Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Richmond 55 50.00%
Portland 55 50.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
Richmond is pretty well off from what I see on paper. There are jobs, big companies and COL is low.
So why is unemployment higher in Richmond and median household and family income higher in Portland? I don't know anything about Richmond, is it really that well off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:36 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So why is unemployment higher in Richmond and median household and family income higher in Portland? I don't know anything about Richmond, is it really that well off?
Richmond has a lot more black people than Portland, who are statistically more likely to be unemployed, on welfare, living in subsidized housing, and so forth.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:55 PM

646 posts, read 926,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well, Im not sure if you only looked at city propers, but MSA wise Portland is at 6.2%, Richmond at 5.2%. MSA is a more accurate measure, since it shows the overall situation of the region. Richmond's land area is also much smaller than Portland's so city propers are not good to compare by themselves, esp in this case.
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 PM

it appears Richmond has a slightly higher median income, along with lower COL than Portland Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 PM

489 posts, read 910,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Richmond has a lot more black people than Portland, who are statistically more likely to be unemployed, on welfare, living in subsidized housing, and so forth.
Lol, I got called a racist for making the same statement when comparing reasons for Fort Worth vs Charlotte's unemployment rates a few months ago.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Lol, I got called a racist for making the same statement when comparing reasons for Fort Worth vs Charlotte's unemployment rates a few months ago.
It is what it is. That said, I bet Portland has a higher % of people not counted who are underemployed, stopped looking or "retired at 30".

Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
Portland only because I have family there. I hate the gloomy cold weather though.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Except you weren't called a racist.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 AM

30 posts, read 34,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Actually Richmond's unemployment rate is on the decline and the demographics are the same as before. Blacks work hard too

Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 AM

30 posts, read 34,585 times
And why is Richmond being compared to Portland? These two cities are nothing alike in every aspect I can think of other than the fact they are both river cities and the emerging Hipsters (I never been to Portland and even I know it has way more hipsters than Richmond does). Richmond is mid-atlantic in every way and Portland is Pacific Northwest in every way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City