Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Richmond 55 50.00%
Portland 55 50.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:20 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The most ridiculous? Hardly. But how does one measure the "cosmopolitan" nature of a city? Wouldn't foreign born residents, or a foreign presence be a fair measure?

Proximity to any other city is totally irrelevant.
I will admit I'm surprised by the foreign-born stat - perhaps Portland does have more of an international presence. Although, neither seem too strong in that arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I will admit I'm surprised by the foreign-born stat - perhaps Portland does have more of an international presence. Although, neither seem too strong in that arena.
East Portland is full of immigrants. Though that's not part of "tourist Portland".

Old 02-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
East Portland is full of immigrants. Though that's not part of "tourist Portland".
I've spent time in the Hawthorne/Belmont/Division area, as well as the Hollywood District and Alberta. Although I'm guessing by East Portland you mean further East?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I've spent time in the Hawthorne/Belmont/Division area, as well as the Hollywood District and Alberta. Although I'm guessing by East Portland you mean further East?
Yeah, towards 82nd and further east in the "uncool" part of town. Much of 82nd itself is the Asian shopping and restaurant district for the city(mostly Chinese and Vietnamese). The only sort of "ethnic" area I can think of in inner Portland is the old black neighborhoods around MLK in NE and the little Ethopian/Eritrean stores/restaurants in that area. But inner east Portland(west of 50th or so and south of Killingsworth) is where the popular areas and stereotypes of Portland reside.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, towards 82nd and further east in the "uncool" part of town. Much of 82nd itself is the Asian shopping and restaurant district for the city(mostly Chinese and Vietnamese). The only sort of "ethnic" area I can think of in inner Portland is the old black neighborhoods around MLK in NE and the little Ethopian/Eritrean stores/restaurants in that area. But inner east Portland(west of 50th or so and south of Killingsworth) is where the popular areas and stereotypes of Portland reside.
Are there any walkable nodes or interesting corridors towards 82nd ave and East, or is it mostly just auto-oriented sprawly urban form?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Are there any walkable nodes or interesting corridors towards 82nd ave and East, or is it mostly just auto-oriented sprawly urban form?
There's little pockets of places where the old street-car lines were(since much of the area up to 82nd was street car suburbs), but once you get past 205 or 92nd, it's very much suburban sprawl. Stark Street around Montavilla just over 82nd on the other side of Mt. Tabor is a cool little neighborhood with an old movie theatre and restaurants and bars. Lents has a kind of little downtown, but it's completely dead despite the city pumping money in there(could be interesting if people opened up anything interesting there). NE Glisan past like 70th has a suprising collection of halal markets and East African businesses and NE Sandy around Roseway going back west has older storefronts and a mix of old businesses and newer Vietnamese places. It's kind of the frontier though, except for Montavilla none of those areas are really in danger of gentrfying yet could use some new investment. A lot of it reminds me of parts of South Seattle.

The Asian part of 82nd is cool, but it's mostly Asian strip malls and groceries, while 122nd is some pretty ugly suburbia(with some good Mexican places). There's a reason though that it's fairly cheap out there and where foreign immigrants can open family businesses or buy a home there.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
There's little pockets of places where the old street-car lines were(since much of the area up to 82nd was street car suburbs), but once you get past 205 or 92nd, it's very much suburban sprawl. Stark Street around Montavilla just over 82nd on the other side of Mt. Tabor is a cool little neighborhood with an old movie theatre and restaurants and bars. Lents has a kind of little downtown, but it's completely dead despite the city pumping money in there(could be interesting if people opened up anything interesting there). NE Glisan past like 70th has a suprising collection of halal markets and East African businesses and NE Sandy around Roseway going back west has older storefronts and a mix of old businesses and newer Vietnamese places. It's kind of the frontier though, except for Montavilla none of those areas are really in danger of gentrfying yet could use some new investment. A lot of it reminds me of parts of South Seattle.

The Asian part of 82nd is cool, but it's mostly Asian strip malls and groceries, while 122nd is some pretty ugly suburbia(with some good Mexican places). There's a reason though that it's fairly cheap out there and where foreign immigrants can open family businesses or buy a home there.
Interesting - thanks for the detailed description. That's a part of Portland I don't know well at all, but next time I'm in town I'll have to check out some of those areas that you mention. I've noticed in a lot of non East-Coast cities a lot of the ethnic enclaves, aside from Chinatowns, are in the sprawlier parts of town (with SF and portions of LA being the notable exceptions). As you mentioned, it's probably due to lower costs and walkable areas being at a premium.

As an aside, last year we checked out St. Johns and I was pleasantly surprised to find a very cool, walkable neighborhood with a ton of character and a lot of cool bars (including some very divey but fun spots). It's interesting because I'd been going to Portland for years and had only recently even heard that St. Johns existed. It definitely seems like a city with a lot of "hidden gem" areas.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times
Is Richmond's economy better or worse than Portland's?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Is Richmond's economy better or worse than Portland's?
Probably better. Fewer people want to live there--it's not a destination city like Portland, so it has a less saturated job market overall.

Portland is kinda like Tucson or Albuquerque in that regard--everyone wants to live there for lifestyle reasons, but there really aren't enough jobs to go around. Lots of people in those cities end up underemployed, especially educated professionals with years of experience, or just plain unemployed (mostly recent college grads with no experience).

Old 02-15-2014, 01:04 AM

646 posts, read 926,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Probably better. Fewer people want to live there--it's not a destination city like Portland, so it has a less saturated job market overall.

Portland is kinda like Tucson or Albuquerque in that regard--everyone wants to live there for lifestyle reasons, but there really aren't enough jobs to go around. Lots of people in those cities end up underemployed, especially educated professionals with years of experience, or just plain unemployed (mostly recent college grads with no experience).
Exactly. Many people move to Portland without a job waiting. Many people who lose a good job cant find another one. Portland economy was never that strong to begin with, but seems like this recent migration makes it even worse because of oversaturation. Richmond is pretty well off from what I see on paper. There are jobs, big companies and COL is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City