Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

LV is more an escape not a place to live my point on th3 others

LV is most definitely active
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Atlantic City...?
I've noticed that you're not the sharpest tool in the tool thing.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes, your definition is so broad that it excludes all of the things that virtually every single downtown in America has....
Well I'm very open minded

I feel some cities can have more than one downtown. I wonder what civic and cultural institutions Century City in LA has.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
LV is more an escape not a place to live my point on th3 others

LV is most definitely active
Though the thread topic is basically daytime population and nightime vibrancy, people living there has little to do with it...

Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I feel some cities can have more than one downtown.
That's true. NYC is the perfect example of this with Midtown and FiDi. A city can clearly have more than one downtown. But that doesn't mean that any place with "activity" is a downtown. Nor does it mean that other employment/activity centers will replace the regional understanding of "downtown." For all of LA's decentralization and polycentrism, there's still a clear idea there of what constitutes DTLA and what doesn't.

Manhattan and Atlanta are actually somewhat similar in that you have two distinct CBDs that have sort of melded together into one giant CBD. There's still separation, to be sure, but most people will think of the region's "downtown" as the area below 59th Street. This is why Demographia and other sources define the Manhattan CBD as such. Atlanta has sort of become this way with more Class A office space being concentrated in Midtown than Downtown (I believe). The line between the two is much hazier than it was, say, 30 or 35 years ago.

And it's this area where the vast bulk of civic and cultural offerings in the region are to be found. In Atlanta, you've got Piedmont Park, the High, the Coke Museum, CNN, Centennial Park, the State House, etc. There's really no need to list everything from Midtown Manhattan south. While there are other attractions around both regions, the primary civic and cultural institutions are all within these CBDs.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
And NYC I'm sure has official boundaries for "Downtown" as well, no? Yet here you are arguing about Midtown.

Downtown in the geographical sense YES. Anything below 34th Street is "Downtown". If you knew anything about this city you would know this simple distinction and how we communicate. New York is the exception once again.

Quote:
Ok, again you're the one that brought up the whole "official" designation by the city argument. YES or NO, does NYC have an offocially designated area that is called "downtown"? And is that area Midtown?[/b]
signs. . .
Downtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Downtown is a term primarily used in North America by English speakers to refer to a city's core (or center) or CBD (Central Business District)
Our CBD is Midtown, Manhattan. In other cities that's referred to as Downtown. Why? We'll, because it's our city core/#1 CBD (Sorry NY excels and have multiple CBD's, I know it's confusing for you). I honestly don't understand why you can't grasp this. Lol, so sad. The Strip isn't a Downtown because Las Vegas has a designated area that is the Central Business District. And that area is not on the strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's true. NYC is the perfect example of this with Midtown and FiDi. A city can clearly have more than one downtown. But that doesn't mean that any place with "activity" is a downtown. Nor does it mean that other employment/activity centers will replace the regional understanding of "downtown." For all of LA's decentralization and polycentrism, there's still a clear idea there of what constitutes DTLA and what doesn't.
Exactly! By his logic Williamsburg is the new Downtown Brooklyn LOL!
Or could be considered Downtown.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
To be fair, "downtown" is a definition that will vary from city to city. It's a concept. Sometimes "downtown" will incorporate more than the CBD (e.g., LA). Other times, the definition is pretty rigid (e.g., DC). It's just that I've never heard anyone refer to the Las Vegas Strip as "downtown" in any way, shape or form. The Las Vegas Strip is just that: the Las Vegas Strip.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
In Europe, most people just call the 'downtown' areas, 'Central (insert city here)'. Central Paris is generally where you can find the famous museums, great shopping, and tourist attractions.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 PM

409 posts, read 587,313 times
Quote:
Well I'm very open minded

I feel some cities can have more than one downtown. I wonder what civic and cultural institutions Century City in LA has.
Century City isn't a downtown, and isn't particularly vibrant (especially nighttime).

Adjacent Westwood, yes, moreso.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM

409 posts, read 587,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Exactly! By his logic Williamsburg is the new Downtown Brooklyn LOL!
Or could be considered Downtown.
If Williamsburg were the central business district of Brooklyn, then yes.

But it isn't. So wrong (yet again).

The central business district of Brooklyn is Downtown Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City