Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,342,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
The Mid-Atlantic's Most Expensive Urban Condos

Washington DC area
Parc Somerset
Friendship Heights, MD
Highest price for unit: $8.65 million

Philadelphia area
1706 Rittenhouse
Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia
Highest price or unit: $12.459 million

Urban Mid-Atlantic: The Mid-Atlantic's Most Expensive Urban Condos
DC area is still way wealthier than Phillys metro area. The gap is quite spacious. Resins why the DC area gets compared to the Bay Area and Phillys metro does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 03:28 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,649,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
The number one school in the country.... Thomas Jefferson High school science and technology. Ranked #1 in the nation for the past couple of years. Also fairfax county has the highest SAT scores as a whole county in the whole country. The stats you showed ranked Virginia above Pennsylvania. And when they mean Virginia, they're talking about Northerm Virginia. Remember earlier how I said DC public schools were complete crap well yes they are and Philadelphia is better in my opinion. But when you factor in the whole metro area, because you stated Philadelphia's metro area is better than DC's metro area. DC metro area beats Philadelphia's metro area k-12.
I think you're the one misreading my posts. I said on average schools in the Philadelphia area are better. As proved by the link I posted. I'm not talking about the top 10 schools in the nation that only the top 1% can afford to send their kids to. I'm talking about public schools, that any average family can move to the area and send their kids to. In that aspect, Philadelphia area school systems are better.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
DC area is still way wealthier than Phillys metro area. The gap is quite spacious. Resins why the DC area gets compared to the Bay Area and Phillys metro does not.
The gap isn't as big as some would like to believe though... which is my point. Philadelphia isn't far behind... and a lot of that wealth is manufactured government wealth. In Philadelphia it's all corporations and businesses.

Take away the government from DC and what do you have? Virtually nothing.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Tysons is one mall. It says it on the website.... Do you not see the Tysons in both galleria and corner?! or was it just a coincidence that they have the same name. Lol it's one mall, you're not getting it.

But it's obvious your opinion is biased. I have no problem saying they're equal instead of saying KOP can't match Tysons which is false.
Separated by a ****ing highway. Yeah one mall though right?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ty...f6262ba3525df2

Old 11-12-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I think you're the one misreading my posts. I said on average schools in the Philadelphia area are better. As proved by the link I posted. I'm not talking about the top 10 schools in the nation that only the top 1% can afford to send their kids to. I'm talking about public schools, that any average family can move to the area and send their kids to. In that aspect, Philadelphia area school systems are better.
The list you showed shows that DC area schools on an average are better. Also TJ is free, you always put words into my mouth. What's up with that? TJ is a public school, and it's FREE again. The 1% can't even get there kids into that school. See, this is what you do.... You make assumptions and then you're wrong. Like you assumed TJ is some rich kid school when that's not the case.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No offense to you, but in RE, you have to look at price per foot if you're making a $$$$ comparison.
Then why didn't you do the math? The Parc Somerset Condo sold for $8.65 million. At 6,737 square feet, that's $1,283 per square foot.

The 1706 Rittenhouse Condo sold for $12.5 million. At 8,444 square feet, that's $1,480 per square foot... which is higher.

Parc Somerset condo sets new record for most expensive sale - Washington Business Journal
A $12 MILLION VIEW The most expensive residence in the city is a penthouse near Rittenhouse Square. - Philly.com

My point in posting that was because you were saying there was so much wealth moving into Downtown DC to support this upscale shopping but there wasn't enough in Center City to support high end shopping....

Yet the highest condo sale in the DC area is in Friendship Heights, MD... not Downtown DC.

And the highest condo sale in the Philadelphia area is in Center City, Philadelphia.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The gap isn't as big as some would like to believe though... which is my point. Philadelphia isn't far behind... and a lot of that wealth is manufactured government wealth. In Philadelphia it's all corporations and businesses.

Tysons has the second biggest tech office space behind San Jose. Places like Potomac, Maryland come from old money. The DC area has a galore of Fortune 500 companies. Also without the government DC is also based on tourism duh and lastly this is not a matter of "what if". Sorry, also that's like saying what "if" you take the financial businesses like Wall Street out of NYC would it be as wealthy as it is? Like I said "if this and if that" doesn't help your argument.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:41 PM

13,715 posts, read 15,667,821 times
Quote:

News flash, the government isn't going anywhere. Take away oil, Texas wouldn't be a giant. Well, Texas has oil and D.C. has the government so both will always be rich.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
The list you showed shows that DC area schools on an average are better. Also TJ is free, you always put words into my mouth. What's up with that? TJ is a public school, and it's FREE again. The 1% can't even get there kids into that school. See, this is what you do.... You make assumptions and then you're wrong. Like you assumed TJ is some rich kid school when that's not the case.

Again...

1. New Jersey
7. Virginia
10. Pennsylvania
14. Maryland

Sooooo how does that show that DC area has better schools? That looks to me like Philadelphia area has better schools

2014′s States with the Best and Worst School Systems | WalletHub®

Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Again...

1. New Jersey
7. Virginia
10. Pennsylvania
14. Maryland

Sooooo how does that show that DC area has better schools? That looks to me like Philadelphia area has better schools

2014′s States with the Best and Worst School Systems | WalletHub®
Again avoiding that I proved you wrong

So where did you come up with the assumption that TJ was for the 1%? Wrong wrong wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City