Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:19 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
If you are comparing the beauty of the skyline, Chicago is far more lovely. (Of course, I'm biased.) I also think downtown Chicago is much nicer than Philly.
I disagree, as much as Chicago wants to be like NYC and be the center of the universe, it is not. I am not saying that Chicago is not a great city or not beautiful, but so is Philadelphia and if you look at the package as a whole Philadelphia is much more appealing. They are both beautiful cities and in the case of Philadelphia full of history.

The only thing Chicago leads the nation in is murders:
Chicago Beats New York, Los Angeles In Murders - cbs2chicago.com (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.homicide.rate.2.847736.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:50 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
How is it a no brainer? Chicago is a world-class city don't forget. You can hop in a plane and be in the East coast in 2 hours from Chicago. Not only that...from Chicago you can fly anywhere in the country and anywhere in the world...its the transportation hub of America. Besides Chicago has a major IT market. Don't forget that Chicago is more diverse
The OP said: "For a young male in IT who craves urban living and big city life without the expense of places like NYC or San Francisco."

Chicago is much closer to the expense of places like NYC or SF. Philly is a relatively cheap city. Philly is just a shade below being a "world class city", it's right after Chicago in size (regardless of whether you include the metro area or not), and its proximity to other big cities (including world class cities) would give a young guy starting out many more options for experiences.

As for travel, the only edge that Chicago has is that it's a couple hours closer to the West Coast. To be honest, I wouldn't consider travel to be a strong point for Chicago, because O'Hare is the busiest (or tied w/ Atlanta, at least) airport and is notorious for problems. Most of the air backups come from the central part of the nation. I've been a frequent flyer for nearly a decade and the most delays and cancellations I've experienced involve the middle of the nation, from the Great Lakes down to Texas. When I would fly to Florida, weekly, I rarely had delays. Flying to the West Coast is also more reliable. The winters make air travel a headache in Chicago.

I'm not trying to knock Chicago, it IS a world class city with much to offer, but travel isn't one of its strong points and neither is low expense. Philly is actually better for both of those - Newark airport is an option many Philly area residents use and is only 1.5 hours from Philly (if that), and EWR is a hub for Continental. From there, people can go anywhere in the nation and Europe, nonstop.

I think for the OP it's a no-brainer - Philly. Butter your bread with Philly instead.

Not to mention it's closer to the ocean.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Newark airport is an option many Philly area residents use and is only 1.5 hours from Philly (if that), and EWR is a hub for Continental. From there, people can go anywhere in the nation and Europe, nonstop.
I completely agree, also Philadelphia International Airport offers many non stop flights to Europe, Middle East, and many other parts of the US.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
LMAO. Every single post points out how philly is close to this and that. Chicago is a major city that stands on its own. And is more important than philly on the grand scale of things. Theres no competition whatsoever. First of all chitown is like 3times as big as philly. I like philly but to say its better than chicago is ridiculous

First, let me say that I LOVE Chicago. Great food, personality, nice downtown. It is a hell of city. Way better than Washington, DC where I currently live.

But...

I don't think I could ever live there. It's too remote for one. And yes, Chicago is a big city, but it's only a bit larger than Brooklyn. If I wanted to live in a really big city, I just feel like I'd go to NYC.

As a West Indian and a native Philadelphian, I prefer Philly because it's more culturally similar to Brooklyn and Queens. Chicago doesn't even have a West Indian carnival. When I was in college, none of the kids from Chicago had even heard of Machel Montano or Bounty Killer. When it comes to black diversity, Philly is far superior to Chicago.

I also feel that Philly is a bit more dynamic and cutting edge than the Chi, given our music scene and our fashion. I mean, Philly put the whole country onto fitted caps, timbs, and throwback jerseys. What influence has Chicago really had on modern day popular culture?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
First, let me say that I LOVE Chicago. Great food, personality, nice downtown. It is a hell of city. Way better than Washington, DC where I currently live.

But...

I don't think I could ever live there. It's too remote for one. And yes, Chicago is a big city, but it's only a bit larger than Brooklyn. If I wanted to live in a really big city, I just feel like I'd go to NYC.

As a West Indian and a native Philadelphian, I prefer Philly because it's more culturally similar to Brooklyn and Queens. Chicago doesn't even have a West Indian carnival. When I was in college, none of the kids from Chicago had even heard of Machel Montano or Bounty Killer. When it comes to black diversity, Philly is far superior to Chicago.

I also feel that Philly is a bit more dynamic and cutting edge than the Chi, given our music scene and our fashion. I mean, Philly put the whole country onto fitted caps, timbs, and throwback jerseys. What influence has Chicago really had on modern day popular culture?
What are you talking about Chicago being a bit larger than Brooklyn? Brooklyn is about 71sq miles Chicago is 227 and NYC as a whole is 305. Where did you get your numbers?

Your whole post is based off of what you want to be true and not what actually is.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
What are you talking about Chicago being a bit larger than Brooklyn? Brooklyn is about 71sq miles Chicago is 227 and NYC as a whole is 305. Where did you get your numbers?

Your whole post is based off of what you want to be true and not what actually is.
Brooklyn is 2.5 million people... in that 71 sq miles... compared to 2.8 mil in 227 square miles... outside of the loop brooklyn feels a good deal more urbane than Chicago...
so you still get the urban life, for cheaper than Manhattan prices...plus you are a quick commute into Manhattan (what most people think of when they think of NYC)
The point was he doesn't have to be far away from NYC to experience cheap(er) city life. the topic of the thread. It would be easier to live in Brooklyn/Queens/Philly than to move 1000 miles away to Chicago to experience city life.
now you get it?

Last edited by grapico; 10-12-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

But...

MAYNE, YO PRESIDENT IS BLACK (and from chicago) case closed

And i could've sworn nyc started the whole fitted hats & tims thing.

besides all the things you named are not that big no more except for fitteds.

-mas23-

Last edited by mas23; 10-12-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
For a young male in IT who craves urban living and big city life without the expense of places like NYC or San Francisco.

Thoughts?
Center city in Philadelphia is like a smaller version of Manhattan....very dense and compact; also a bit cheaper than the other choices!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
All this location talk...

I've never found it to be a problem. Flights in and out of ohare and midway are fairly cheap since there are hundreds of them every day.

I can jump on a train, be to O'hare in 25 minutes, and fly off to Denver, Minneapolis, Dallas, Toronto, Atlanta, New Orleans, New York, DC, etc. within 2 hours flying time. Seattle, San Fran and LA within 3-4 hours.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 PM

71 posts, read 189,832 times
I live in Chicago now. Grew up in Philadelphia - 18 years in Mt. Airy and West Oak Lane, and 5 years in the burbs for school. Chicagoans and Philadelphians both have a lot of pride for their city. Anytime I mention I'm from Philly to a Chicagoan or that I live in Chicago to a Philadelphian, the first question asked, never fails, is which city do I like better. The Answer is Chicago. There is just a lot more going on, so many things to do here, and it is due to Chicago's neighborhoods. In Chicago so many neighborhoods have great dining, shopping, and night life.

The center of Philly for dining, shopping, and night life is still Center City. It is really awesome to see other neighborhoods in Philly becoming vibrant. But I wanted it now, I couldn't wait for Philly to develop more.

Public transportation is way better, too. I did not have a car in Philly, but I certainly wanted one at time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City