Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the more urban streetscape?
LA 81 61.83%
Oakland 50 38.17%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Your not taking into consideration other parts of LA that are very dense that most visiters never see.

All of North East LA, The Harbor Area (San Pedro,Wilmington), East LA (Boyle & Lincoln Heights), The dense sections of the Valley (Warner Center, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks).

LA is way denser the people give credit for cause most people don't see all of LA (Especially North East & East LA).
I am taking them into account, I've seen them with my own eyes. And again, they're very comparable to many parts of Oakland. You don't have to take my word for it though, you can see that yourself:

Boyle Heights (East LA)

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0487...xA!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0433...wKleZOGdsQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0486...BM1PqFQZxw!2e0

Laurel (East Oakland)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7916...oTsxqgkMTw!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7956...xMp6IOAzcA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7922...S3LMdWlWeg!2e0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
I can agree to this, but to say Oakland is slightly more urban is absurd to me because like I've said before Oakland reminds me more of northeast LA and Hollywood, when you throw in Central LA in the mix, its not even close.
You misread what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In some respects Oakland is more urban (namely functionality of transit, more pedestrian-friendly, etc.)...
More pedestrian friendly is arguable but if you've ever been reliant on public transit in both cities you know the bolded is true (and again mainly due to Oakland being a much smaller city). However, Los Angeles is rapidly revamping their public transit so that may not be the case soon... BART is unlikely to expand its coverage in Oakland but AC Transit and the city are in the process of getting rapid bus lanes on the biggest thoroughfares (International and San Pablo) which would definitely be a positive.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
These cities are actually more similar than they are different, in terms of urban street scape.

But I voted oakland because brocal, I mean so cal is played out.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:29 PM

437 posts, read 628,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
These cities are actually more similar than they are different, in terms of urban street scape.

And here ladies and gentlemen is the infamous Bay Area inferiority complex that is so prevalent in NorCal.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:35 PM

40 posts, read 169,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post

SoCal is played out..that's why LA is flooded with people from SF bay

LA people honestly have very little reason to go up there. That's how much you mean to us

Old 02-15-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
And here ladies and gentlemen is the infamous Bay Area inferiority complex that is so prevalent in NorCal.
He's not from the Bay Area or Northern California so save that.

And more to the point, there's nothing to feel inferior about. If anything, our forum gets flooded by people from SoCal talking **** about Oakland - a city 9/10 they've never been to - all the time.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:48 PM

437 posts, read 628,529 times
Quote:
He's not from the Bay Area or Northern California so save that.

And more to the point, there's nothing to feel inferior about. If anything, our forum gets flooded by people from SoCal talking **** about Oakland - a city 9/10 they've never been to - all the time.
You and I both know there's a one way hatred in CA, and its always from North to South. For the most part if brought up, people in LA do not have anything negative to say about SF or NorCal in general, same with New York.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 22,078 times
LA posters have inferiority complexes to the SFBA. SFBA posters don't care about LA. It's the other way around.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
You misread what I said.

More pedestrian friendly is arguable but if you've ever been reliant on public transit in both cities you know the bolded is true (and again mainly due to Oakland being a much smaller city). However, Los Angeles is rapidly revamping their public transit so that may not be the case soon... BART is unlikely to expand its coverage in Oakland but AC Transit and the city are in the process of getting rapid bus lanes on the biggest thoroughfares (International and San Pablo) which would definitely be a positive.
LA is light years ahead of the whole Bay Area let alone Oakland when it comes to Bus Rapid Transit.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
LA is light years ahead of the whole Bay Area let alone Oakland when it comes to Bus Rapid Transit.
You can say that, but it's not particularly functional when it takes over an hour and a half to get from the middle of Central LA to the middle of South LA on the bus and especially when its the only option for a huge number of people in both areas other than a car. That's not acceptable for a city as big as LA period; LA city hall thankfully seems to have gotten that memo and is working on expanding the metro system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City