U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Most ethnic diverse region
West 28 44.44%
South 15 23.81%
Northeast 18 28.57%
Midwest 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM

46 posts, read 14,757 times

Advertisements

I study demographics in my spare time, and its interesting how each region of the US has their own take on ethnic diversity. Traditionally, the US South has been divided between Black and White, but nowadays in the urban areas, it has begun to resemble the average US metro.

The Northeast is the traditional gateway for European groups and is continuing to get European groups, but immigration from Latin America and Asia have changed it.

The West is interesting because it still has a decent population of disperse Native Americans, but the newer immigration from Latin America and Asia has arguably made this region stand out in comparison to the other three given that it may possibly be the first major American region that is majority non-white.

The Midwest has traditionally been split between the Germans, Swedish, Norweigans, and other Northern European groups, while the cities had an Irish/Italian/Polish tinge. However, the great migration brought many Blacks here and Chicago nowadays is close to being plurality Hispanic.

Which region is overall the most ethnic diverse? Which region has the most diverse cultural milleu?

I voted for the South here. Unlike the other regions, I feel that it had a distinct advantage of being bicultural to begin with (White and Black), and areas like Louisiana received European immigrants (Italian, etc.) on top of the Cajun population and Creole Blacks. Texas was heavily settled by European groups such as the Germans and Czech, and Florida had plenty of Spanish settlers living in it. This is on top of the Anglo-American (Mostly English and Scots Irish) mix. Nowadays, Texas is heavily Mexican and Central American, spreading throughout the rest of the South. Florida, as we all know has had an increasing number of people from the Caribbean, South America and Central America not only living in the Miami area but throughout the state. Asians are lagging, but compared to the Midwest, the South has plenty of Asian groups living in the major metro areas. Atlanta has a huge Korean population, Vietnamese live all along the Gulf Coast, and South Asians live everywhere.

Last edited by Grand Piano Ball; 02-09-2014 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM

Thought I'd check up on this thread.

According to the Census, here's how the regions match up on their version of "racial diversity" I don't know how to get to more detailed ethnic identities though so everything I say after is going to be a guess

Northeast:
67.7% White
13.2% Hispanic
11.0% Black
5.8% Asian
0.2% Native American
0.0% Pacific Islander
1.7% Two or More Races

Midwest
77.2% White
10.2% Black
7.2% Hispanic
2.7% Asian
0.5% Native American
0.0% Pacific Islander
1.9% Two or more Races

South:
59.1% White
18.9% Black
16.4% Hispanic
2.9% Asian
0.5% Native American
0.1% Pacific Islander
1.9% Two or More Races

West:
51.9% White
4.5% Black
29.1% Hispanic
9.4% Asian
1.3% Native American
0.5% Pacific Islander
3.0% Two or More Races

The West seems to have garnered the most votes here, though arguably it seems to be extremely bicultural (Hispanic and Anglo White) moreso than the other regions of the US. California is probably one of the most ethnically diverse states in the US, but unlike the other regions, most of the diversity seems to be concentrated there unlike in the South or Northeast where it is more evenly spread.
Not too sure how many ethnic Whites or recent Black immigrants live out there, and the Asian population, while large, doesn't really form that much of a cohesive cultural force that would be noticeable to the average person to the West.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM

11,120 posts, read 7,413,897 times
I made a model for something like this awhile ago. Basically the average percent difference away from the even point for each racial group. In this case, that even point is 100 divided by 7 times evenly, or 14.286%

So based on that, if you take in account all 7 groups, it goes like this, and these numbers are the average percentage away from 14.286% for each group:
1. South | 14.76%
2. West | 15.02%
3. Northeast | 15.32%
4. Midwest | 18.02%

If you only take the major groups divided evenly, which would be 25% for each group, then here are the rankings:
1. West | 16.78%
2. South | 17.73%
3. Northeast | 21.93%
4. Midwest | 26.78%

However, I think these general groups only show you a little bit. Just because you have 100 Hispanic people, for example, doesn't mean that they are all of the same culture. I think when you factor that in, the West and NE wins.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I made a model for something like this awhile ago. Basically the average percent difference away from the even point for each racial group. In this case, that even point is 100 divided by 7 times evenly, or 14.286%

