U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,163,154 times
Reputation: 5697

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd give this one to the National Harbor. Easily.

For one, the Harbor is on the water.
Meh. #51 Living by the water | Stuff White People Like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
673 posts, read 875,845 times
Reputation: 274
National Harbor shouldn't even be considered a harbor. Its not even in DC. It doesn't even have transportation besides the water taxi. Those Developers think building Condos on water resembling a Northern Virginia Towne center with a statue of a man sinking in sand is "State of the Art". They just tried to make DC have a harbor that could compete with the Inner harbor but failed. Maybe those outlets will bring some vibrancy into this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Haha. It is pretty tight though. It's a really nice place during the summer months. They have these long piers with the colored lights surrounding them and all. Really good place to grab an ice cream cone with a date and walk around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
National Harbor shouldn't even be considered a harbor. Its not even in DC. It doesn't even have transportation besides the water taxi. Those Developers think building Condos on water resembling a Northern Virginia Towne center with a statue of a man sinking in sand is "State of the Art". They just tried to make DC have a harbor that could compete with the Inner harbor but failed. Maybe those outlets will bring some vibrancy into this place.
Well, I will say that the usual DC posters were mad at some of us for bringing up the DC burbs last week (when comparing it to Atlanta). We were told to stick to the city propers. This is an example of choosing the suburbs when it suits your agenda. In another thread, I'm sure the suburbs won't count.

To be honest, however, I do enjoy the National Harbor more than the Baltimore Harbor. No knock on B-more. It just looks nicer to me. And I think there's more to do there. The Gaylord alone has a lot of stuff to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,163,154 times
Reputation: 5697
Been to both, don't really care for either. The movie theater at Atlantic Station is big though. I just wish it was AMC instead of Regal though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
9,424 posts, read 4,329,650 times
Reputation: 5254
I live in Alexandria, Va., right across the river fron National Harbor. From the Va. shoreline National Harbor looks like a boring generic shopping mall. I rode my bike over there one day and it doesn't look any better up close. Nothing of interest that I could see. It would have been much better had it been left in its' natural state (such as it was).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,992 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Reputation: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
National Harbor shouldn't even be considered a harbor. Its not even in DC. It doesn't even have transportation besides the water taxi. Those Developers think building Condos on water resembling a Northern Virginia Towne center with a statue of a man sinking in sand is "State of the Art". They just tried to make DC have a harbor that could compete with the Inner harbor but failed. Maybe those outlets will bring some vibrancy into this place.
National Harbor is far from a failure, if you look at the renderings from back in 2005 it pretty much looks exactly like it. Peterson executed what he envisioned decades ago for that development. It was never supposed to rival Baltimore harbor, but instead there to compliment the other multiple waterfront developments along the Potomac and some what be that last anchoring leg of a string of waterfront developments in DC. NH is already in the suburbs outside of the Beltway. This is why as Bajan said that "cookie cutter" look of the harbor does not bother me that much at all. Could you imagine if it was put in Downtown DC somewhere or therefore the equivalent to where Atlantic Station is located in Atlanta? Then I would complain a lot more. It's an addition to PG County like no other.

Atlantic Station is really not comparable to NH in any way. Atlantic Station is home to multiple big box retailers Target, Ikea, Dillards. Which is the opposite of the original vision of National Harbor. Peterson intentionally gated off the harbor from surrounding areas and for the most part held true to not bringing big box stores to NH. Atlantic Station has a Publix, NH has no major grocery store. Condo/apartments are about equal at both. NH has the largest non-gaming hotel/ convention center on the east coast, not to mention the Westin, Wyndham Vacation Resort, Aloft among others (I'm not even bringing MGM to the conversation for obvious reasons). I used to prefer the dining options at Atlantic Station more than NH but due to the fact they share some of the same restaurants and my thinking about it, I would say maybe it's a draw if not slight edge to NH.

