U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer and why?
Jackson Mississippi 13 38.24%
Montgomery Alabama 21 61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2013, 08:32 PM

83 posts, read 40,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
That is so true. You'd be hard pressed to find many Alabamians who really like Montgomery. Certainly nobody that I know.

It's sort of ironic that everyone who isn't connected to Alabama instantly chose Montgomery, but both Alabamians chose Jackson LOL
A sample size of 2 alabamians isn't real data. lol

What does living in the premiere city of Miss. gain you over living in a lower tier Alabama city? Because I can't think of one thing Jackson brings to the table that Montgomery doesn't except some taller buildings downtown.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:49 PM

537 posts, read 1,186,451 times
I picked Jackson even though I'm from Alabama. Montgomery is such a dump........not that Jackson's great, but I'd give it points over freaking Montgomery.

Last edited by JMT; 12-28-2013 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Removed off-topic comments.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 PM

3,720 posts, read 2,330,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
A sample size of 2 alabamians isn't real data. lol

What does living in the premiere city of Miss. gain you over living in a lower tier Alabama city? Because I can't think of one thing Jackson brings to the table that Montgomery doesn't except some taller buildings downtown.
Good point, 2 people isn't a good sample, but it does show a trend.

Jackson isn't even Mississippi's "premier" city, it's just the largest, by a lot. Even though Montgomery is overshadowed by Birmingham, Mobile, and Huntsville, it's still the closest match for Jackson. Jackson couldn't go up against any other Alabama city except for Montgomery, the rest would blow Jackson out of the water.

While I am not very familiar with Montgomery, I do think that Jackson has more going for it. A larger and international airport, much nicer suburbs with a lot more shopping outlets, a minor league baseball team, a larger downtown with more activity and museums.

Most of this probably comes from Jackson being about 150,000 people more than Montgomery, but as I said, it is the closest rival.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post

As for the question at hand, honestly I picked Jackson even though I'm from Alabama. Montgomery is such a dump........not that Jackson's great, but I'd give it points over freaking Montgomery.
What makes Montgomery such a dump? I really don't think that highly of Jackson either, but I do think it has a lead over Montgomery. It's still a city of almost 400,000 people, so I imagine it has some interesting stuff and a bit of local culture, but probably nothing that spectacular. I also imagine them both being state capitals that they have some fine dining or decent bars downtown also for all the government employees and senators and such.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 7,001,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Okay fine, let's hear it... what's better about Montgomery? I'm not referring to some arbitrary statistic that doesn't affect ones everyday life either.

Based on your visits, what exactly did you leave Jackson telling yourself that it lacks with regard to Montgomery? What's more appealing about Montgomery, outside of convenience to travel somewhere that isn't Montgomery? Go!
I admit it has been years(7years) since i was last in Jackson but I was in Montgomery briefly a year ago an was impressed with all the development they have done to downtown.

It was really nice.They have invested a lot of money in street-capes and repurpose of old buildings.
I was there on a weekend night and it was somewhat vibrant.I saw blacks and whites in the same area.

I think there really is something to be said about having a big military installation nearby adds a little more diversity as one posted said previously.
This was just blocks from the Capitol building,

I know Jackson also has "divisive" mayor.He reminds me of the former mayor of Macon Georgia.Deep racial undertones of historic racism and poverty led by a Nation of Islam follower who changed while in office.Business community hated him but the poor blacks felt empower by him.

Meanwhile like Jackson and its 3 decade population decline,Macon also kept hemorrhaging jobs and people.

Has Jackson also improved that much?I honestly don't know.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:02 PM

2,287 posts, read 1,379,750 times

Montgomery downtown - YouTube

Montgomery downtown is very underrated.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:43 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,875,031 times
I will take Montgomery over Jackson because of location but the fact that the premiere city in Mississippi is being compared to the least liked city out of the top four in Alabama says a lot to me.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post

Montgomery downtown - YouTube

Montgomery downtown is very underrated.
After seeing this I can more accurately compare the differences in the two.

Downtown Montgomery appears to be in better shape, the buildings have a refurbished and fresh look, even the old ones are in good condition. The roads in Montgomery are INFINTELY better. City streets in downtown Jackson are horrendous. Montgomery has more of a medium sized town appeal in the downtown with all the smaller shops and buildings.

On the other hand, Jackson looks and feels bigger in its downtown. They obviously have more highrises and skyscrapers. However, Jackson's streets are often kinda dead, and just outside of downtown on almost every side Jackson's dumpy neighborhoods await.

Something Jackson has that I'm not sure if Montgomery has is a Coliseum. Lots of events are held in Jackson's Coliseum, it's a great amenity for the city to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City