Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one stacks up better for both personal preference and overall statistics.
Atlanta (Personal) 27 47.37%
Orlampa (Personal) 23 40.35%
Atlanta (By the numbers) 35 61.40%
Orlampa (By the numbers) 6 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Though I don't know how Atlanta might be any different than Jacksonville or other areas in North Florida. If anything, Jacksonville might have more of what you're describing compared to Atlanta. But compared to Orlando and Tampa, there might be some differences.
Jacksonville and most of north Florida are definitely more characteristically Southern and conservative than Atlanta, no question. Jacksonville is one of the most politically conservative larger metros in the country, actually. Tallahassee actually seems to share more characteristics with Atlanta, being a left-leaning capital city and college town.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
"Yes man/sir?"Its called "civility and ettiquette".If people had more of these things,they would act more like people with dignity and grace.Who in the heck nowadays talks about "damn yankees"?This is not "Gone With The Wind".LOL

The scenery is more diverse in the Atlanta area.Its not just hiking,but sightseeing things like historical sites,better arts,more diverse,food scene,more progrssive minded people,better shopping eytc.

If you don't know what stands out in Atlanta versus Tampa or Orlando then I can't help you.There is a lot more to offer in Atlanta(except theme parks and beaches).One only has to visit each area for a week to see the difference.

To each there own
I'm actually very interested in what you think that might be? Yes Atlanta is a bigger city, any idiot could see that. However the urbanity of Atlanta is truly short lived and if I was looking for a truly urban experience, I'm sorry but Atlanta wouldn't be it. That said Orlando and Tamps are not models in this department either so the weather, attractions, and beaches/semi-tropical nature of our state (which you so easily put aside in declaring Atlanta the winner) really do matter to many and therefore influence the overall lifestyle here which has made this state so attractive that it now boasts nearly 20 million residents.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Jacksonville and most of north Florida are definitely more characteristically Southern and conservative than Atlanta, no question. Jacksonville is one of the most politically conservative larger metros in the country, actually. Tallahassee actually seems to share more characteristics with Atlanta, being a left-leaning capital city and college town.
Tallahassee, Atlanta, Athens, Gainesville are all fairly liberal places. Places like Jacksonville, Macon, Ocala, Valdosta, Pensacola, Montgomery, Dothan... no way. Tallahassee is also the most educated city in Florida. The people in these cities tend to be pretty different.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'm actually very interested in what you think that might be? Yes Atlanta is a bigger city, any idiot could see that. However the urbanity of Atlanta is truly short lived and if I was looking for a truly urban experience, I'm sorry but Atlanta wouldn't be it. That said Orlando and Tamps are not models in this department either so the weather, attractions, and beaches/semi-tropical nature of our state (which you so easily put aside in declaring Atlanta the winner) really do matter to many and therefore influence the overall lifestyle here which has made this state so attractive that it now boasts nearly 20 million residents.
True, but unfortunately it has made the state attractive mainly to retirees. Educated professionals and young families are choosing Atlanta (and other Southern cities, like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, the Texas cities, etc.) in droves over the Florida cities.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
True, but unfortunately it has made the state attractive mainly to retirees. Educated professionals and young families are choosing Atlanta (and other Southern cities, like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, the Texas cities, etc.) in droves over the Florida cities.
Professional jobs requiring advanced education from reputable schools are hard to come by in Central Florida. A simple search on indeed or simplyhired of the types of jobs and salaries available in Atlanta vs. these two should be a clear winner for Atlanta, or as you say, Charlotte or somewhere like Dallas are also worlds better.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Professional jobs requiring advanced education from reputable schools are hard to come by in Central Florida. A simple search on indeed or simplyhired of the types of jobs and salaries available in Atlanta vs. these two should be a clear winner for Atlanta, or as you say, Charlotte or somewhere like Dallas are also worlds better.
Hey guys, I actually agree with you 100% on the job market thing when it comes to Atlanta vs any major metro in Florida, not just Orlando for that matter. Now UCF, UF, and USF are actually great schools all in Central Florida, and they're just the big ones. Also, we do have non-service sector jobs, they are just fewer and farther in between so it makes the competition for them much tougher.

But, the part I was referring to is what does one have "access" to in Atlanta that they don't in CFL? Actually this is my argument about most cities outside of the big 3 (NY, LA, CHI). Outside of those 3, most mid-sized to big cities offer similar levels of dining, entertainment, and lifestyle options, that really one should pick a home based on personal preference like the climate, overall vibe, proximity to family (or distance lol), etc. So again, I'd like to see somebody explain how my life would be much different in Atlanta vs Orlampa, other than the stuff I just mentioned about climate, and vibe, etc.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Its more about quality than quanity although being in a larger metro often gives you that quanity
Atlanta is the best example of urbanity in the South after Miami and even that is a matter of a opinion.
If you want the closest thing to rbanity in the South;then Atlanta is a top contender.
No one wanting an urban experience is going to pick Tampa or Orlando over Atlanta for urbanity either.

It may not be urban like Northeastern cities but Orlando nor Tampa can offer the level of urbanity of even Atlanta.

