Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,655,999 times

Advertisements

This thread went the way of most threads on here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:09 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,757,300 times
Chicago without a doubt. I have nothing against Detroit, but they are not comparable at all. At one time, Detroit was a fair powerhouse, but unfortunately it is/was a one trick pony with the economy. Chicago's economy is much more diversified and is growing again in some areas. There is a high unemployment rate in both cities, but in Chicago it's because there's a large population in some areas of under educated people and some who just refuse to work. I have friends with jobs who were paid with cash everyday for their jobs and still able to claim unemployment. Not legal, but there's many people who do this. For the record, Chicago MSA's per capita GDP is about $10,000 more per year than Detroit's.

Chicago's hispanic population is also probably larger than the entire population of Detroit. There's 500,000 to 600,000 Mexicans in the city alone and another 175,000 - 200,000 Puerto Ricans, not to count all the other types.

This shouldn't even be a question in your mind, honestly. Chicago easily has more opportunity right now in it and you'll have more community support on top of that.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:28 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,034,471 times
If talking about just city proper, then no comparison. Like another poster mentioned, Detroit is very similar to Chicagos south side, there still are differences but they are reasonably comparable. Downtown and Midtown Detroit are like what Chicagos core would have looked like, if the city just continuously emptied out after 1970, and instead of building even taller buildings, would torn down buildings and replaced them with parking lots.

However, the larger metropolitan areas actually look very similar in terms of housing stock/building styless, road/street layouts, demographics, accents, climate and landscape obviously.

Now all though it doesn't make up for it completely, when you compare CSAs (combined statistical areas) there are major assets and amenities that do help to make up for what Detroit proper lacks.

The first being of course: Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor has the most world class public university that attracts the widest range of people from everywhere. This in turn makes the town very cosmopolitan, vibrant, and unique. Madison and Champaign are similar, but the towns and universities are not on the same level. However, keep in mind, that although only 40 miles away, and connected by suburban sprawl, many if not most do not consider Ann Arbor to be part of metro Detroit.

There are also arguably some other suburbs in metro Detroit (clearly part of Metro Detroit) that are also more hoppin' than any Chicago suburb in terms of pedestrians and nightlife. (Royal Oak and Birmingham). Dearborn is also a unique "urban-suburb" with largest Arab community in the country and a major museum that is like the Smithsonian of the Midwest (Henry Ford/Greenfield Village). Access to experience our neighbors to the north is also right across the Detroit river.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 PM

For the OP, I doubt that the fact that the architectural styles of Chicago and Detroit in the metro area for low rise architecture pre 10 years ago really matter. What matters is the economy and probably community support for Puerto Ricans. Chicago wins on both of those for sure.

And yeah, while Michigan is a great university 40-45 miles from Detroit, both U of Chicago and Northwestern are rated even more highly than U of Michigan overall. But again, none of that matters to the OP in my opinion.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,126,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
If talking about just city proper, then no comparison. Like another poster mentioned, Detroit is very similar to Chicagos south side, there still are differences but they are reasonably comparable. Downtown and Midtown Detroit are like what Chicagos core would have looked like, if the city just continuously emptied out after 1970, and instead of building even taller buildings, would torn down buildings and replaced them with parking lots.

However, the larger metropolitan areas actually look very similar in terms of housing stock/building styless, road/street layouts, demographics, accents, climate and landscape obviously.

Now all though it doesn't make up for it completely, when you compare CSAs (combined statistical areas) there are major assets and amenities that do help to make up for what Detroit proper lacks.

The first being of course: Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor has the most world class public university that attracts the widest range of people from everywhere. This in turn makes the town very cosmopolitan, vibrant, and unique. Madison and Champaign are similar, but the towns and universities are not on the same level. However, keep in mind, that although only 40 miles away, and connected by suburban sprawl, many if not most do not consider Ann Arbor to be part of metro Detroit.

