U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer and why?
Jackson Mississippi 20 31.75%
Montgomery Alabama 43 68.25%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:22 AM

13,000 posts, read 15,858,959 times

Advertisements

Never heard anyone say they like Jackson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 05:35 PM

5,677 posts, read 6,929,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Never heard anyone say they like Jackson.
Was wondering where the person who's so down on Mississippi was at, thanks for checking in.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:52 PM

10,622 posts, read 15,386,863 times
Been to both briefly for business reasons. Based on my business experiences in each, I'd choose Jackson.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:18 PM

74 posts, read 49,676 times
I've spent time in both and like them both for what is expected of a metro of that size. In-town Jackson is grittier and has more suburban retail development (also issues between state legislature and Jackson). Montgomery city limits is better and has a lot more retail development therefore it helps the cities tax base which gives it the better infrastructure. I prefer Montgomery but Jackson does have a better location (Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville and Birmingham under 6 hour drive)

Old 12-09-2015, 09:48 PM

22,364 posts, read 18,340,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
I've spent time in both and like them both for what is expected of a metro of that size. In-town Jackson is grittier and has more suburban retail development (also issues between state legislature and Jackson). Montgomery city limits is better and has a lot more retail development therefore it helps the cities tax base which gives it the better infrastructure. I prefer Montgomery but Jackson does have a better location (Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville and Birmingham under 6 hour drive)
Eh, I think location is probably a tie. Montgomery is closer to the good Gulf Coast beaches of Alabama and Florida, Atlantic Coast beaches near Savannah and Jacksonville, Atlanta, and the mountains and the cities in the vicinity (Chattanooga, Knoxville, Asheville).

Old 05-07-2017, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Which city is better off? Jackson
Which is more desirable? To me, definitely Jackson.
Which has more culture? Tie. They're quite similar in this regard IMO.
Which city is better to visit? Neither, so Jackson by default.
Which city do you prefer and why? Definitely Jackson.

I'm comfortably familiar with both, and I'd say Jackson wins here for sure. I've always said that Montgomery is Jackson's closest replica in the state of Alabama. Even the terrain is quite similar around both metros with minor topographical variations. Montgomery has pockets of spanish moss while Jackson doesn't, but both are quite flat.

I genuinely like Jack-town better than the gump, so given the choice, I would choose Jackson many times over. Jackson has always felt more developed, and well rounded overall as a city than Montgomery to me. Jackson seems to have better shopping, better suburbs, and an undoubtedly larger skyline.

Jackson wins.
Jackson is smaller than Montgomery al for population and city size Montgomery land area is 158 square miles Jackson is 110 in land size skyline do not have anything to do with city size

Old 05-07-2017, 09:14 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,285,474 times
Jackson's economy [29B] is also considerably larger than Montgomery's [17B].

This was several years ago, but I believe the skyline comment may have just been a way of substantiating a general premise that Jackson always felt more comprehensive than Montgomery. They're similar in scope, but overall my opinion hasn't changed.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 PM

9,352 posts, read 1,016,729 times
Montgomery cuz its in Alabama

Old 05-10-2017, 02:26 PM

22,364 posts, read 18,340,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Montgomery cuz its in Alabama
Is that your only rationale for ever choosing one place over another? Are arbitrary state borders the only thing that matter?

Old 05-10-2017, 04:07 PM

587 posts, read 151,806 times
I've been to Jackson several times. Montgomery, on the other hand, I used to travel there on biz two days a week. Finally, my client came to me and asked, "M, what would it take for you to move here?" My reply? "A gun to my head. And even then I'd make a break for it."

So, Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City