For instance a subway.It really is a big difference in how urban a city can be.I can ride to all the major parts of the city in minutes by walking from my house to the station oin 10 minues.

So in the South.Yes.Its the best optoons for living a urban life in a major city.

Now yes I did so easily put Orlando aside with its acccess to theme parks.Why?Becuase who goes to theme parks more than once a year?Most people don't
At least there are amusement parks in Atlanta but I have not been to Six Flags here in Atlanta in 7years.So that is another thing outside of geography that you can do in Orlando or Atlanta.
Maybe because I'm now older but im still young enough to go.Just don't care to that often.

I'd much rather have access to things people can do everyday like Atlanta BeltLine,or parks like Piedmont or Stone Mountain Park.

I can also see some great art exhitbits that would never go to Tampa or Orlando in my lifetime.
Like the partnership the High Museum in Atlanta has with the Louve,or the largest Natural History Museums South of D.C.
Se real authenic Egyptian,Greek and Roman articfacts like I do at the Michael C.Carlos Museum.

Or if you are a good student go to your choice of several top ranked universities

In Atlanta you are more likely to make more money and be better educated.Acess to muticultural events,foods and culture.
For example I went to the largest BAPS Hindu Temple outside of India for a Diwali Festival.

Shopping is another big thing.Especially high end shopping.

We don't have beaches like in Florida in Atlanta but there is water sking and other activities you can do in the water.
Can you go hiking?No.In Florida hiking is called "going for a walk."

I can also go to museums and historical sites that tell of the biggest war in U.S. history.I like history.It contributes to culture

Some of those may seem like they are not big deal but collectively it what makes the city of Atlanta a major city with greater mass appeal versus Orlando/Tampa regional medium sized cities that has only to rely on beaches and theme parks that make them both lack character and history.That's some thing you just can't manufacture.

Last edited by afonega1; 01-29-2014 at 07:29 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Dont see it at all,but please elaborate on how the suburbs in those cities offer more than those in Atlanta?
Most cities in America have larger suburban populations than the city.

28 counties that make up the Atlanta area.One of the largest area in the U.S. and somehow cannot offer more variety than cities less than half its size?

You can go hiking,boating,and esperience history over 150 years old in many of Atlanta's suburbs.Florida is flat.

At least in some of Atlanta's suburbs,they have public transportation.Something that dos notb exist in all those cities you mentioned.
Here are some of Atlanta's.
http://http://www.hgtv.com/the-story...deo/index.html
http://http://www.nytimes.com/2009/0...html?th&emc=th

"Discover Life at 15 mph" in Peachtree City - YouTube

Woodstock
http://www.atlantarealestateexperts....oodstockga.jpg

Downtown Decatur Georgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ae3kQBjwqU

Duluth,Suwaunee,Norcross and Lawrenceville are the most diverse suburbs in the Southeast.Charlotte,Nashville or Orlando and Tampa don't have suburbs like those
Both Tampa and Orlando have some lovely neighborhoods (I lived in the latter). South Tampa neighborhoods like Davis Islands, Hyde Park and Palma Ceia or Orlando's Winter Park, College Park and Maitland are some of my favorites of any American city.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 AM

I apreciate your answers and as you may know from your past interactions with me, I freakin' love Atlanta and wanted to move there for a long time, believe it or not, for a more urban experience in the south. I'm settled in Florida now (for the better for me personally), which is the greater point our back and forth is making, but I do have some serious rebuttals to make regarding your statements below:

Quote:
Its more about quality than quanity although being in a larger metro often gives you that quanity
Atlanta is the best example of urbanity in the South after Miami and even that is a matter of a opinion.
If you want the closest thing to rbanity in the South;then Atlanta is a top contender.
No one wanting an urban experience is going to pick Tampa or Orlando over Atlanta for urbanity either.

It may not be urban like Northeastern cities but Orlando nor Tampa can offer the level of urbanity of even Atlanta.

For instance a subway.It really is a big difference in how urban a city can be.I can ride to all the major parts of the city in minutes by walking from my house to the station oin 10 minues.

So in the South.Yes.Its the best optoons for living a urban life in a major city.
I will actually give Atlanta's CBD and Midtown a major bump in Urbanity over anything in Florida, with only South Beach and downtown Orlando even coming close. Once cannot easily hop on a heavy rail system in Miami and get to the most interesting place in the city/metro which is of course Miami Beach. One can however go from Buckhead to Five Points in minutes, or even out to some principle suburbs. To summarize what I'm saying MARTA rocks. I still contend that immediately outside of the "urban" areas of Atlanta, one's day to day experience of the city is really not particularly urban and/or different than CFL, other than the vibe and such. I really wouldn't move to Atlanta to live the urban life along a very narrow stretch of high and mid-rise development in which the urbanity drops off really fast as soon as you venture off the beaten path. I actually prefer how Orlando has a small, yet charming downtown that is fully connected with the entirety of Orlando's urban experience, sorta like Midtown up your way. So I guess this is a moot point since you all have an example of this too. What I am stressing though, is that if I lived in Atlanta, I'd live in midtown and really have little interest in going downtown for the few worthwhile things there (which would require time and money) versus living in a smaller more compact downtown/urban environ where the NBA arena is near the residential, which is near the dining, which is near the clubs, etc.

