Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these cities has your favorite areas to visit/live outside of downtown?
NYC outside Manhattan 13 17.57%
Los Angeles outside downtown 30 40.54%
Chicago outside Loop/Mag Mile/River North 16 21.62%
Washington DC outside downtown 8 10.81%
Toronto outside downtown 6 8.11%
Philadelphia outside Center City 5 6.76%
San Francisco outside downtown 16 21.62%
Boston outside downtown/Back Bay 10 13.51%
Montreal outside Centreville 3 4.05%
Seattle outside downtown 9 12.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't see how LA could lose this one. Although Miami could compete for a strong 4th, because of Miami Beach. But no Southern cities were included. The decentralization of Southern cities, would give cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas strong 4th, 5th, and 6th rankings.

Agree Miami should have been a choice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This is a little vague, because it doesn't really define "Downtown", but I'm going to go by the obvious "City Center" idea, and in that case, LA wins this one.

LA is one of the few cities in the US where the best neighborhoods are far, far away from Downtown. All of it's world famous neighborhoods are located minimum around 10 miles from DT.
That is a bit of an exaggeration. Hollywood is around 5 miles away. The Miracle Mile is about 5 miles away. USC/CA Science Center is about 3 miles away. Beverly Hills is 8 miles away. Universal City / Studio City is 8 miles away. Pasadena is 9 miles away.

Venice, Santa Monica, Westwood etc. yes those are in the 10+ miles away radius.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
For DC, I would prefer to live in Logan Circle, Capitol Hill, Fort Dupont, Takoma, Navy Yard, Trinidad (the southern part closer to H Street), maybe Petworth, Brookland, or Adams Morgan. I like visiting Downtown DC, but I'm not really interested in living there.

For LA, I would like to live in Mid-Wilshire, Venice, Santa Monica, the Fairfax District, Silver Lake, Koreatown, Baldwin Hills, West Hollywood, Hollywood, Los Feliz, East Hollywood, or Westwood. I wouldn't mind living in the Historic Core neighborhood of DTLA though.

For the NYC, I would love to live in Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Clinton Hill, Bay Ridge, Williamsburg, Jackson Heights, Astoria, Sunnyside, or Brooklyn Heights. The only neighborhoods in Manhattan I'm interested in living in are the Upper West Side and Greenwich Village.

These were for cities I've been to.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I'd go with NYC. Plenty of nice spots and a few beautiful neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Queens has its nice spots, too. Personally would prefer to live outside of Manhattan if I lived in NYC.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 PM

644 posts, read 1,018,415 times
Chicago. tbh I really dont care for the loop that much. Im a bargain shopper. I get why huge numbers of people tend to go there, (tourists, shoppers and workers) but I prefer the other neighborhoods to DT.

L.A. Is another. Little Armenia, Echo Park, Koreatown, SM. I love em. Although DTLA is way better than other cities that like to claim they have more "vibrant" cbd`s.

And there`s also St. Louis. Even though their DT is making a comeback, that city shines (moreso than cities way larger) in its neighborhoods. Thats one city that puts the neighbor in the word neighborhood. Such a friendly city.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This is a little vague, because it doesn't really define "Downtown", but I'm going to go by the obvious "City Center" idea, and in that case, LA wins this one.

LA is one of the few cities in the US where the best neighborhoods are far, far away from Downtown. All of it's world famous neighborhoods are located minimum around 10 miles from DT.
Far far away? Some of LA`s best neighborhoods are adjacent to DTLA.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 PM

Famous? Thats a whole different subject.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
San Francisco...Muir Woods, Russian River, Napa Valley, Alcatraz, Sausalito, Monterrey, Golden Gate Park, Yosemite, etc, etc, etc

Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I mean LA for sure, who goes to LA to hang out downtown? I can't think of another city where the amount of draws and things to do is so high outside of downtown and downtown is just kinda there.

DC as well, at least for me. The museums are good to see, but otherwise downtown DC is pretty damn blah. Outside areas are great though.

Chicago has great areas along the north side neighborhoods, Hyde Park, etc - but it's still greatly overshadowed by the sheer amount of stuff to do concentrated downtown.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmark55 View Post
I can see how LA would win this considering most of the desirable part in the metro are in the westside. Take that out though you barely have a few here and there left like Burbank.
Hollywood, Los Feliz, Echo Park, Fairfax, Hancock Park are all desirable neighborhoods not on the Westside and not in DTLA. And if you are counting Burbank there is also Glendale and Pasadena as two desirable non-Westside cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City