Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
ny stinks, awful weather + having to rely on public transit
no thanks

I would take NYC anyday over SF .

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 11-08-2010 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM

115 posts, read 149,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I would take NYC anyday over SF .

You're not alone if we look at the population shifts between the two.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
nyc doesnt stink. It has all seasons. And its possible to have a car in new york and completely disregard public transport. WTF are u saying
Oh ok it smells like roses ur right what am I saying.... rain in the summer (lol wtf) humid, muggy heat, blistering cold... yes that's what I want
I have several friends and cousins in nyc that don't know how to drive... why.. because theyride buses everywhere. Everytime I visit were going out we have to wait for trains n buses to get everywhere, like I'm 15 years old and my old man doesn't let me drive the car
How convenient. My recurring nose bleeds are another wonderful part of that overcrowded nightmare.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Oh ok it smells like roses ur right what am I saying.... rain in the summer (lol wtf) humid, muggy heat, blistering cold... yes that's what I want
I have several friends and cousins in nyc that don't know how to drive... why.. because theyride buses everywhere. Everytime I visit were going out we have to wait for trains n buses to get everywhere, like I'm 15 years old and my old man doesn't let me drive the car
How convenient. My recurring nose bleeds are another wonderful part of that overcrowded nightmare.
Nobody says it smells like roses. What place smells like roses. NYC has no general odor, a street in new york might smell. Not the city itself

Id rather have that than cold most of the time or hot most of the time.

so are u really imposing your friends situation on others. LOL. Point is riding the subway is not a residency requirement.lol

Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
To me the not driving and waiting for a bus sounds great. I drive about once per year on a road trip and I could not imagine having to drive all the time. Diffrent strokes I guess. Also we're comparing Nyc and SF, not Houston. I'm sure there are a ton of ppl in S.F. who rarely drive.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Nobody says it smells like roses. What place smells like roses. NYC has no general odor, a street in new york might smell. Not the city itself

Id rather have that than cold most of the time or hot most of the time.

so are u really imposing your friends situation on others. LOL. Point is riding the subway is not a residency requirement.lol
it stinks, it smells like 60% less bad than new jersey does, which smells like garbage. most places in manhattan really stink, even the wonderful "soho" has a lot of stagnated water in holes in the street that stink. then you mix that with car exhaust, cigarette smoke and whatever steam permeating from the underground and you have a bad situation.
im glad you didnt try to argue that armpit humid heat and rain in the summer doesnt suck. because it does.
and people not knowing how to drive there is more common than you'd like to admit. grown people who never learned how to drive. absurd. people going on dates riding buses... family comes to visit and everybody has to buy a metro card lol. omg a souvenir yay i smelled urine in the subway today it was 400 degrees and everybody was sweating

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
it stinks, it smells like 60% less bad than new jersey does, which smells like garbage. most places in manhattan really stink, even the wonderful "soho" has a lot of stagnated water in holes in the street that stink. then you mix that with car exhaust, cigarette smoke and whatever steam permeating from the underground and you have a bad situation.
im glad you didnt try to argue that armpit humid heat and rain in the summer doesnt suck. because it does.
and people not knowing how to drive there is more common than you'd like to admit. grown people who never learned how to drive. absurd. people going on dates riding buses... family comes to visit and everybody has to buy a metro card lol. omg a souvenir yay i smelled urine in the subway today it was 400 degrees and everybody was sweating
There are parts of new jersey that carry a general stench in the air. Theres no part of the city that carries a stench. The smell of nyc is on a block by block basis. One block can smell like "wtf" because of garbage on the streets the next can smell like food or a cinnabun or something. How much are u in nyc anyway to even have an opinion

Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 PM

seeing as how i had family from queens and bronx (dont know what part of bronx) and friends in crown heights i think i'd know. i was there in the beginning of the year. i went to grimaldi's which was overrated and extra salty because of the stupid olives, and saw "dumbo" which they made a big deal of, same with brooklyn bowl in nerd heaven williamsburg.. all of these places we went to on a bus or train. even when it rained. i had to wait for buses in the rain or climb out of the subway like a rat.
the parts i did like were the areas like the rich jew neighborhoods near the met museum. unfortunately u have to be rich to live there. i had pio pio peruvian chicken. heard of it? effing FANTASTIC. same with shake shack. speaking of the met, how about being able to pay what you think is "appropriate" for admission? that day my friend and i felt that 50 cents was appropriate. donations they call them i think. while suckers paid the full $20 dollars to get in.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
you're aware that the car that you own that you can't wait to climb into more than likely comes from a country far ahead of the u.s. as far as mass transit, correct?

how do you feel about cities where ppl are "like teenagers" because they "don't drive" such as london, tokyo, rome, madrid, paris, munich, regensburg, barcelona, osaka, rio, mexico city, chicago, etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
Quote:
speaking of the met, how about being able to pay what you think is "appropriate" for admission? that day my friend and i felt that 50 cents was appropriate. donations they call them i think. while suckers paid the full $20 dollars to get in.
I dunno maybe those people were paying full admission because they can afford it since they don't have to make car payments, pay car insurance, gas, maintenance, parking, etc. So who's the sucker again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City