Quote:
Now yes I did so easily put Orlando aside with its acccess to theme parks.Why?Becuase who goes to theme parks more than once a year?Most people don't
At least there are amusement parks in Atlanta but I have not been to Six Flags here in Atlanta in 7years.So that is another thing outside of geography that you can do in Orlando or Atlanta.
Maybe because I'm now older but im still young enough to go.Just don't care to that often.
Yes, I agree, most people live their daily lives going from work to the office, to the store, and back home. I mean really how many times a year do people living in metro NYC see a $150 per ticket (for good seats) show on Broadway, or tour the Statue of Liberty? Maybe less than once per year but it is still nice that you have access to that in New York City and let me tell you, having access to the Walt Disney World's or Universal's world class parks and entertainment is very nice for a special night out or a fun day off. I do tend to go for free since many friends work there so it tends to skew my feelings for the parks. And PS, Six Flags is ok for a little regional park, but we're used to the best of the best so maybe you'd go back sooner if you were in my position.

Quote:
I can also see some great art exhitbits that would never go to Tampa or Orlando in my lifetime.
Like the partnership the High Museum in Atlanta has with the Louve,or the largest Natural History Museums South of D.C.
Se real authenic Egyptian,Greek and Roman articfacts like I do at the Michael C.Carlos Museum.
I'm not a museum guy at all, so this may be true. Every time I go back to Chicago, my family takes me to the museums which blow Atlanta's away, and truly, I'm not even that impressed/entertained/whatever. Looking at stuff is simply not that interesting to me, I probably have the over stimulation of growing up in the US's most visited city to thank for that.

Quote:
In Atlanta you are more likely to make more money and be better educated.Acess to muticultural events,foods and culture.
For example I went to the largest BAPS Hindu Temple outside of India for a Diwali Festival.
I could easily argue the better educated part of it because I received a terrific education from a great public school district in Florida that could easily rival, if not surpass, anything in Georgia. Now you have us beat with great colleges right there in your town but remember most of the smart students from CFL high schools go to UF, or UM which are short distances from here. However this point is one I'm willing to split down the middle since Atlanta does have some fantastic opportunities for higher education.

Quote:
Shopping is another big thing.Especially high end shopping.
Guarantee we have everything you do for shopping, but then again high end shopping does very, very little for me, but it's nice to know it's there so this point is a drawl too IMO.

Quote:
We don't have beaches like in Florida in Atlanta but there is water sking and other activities you can do in the water.
Can you go hiking?No.In Florida hiking is called "going for a walk."
We have year round skiing, wakeboarding, stand up paddle, etc. Our lakes and rivers are literally right in the city and suburbs plus the ocean and intercoastal is less than 45 min from my front door. You do have snow and ice, I'll give you that.

Quote:
I can also go to museums and historical sites that tell of the biggest war in U.S. history.I like history.It contributes to culture
Florida has one of the richest histories in the entire nation. Last year our state turned 500 and a big push was made to help people discover that. I, and many others, already knew this and have enjoyed learning about our state's long story since the first European Explorers to hit the mainland US stepped foot in La Florida back in 2013. So I think being able to tour old Spanish forts, Seminole Indian Villages, or heck even the Kennedy Space Center which is chock full of important US History is comparable to your Civil War museum. Really it's no dig against your history in Atlanta, but you act as if Central Florida has none, to very little, and in reality our state has some of the most (and most fun to enjoy as well).

Quote:
Some of those may seem like they are not big deal but collectively it what makes the city of Atlanta a major city with greater mass appeal versus Orlando/Tampa regional medium sized cities that has only to rely on beaches and theme parks that make them both lack character and history.That's some thing you just can't manufacture.
Now this is where you go off the rails a bit. Our cities do not rely solely on the beach or theme parks, nor do we lack character and/or history. I've actually taken great care to prove otherwise and think that you've made (unintentionally of course) a huge mischaracterization of Orlando and Tampa. Yes, we lean heavily on our attractions and oceans, just as you guys do with the airport and media production. They're the things you guys excel in, just as we do in others. You're probably already thinking of your list of other things Atlanta is comprised of since I just mentioned the 2 biggest right? Well know that I did the exact same thing when you did that to us in your previous post.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 01-29-2014 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: tweaks

Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM

There is a more professional crowd in Atlanta in general among the people. It changes the vibe of the city. Also parts of the downtown give you a bigger city vibe in comparison. The food scene is also way better. I think Atlanta is a better jumping off point for travel also. My experience in Orlando and Tampa seems that people aren't particularly career driven or care about worldly things. While Atlanta isn't a NY or SF, it does have *some* of this if you look for it. I don't think that crowd exists in Orlando and Tampa. I like that you can get to the mountains or the beach for the weekend from Atlanta. However, the museums of Atlanta are underwhelming.

I personally don't care about the shopping in Atlanta, or the theme parks in Orlando, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City