So based on that, if you take in account all 7 groups, it goes like this, and these numbers are the average percentage away from 14.286% for each group:
1. South | 14.76%
2. West | 15.02%
3. Northeast | 15.32%
4. Midwest | 18.02%

If you only take the major groups divided evenly, which would be 25% for each group, then here are the rankings:
1. West | 16.78%
2. South | 17.73%
3. Northeast | 21.93%
4. Midwest | 26.78%
Very nice model! However, as you rightfully state below:

Quote:
However, I think these general groups only show you a little bit. Just because you have 100 Hispanic people, for example, doesn't mean that they are all of the same culture. I think when you factor that in, the West and NE wins.
I think looking it that way, the Northeast would win to be honest. I think the South has the most stark cultural cleavages, if that makes sense. Black, Hispanic, and White Americans each make up more or less a huge differing cultural block. The South's Hispanic population, unlike the West, is not nearly as Mexican dominated. Though the Northeast most likely has the most diverse Hispanic population, the South has every major group represented (thank you Florida). The South, while not having as many ethnic Europeans as the Northeast, still has plenty present.

Does anyone have numbers on ethnicity? I'd love to see it.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 PM

11,120 posts, read 7,413,897 times
^ Yeah I agree. NYC mainly wins because of it IMO. I think the Census has numbers on ethnicity but I remember getting to it is sometimes a *****.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Yeah I agree. NYC mainly wins because of it IMO. I think the Census has numbers on ethnicity but I remember getting to it is sometimes a *****.
I personally think the West loses out because
1) Diversity really is only in California. Some of the most non-diverse states are out West (and Northeast) while in the South, nearly all states have at least a 10% minority population
2) It doesn't really have a growing black population
3) It doesn't have that many people coming over from Europe

The one thing the West has over the other regions is an Asian population, but nowadays it really isn't all that unique as all areas have a growing Asian population. In addition, I don't think Asians out West have as much influence on the region as other large groups in the other regions simply because its such a fractured group.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:09 PM

1,177 posts, read 683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Piano Ball View Post
I personally think the West loses out because
1) Diversity really is only in California. Some of the most non-diverse states are out West (and Northeast) while in the South, nearly all states have at least a 10% minority population
2) It doesn't really have a growing black population
3) It doesn't have that many people coming over from Europe

The one thing the West has over the other regions is an Asian population, but nowadays it really isn't all that unique as all areas have a growing Asian population. In addition, I don't think Asians out West have as much influence on the region as other large groups in the other regions simply because its such a fractured group.
I don't think this is true. There is quite a bit of Asian influence out West. Especially in California and Washington.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
I don't think this is true. There is quite a bit of Asian influence out West. Especially in California and Washington.
As a whole, sure. But how much commonalities and "common cultural experience" does each Asian group have with each other?

To take an extreme example, I don't think Asian Indians and Japanese Americans have the same experiences in America to bind them together. Or Vietnamese and Filipinos. That's just my impression anyways.

Not saying this effects overall ethnic diversity because it doesn't, but it's just an observation.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:46 PM

1,177 posts, read 683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Piano Ball View Post
As a whole, sure. But how much commonalities and "common cultural experience" does each Asian group have with each other?

To take an extreme example, I don't think Asian Indians and Japanese Americans have the same experiences in America to bind them together. Or Vietnamese and Filipinos. That's just my impression anyways.

Not saying this effects overall ethnic diversity because it doesn't, but it's just an observation.

They certainly each have influence on an area, as a group, on a macro level. On a micro level, there is much greater influence from each individual group.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM

32 posts, read 15,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
They certainly each have influence on an area, as a group, on a macro level. On a micro level, there is much greater influence from each individual group.
Diversity should be concentrated. Immigrants are welcome to US from any country but we need to push for more immigrants from certain countries more. Most valuable countries for immigration are China, Japan, Germany, UK, France, Brazil, Russia, Italy, India, Canada, Australia, Spain, Mexico, Israel, South Korea, Indonesia, Turkey, Austria, Phillippines, Netherlands, Thailand, Argentina, etc. The US has history and business relations with these most powerful countries. Caribbean island countries don't add business or entrepreneurship relations IMO. Lightweights

50% of Chinese HNWI's in China want to move overseas. The US would miss out by not trying to attract them and their cash flow IMO.

Last edited by Vermont66; 02-11-2014 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City