There are also arguably some other suburbs in metro Detroit (clearly part of Metro Detroit) that are also more hoppin' than any Chicago suburb in terms of pedestrians and nightlife. (Royal Oak and Birmingham). Dearborn is also a unique "urban-suburb" with largest Arab community in the country and a major museum that is like the Smithsonian of the Midwest (Henry Ford/Greenfield Village). Access to experience our neighbors to the north is also right across the Detroit river.
The white suburbs in Detroit have happening spots because they left the city proper en masse. Chicago has actual white areas in the city proper, if that is your thing.

The biggest difference for me is wealth. Chicago has wealthy parts that Detroit has no answer to. And the sheer size and scope of the suburban wealth in chicago blows away metro Detroit. Gross pointe area is nice, but population wise they are like one or two north shore burbs.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The white suburbs in Detroit have happening spots because they left the city proper en masse. Chicago has actual white areas in the city proper, if that is your thing.

The biggest difference for me is wealth. Chicago has wealthy parts that Detroit has no answer to. And the sheer size and scope of the suburban wealth in chicago blows away metro Detroit. Gross pointe area is nice, but population wise they are like one or two north shore burbs.
100% Agreed and correct on the first part.

Gross Pointe is a small enclave compared to Oakland County where most of the white collared jobs and wealth are.

Oakland County is about 1.2 million and comparable to DuPage and Lake County, income-wise.

If you are going to compare Chicagolands north shore, than its better to compare to Bloomfield/Birmingham/West Bloomfield, etc. and not just Gross Pointe.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
For the OP, I doubt that the fact that the architectural styles of Chicago and Detroit in the metro area for low rise architecture pre 10 years ago really matter. What matters is the economy and probably community support for Puerto Ricans. Chicago wins on both of those for sure.

And yeah, while Michigan is a great university 40-45 miles from Detroit, both U of Chicago and Northwestern are rated even more highly than U of Michigan overall. But again, none of that matters to the OP in my opinion.
What do we know about the OP? The large Puerto Rican community in Chicago would be more necessary for someone who has little education and job skills. And I don't want to insult the OP assuming he would need that community just because he's Puerto Rican. Unless I missed it, he/she might very well have an education/job skills, etc. and can fit in with any type of person.

On your second point, yes this is true. But Northwestern and U of Chicago are much smaller and more exclusive. Unless you have a 5.0 and 30 on your ACT or independently wealthy, one really doesn't have a good chance at getting in those two.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
What do we know about the OP? The large Puerto Rican community in Chicago would be more necessary for someone who has little education and job skills. And I don't want to insult the OP assuming he would need that community just because he's Puerto Rican. Unless I missed it, he/she might very well have an education/job skills, etc. and can fit in with any type of person.

On your second point, yes this is true. But Northwestern and U of Chicago are much smaller and more exclusive. Unless you have a 5.0 and 30 on your ACT or independently wealthy, one really doesn't have a good chance at getting in those two.
This is what we know about the OP

Quote:
I'm from Puerto Rico and soon I'm moving to the U.S. but I'm deciding between Detroit and Chicago. Where do you recommend? Where I'll find employment faster? Factories, hotels, restaurants etc... Where do you live better economically??
The obvious answer is Chicago.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is what we know about the OP

The obvious answer is Chicago.
Fair enough. Especially the part about finding gainful employment faster.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,126,637 times
Quote:
100% Agreed and correct on the first part.

Gross Pointe is a small enclave compared to Oakland County where most of the white collared jobs and wealth are.

Oakland County is about 1.2 million and comparable to DuPage and Lake County, income-wise.

If you are going to compare Chicagolands north shore, than its better to compare to Bloomfield/Birmingham/West Bloomfield, etc. and not just Gross Pointe.
Dupage and lake combined is a much larger population than oakland county.

Even if you include bloomfield and all that, chicago still has the barrington area, hinsdale, inverness, glenview, deefield, lincolnshire, northbrook, vernon hills, etc. Chicago suburbs simply have way more 200k + households.

I'm not saying metro Detroit does not have affluent areas. But on a whole, it is noticably more blue collar than chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City