As far as retail is concerned, i really look at NH as divided into two sides and although that area where the Tanger Outlets are now located i truly don't see as a connected part of the National Harbor. Therefore it's hard for me to add this to the argument, but it technically is a part of NH, and with that addition the retail at National Harbor currently crushes Atlantic Station.

All of this said, and I'm not even bringing MGM into the equation like i said for obvious reasons, that wouldn't even make sense to compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
These both suck, IMO. Both are generic, car-oriented "new urbanist" type outdoor mall places. They're basically the modern-day version of malls.

If I have to pick, I go with Atlantic Station, as at least it's in the city proper, and close to transit. Washington Harbor is in the middle of nowhere in PG County.

I attended a convention in Washington Harbor, and you might as well be visiting the Moon. You are nowhere close to anything, and there is no way to get to anything unless you take the shuttle vans. The restaurants are all those mall-oriented chain-type places.
Its National Harbor, not Washington Harbor. Washington Harbor is located in Georgetown. And how the hell is it in "the middle of nowhere" when central DC is just less than a 12 minute drive and Alexandria, VA is just across the Potomac, and it lies close to fairly wealthy and diverse Fort Washington? Not to mention that it's connected by Metro Bus and shuttle buses that are linked to the Branch Ave MetroRail station. Hardly what I'd call "the middle of nowhere".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
National Harbor is far from a failure, if you look at the renderings from back in 2005 it pretty much looks exactly like it. Peterson executed what he envisioned decades ago for that development. It was never supposed to rival Baltimore harbor, but instead there to compliment the other multiple waterfront developments along the Potomac and some what be that last anchoring leg of a string of waterfront developments in DC. NH is already in the suburbs outside of the Beltway. This is why as Bajan said that "cookie cutter" look of the harbor does not bother me that much at all. Could you imagine if it was put in Downtown DC somewhere or therefore the equivalent to where Atlantic Station is located in Atlanta? Then I would complain a lot more. It's an addition to PG County like no other.

Atlantic Station is really not comparable to NH in any way. Atlantic Station is home to multiple big box retailers Target, Ikea, Dillards. Which is the opposite of the original vision of National Harbor. Peterson intentionally gated off the harbor from surrounding areas and for the most part held true to not bringing big box stores to NH. Atlantic Station has a Publix, NH has no major grocery store. Condo/apartments are about equal at both. NH has the largest non-gaming hotel/ convention center on the east coast, not to mention the Westin, Wyndham Vacation Resort, Aloft among others (I'm not even bringing MGM to the conversation for obvious reasons). I used to prefer the dining options at Atlantic Station more than NH but due to the fact they share some of the same restaurants and my thinking about it, I would say maybe it's a draw if not slight edge to NH.

As far as retail is concerned, i really look at NH as divided into two sides and although that area where the Tanger Outlets are now located i truly don't see as a connected part of the National Harbor. Therefore it's hard for me to add this to the argument, but it technically is a part of NH, and with that addition the retail at National Harbor currently crushes Atlantic Station.

All of this said, and I'm not even bringing MGM into the equation like i said for obvious reasons, that wouldn't even make sense to compare.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Reputation: 5662
I hate Atlantic Station, if National Harbor is anything like it, I'm sure I'd hate it also. You also have to walk over a freeway or take a bus to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 1,937,763 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Its National Harbor, not Washington Harbor. Washington Harbor is located in Georgetown. And how the hell is it in "the middle of nowhere" when central DC is just less than a 12 minute drive and Alexandria, VA is just across the Potomac, and it lies close to fairly wealthy and diverse Fort Washington? Not to mention that it's connected by Metro Bus and shuttle buses that are linked to the Branch Ave MetroRail station. Hardly what I'd call "the middle of nowhere".
It's in the poorest suburban county in the DC area, and surrounded by fields, empty spaces and crap suburbs. There's no rail, no urbanity, no desirable nearby suburbs.

That's why it's "the middle of nowhere". It's basically the least desirable possible location in the entire DC Metro (South PG county).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top