Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,498 times

Advertisements

My DH has job offers in both Milwaukee and Seattle. We currently live in Massachusetts and have never left the Northeast (well, we have been on holiday to Europe twice but never to any other US states!). Both jobs pay the same - Seattle a little more, but the cost of living there is higher, right?

Can you tell us which city we'd prefer?

- Not isolated. We like to travel to nearby cities at the weekend. We currently live within close proximity Boston and Providence.
- We're not big party animals, we like to hang out with people who are educated but not snobby and we prefer bars over clubs.
- Weather. We don't mind rain or snow, but hate the heat. We love white Christmases, so snow every Christmas is a plus!
- Bugs. I have a severe phobia of bugs, so as little bugs as possible.
- Nice/friendly locals.
- Good music scene.

Ask any questions necessary to get a better idea what we're looking for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:23 PM

646 posts, read 926,034 times
seattle is bigger, with more to do, BUT, u gotta ask yourself, can u deal with 8-9 months of gloom and rain
isolation wise, its about the same, since u got chicago right there and portland and vancouver near seattle, id much rather visit chicago though
seattle got nice, mild summers, not much snow, milwaukee got real winters with snow, but killer heat/humidity, id still take milwaukee weather tho due to seattle's constant annoying rain drizzle and depressing greyness

Old 12-10-2013, 10:44 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,016 times
I lived in Seattle for 12 years and that 9 months of drizzle and gloom is total bs. I would take Seattle's weather anyday over Milwaukee's. Milwaukee is not a bad city but to experience a great city surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery is simply awesome. I moved to Seattle from DC and never felt isolated. Also felt I was just in another part of the US. Never got tired of short excursions to Vancouver BC, Portland, the San Juan Islands, Victoria, wine country, or even a ferry ride across the sound. And you will always see people in the streets of Seattle 12 months a year. Winters will feel balmy compared to the winters of Milwaukee and summers are the best in North America imo.

Last edited by pwright1; 12-10-2013 at 11:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I lived in Seattle for 12 years and that 9 months of drizzle and gloom is total bs. I would take Seattle's weather anyday over Milwaukee's. Milwaukee is not a bad city but to experience a great city surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery is simply awesome. I moved to Seattle from DC and never felt isolated. Also felt I was just in another part of the US. Never got tired of short excursions to Vancouver BC, Portland, the San Juan Islands, Victoria, wine country, or even a ferry ride across the sound. And you will always see people in the streets of Seattle 12 months a year. Winters will fill balmy compared to the winters of Milwaukee and summers are the best in North America imo.
no its not, 8 months easy
nice sunny weather is july, aug, sept and some parts of other months, the rest is overcast and rainy

Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
no its not, 8 months easy
nice sunny weather is july, aug, sept and some parts of other months, the rest is overcast and rainy
Yeah, because what would someone who lived there for 12 years know about it.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yeah, because what would someone who lived there for 12 years know about it.
well, they musta forgot cuz i lived there too

Old 12-12-2013, 06:07 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,016 times
People tend to over exaggerate Seattle weather. It's definately not the sunniest place but again that 8 and 9 month stuff is total bs. If it were really like that I would have left long ago. I found Seattle's weather quite nice especially compared to the sweltering, humid summers and very cold winters back east.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
seattle is a beautiful city as well as the surrounding scenery, it would be my choice of the two.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
seattle is bigger, with more to do, BUT, u gotta ask yourself, can u deal with 8-9 months of gloom and rain
isolation wise, its about the same, since u got chicago right there and portland and vancouver near seattle, id much rather visit chicago though
seattle got nice, mild summers, not much snow, milwaukee got real winters with snow, but killer heat/humidity, id still take milwaukee weather tho due to seattle's constant annoying rain drizzle and depressing greyness

Where the hell did you get "8-9 months" from? More like 4 to 5 months tops, and even then there are little breaks. Half the year Seattle is mostly sunny and mild. This old stereotype needs to just finally die.

Besides, some of us actually don't mind the drizzle and greyness. It's not as "depressing" as people make it out to be. I lived in desert cities like Phoenix and Vegas for many years, and I found all that endless, monotonous sunshine much more annoying than our wet season.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Where the hell did you get "8-9 months" from? More like 4 to 5 months tops, and even then there are little breaks. Half the year Seattle is mostly sunny and mild. This old stereotype needs to just finally die.

Besides, some of us actually don't mind the drizzle and greyness. It's not as "depressing" as people make it out to be. I lived in desert cities like Phoenix and Vegas for many years, and I found all that endless, monotonous sunshine much more annoying than our wet season.
4 months? lol ok, stay in denial, but no need to give people wrong info on here
seattle is the cloudiest, rainiest major city in america, case closed, and before u bring stupid stats about other places having more rain, nobod cares cuz it doesnt rain every day like seattle
u kno its foreal when seattle weather people announce expected "sun breaks"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City