Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 PM

141 posts, read 306,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Palo Alto and Los Altos. PA population 66,000 had 470 homes sold for over 1 million. Los Altos was even worse considering it has less than 30,000 people and 382 homes sold, that's one for every 78 residents.

To put that in some context, NYC had 4,557 homes sold. If it had the same ratio as Los Altos, that number would be over 100,000. Ahh Bay Area home prices.
Manhattan, not NYC. And most sales in Manhattan are co-ops and most co-ops aren't reflected in sales figures since the costs are shifted to ownership of the building. It's probably double the 4,577 if you analyze the numbers.

Per capita, Park City, Utah is far ahead of Palo Alto and Los Altos. Park City, UT only has 7,000 people. One $1mm home per 17 residents. Newport Beach is also ahead of Palo Alto and Los Altos.

I wonder why San Francisco and the other Bay Area locales drop dramatically when it gets to multimillion dollar ($5MM+ and $10MM+) home sales.

Last edited by Mr. Don Draper; 12-08-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 PM

27 posts, read 63,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Don Draper View Post

I wonder why San Francisco and the other Bay Area locales drop dramatically when it gets to multimillion dollar ($5MM+ and $10MM+) home sales.
Because there is nothing glamorous and fabulous about San Francisco. And this is coming from someone who lives in San Francisco. That 10 mil + range is driven up by international jet setting playboys, heirs, etc. The Bay Area is good for techies and the few titans who are connected to Silicon Valley but you would never catch some glamorous jet setting heir or heiress, or celebrity, etc wanting to live in or buy a home here. San Francisco? lol. Palo Alto? lolol. In that range, It's NYC, Bevely Hills, Miami Beach, the Hamptons, London, Paris, South of France 99% of the time. That multimillion dollar list doesn't suprise me at all.

Last edited by noe83; 12-08-2013 at 10:37 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
All that work and your list is still wrong. You left out Chicago at 767. Is that because they call you Red John and not Blue John?
Sorry, I forgot Chicago and it wasn't intentional. Happens frequently because most lists, the midwest only has one city making an appearance. This one included.

Who is "they" supposed to be and why would "they" be calling me Blue John either way?

Old 12-09-2013, 02:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Don Draper View Post
You're very right.
Those Miami Beach sales numbers over $5M don't surprise me a bit.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:04 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Is there a further breakdown of this that lists the different ranges for each of the five boroughs of NYC?

I'm guessing the reason why so many of the expensive suburbs of NYC such as those in New Jersey, Westchester, and Long Island are not listed is because they are broken up to into a lot of tiny municipalities.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is there a further breakdown of this that lists the different ranges for each of the five boroughs of NYC?
"NYC" on the list is Manhattan only. They are going by postal address.
Brooklyn is there separately with 732 homes.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
It would be interesting if you adjusted this for the cost of living. San Fran has way more houses that are over $1M selling than Chicago, but I also know from just looking that average housing prices per meter are 175% higher in downtown San Fran and 285% higher in outer areas. Average salaries are 17% higher in San Fran.

I know from looking at Des Moines, Iowa real estate that $1 million houses there are absolute mansions by any definition of the word. In Chicago a $1M house would be maybe $500K in Des Moines. Same for say Chicago or Houston and San Fran and NYC. The actual houses if put side by side would be wildly different if you picked a consistent price and then compared those houses across the cities.

Would just be curious to see if you adjusted everyone's income and housing prices how do they stack up. I mention Des Moines, Iowa because in a study last year it happened to be the #1 metro in the country when you equalize things, because it's mostly higher wage white collar finance type jobs and also has a very low cost of living.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
"NYC" on the list is Manhattan only. They are going by postal address.
Brooklyn is there separately with 732 homes.
Yes, I know. I wanted to know if there was one for all the boroughs and not just Manhattan and Brooklyn. Queens has been hitting the million mark in a lot of middle class neighborhoods and has always had some fairly ritzy neighborhoods, so I figured there'd be pretty substantial numbers. The Bronx has Riverdale. I assume Staten Island has some upscale neighborhoods as well as I've shot in a neighborhood with humongous houses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City