Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2014, 01:46 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,554,574 times

Advertisements

Hmmmmmm they sound southern. That's weird.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,338,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
False. You're talking about things not even built yet in DC. You always talk in some hypothetical future about DC. Center City has no Downtown highend shopping? Oh? So Madewell, Intermix, Theory, Vince, Stuart Weitzman, BCBG, Ralph Lauren, etc. Not high end? Oh... I had no idea.

Center City is improving just as fast if not faster than Downtown DC is the shopping spectrum. You just can't admit it. Center City has seen at least 20-25 mid-ranged to high-end chain retailers open in the past year alone.

Lets play it like this...

Center City shopping is greater than Downtown DC Shopping.
King of Prussia shopping is greater than Georgetown shopping.

So Philadelphia has better shopping than DC. See what I did there?
None of those stores you listed are high-end. Well I guess they're two types of high-end. You have your
Micheal kors high end then you have your Hermes

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM

13,700 posts, read 15,625,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
None of those stores you listed are high-end. Well I guess they're two types of high-end. You have your
Micheal kors high end then you have your Hermes

I guess highend is relative to how much money you have. I have never heard anyone call those stores highend. I mean, BCBG being mentioned with Christian Dior? Are you kidding me.....

Old 11-12-2014, 01:56 PM

857 posts, read 1,358,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't have time to catch you up on this so please refer to this thread so you can get any info you need about what is happening at City Center D.C. I informed people about this months ago, obviously people thought I didn't know what I was talking about. Anyway, read up on everything here. I have known this stuff for close to a year now. I don't give all details on what is going on but I have given some names.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...opping-20.html
You implied that if one was "In downtown DC, and wanted to buy high end shopping they could".. Then you preceded to list specific stores that one could go to..which I guess is a lie? "Coming soon" (for the two that I could actually find on the website) doesn't really help me if I were to go down to DC this weekend for "high end" shopping. Right?

To that point, in Center City, they now have the only Century 21 outside NYC..and they also recently opened up Uniqlo (another store that's in high demand) I'm sure there are more that I'm not privy to, but those two in particular stood out to me as a New Yorker who goes over to Philly often.

I'll keep my eye on DC as well, but I'm sorry the shopping in Center City is more than likely superior to Downtown DC, at least in the "now".

Old 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,629,246 times
Quote:
As a metro area DC out performs Philadelphia in affluence and education. Bethesda which is in the DC metro area is the most educated city and DC has more wealthier suburbs. So your statement is very very very wrong and false in every way possible.
DC is more educated, but you can attain a better education in the Philadelphia area. From elementary all the way to College. Philadelphia is better in every aspect.

DC area is known for being highly transient, as in people more there than leave after a few years. Most people who live there aren't from there. Therefore they are mostly getting their educations elsewhere.

Best School Systems
1. New Jersey
7. Virginia
10. Pennsylvania
14. Maryland

All good. But on average, you are going to get a better education in the Philadelphia area.
2014′s States with the Best and Worst School Systems | WalletHub®

Best Universities
8. University of Pennsylvania - Philly
21. Georgetown University - DC
54. George Washington University - DC
62. University of Maryland - DC
71. American University - DC
76. University of Delaware - Philly
95. Drexel University - Philly

Good showing for DC here, although several universities like Temple, Drexel and Villanova get shafted by US News & World Report. Plus, DC just has no answer for UPenn. And when we get into Liberal Arts schools, Philly sails past DC.
National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges | page 9

Wealth
DC is slightly more wealthy, but on the whole they are pretty even in this regard. It's 110,000 millionaires in Philadelphia VS.166,000 millionaires in DC. Not much of a difference, especially when most wealth in DC is manufactured by the US government, and most wealth in Philadelphia is home grown from businesses and corporations.

10 US Cities With The Most Millionaires - Business Insider

Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM

857 posts, read 1,358,960 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter if Louis Vuitton and Salvatore Ferragamo are coming soon, like I said this a new development. So the place is still being built, it's unfinished at the moment. The only one that he listed that is in CityCenter as of now is the Hermes store but I don't know why you are asking me haha why don't you ask him. Although his statement is not false because those are all high end stores also like I said before the place is not finished being built.... As you can see from the website. Its just the shopping is limited for right now because AGAIN it's not even close to finish. So no he's not wrong, your assumption is wrong.

So you can't judge a place that's going under construction and all the stores haven't been revealed yet.
Well,you quoted me sir/madam..I was responding to you...apologies for your confusion?

You're right, you cant judge a place that doesn't really exist yet. So why is apart of a conversation/comparison?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,554,574 times
Tyson's Corner and Georgetown are DC's premier shopping spots, downtown will never be. Both cities are tied.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
If you haven't been to D.C. in a while, you may want to plan some visits. Things are changing all the time here.
If you haven't been to Philadelphia in a while, you may want to plan some visits. Things are changing all the time here.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
You do realize when I talk about Tysons that I'm also talking about Tysons Galleria? Right? So you can cross off 90% of the stores you listed.

Tysons is not anywhere near the level of KOP? that's false. KOP is better with a slight edge. You act as if were comparing apples to oranges.
Also some of the stores you listed the regular Tysons has..... Giving false date eh!
Ahhh. So changing things up now that I owned you? You really like the number 90% don't you?

AGAIN

King of Prussia
2,793,200 sq feet of retail
400+ stores
Currently undergoing 140,000 sq foot expansion
Anchor stores: Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Neiman Marcus, Sears, JCPenney

Tyson's Corner
2,200,000 sq feet of retail
300 stores
Anchor stores: Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Barnes and Noble

Cherry Hill Mall
160 stores
Anchor stores: Macy's, Nordstrom, JCPenney

Tyson's Galleria
800,000 sq feet (bahahahahaha - so tiny)
120+ stores
Anchor stores: Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue

Tyson's Galleria has about the same selection of stores as King of Prussia, except KOP packs everything Tyson's Corner Center and Galleria do under one roof. Then Philly has Cherry Hill mall, which is smalls than Tyson's Corner Center but has shopping options equal to Tyson's Corner.

So again, my statement was DC has no equal to King of Prussia. And it's true. KOP is bigger and offers anything any DC mall does.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 PM

13,700 posts, read 15,625,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
If you haven't been to Philadelphia in a while, you may want to plan some visits. Things are changing all the time here.

I don't have any problem with Philly, it just doesn't have highend shopping. D.C. didn't either outside of Tyson's Galleria and Chevy Chase. Now, that has changed. The market is shifting to downtown DC and many of the same stores across the region will be closing. There is a seismic shift taking place in the D.C. region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City