Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for Asians
New York City (and its metro area) 33 57.89%
Hawaii 24 42.11%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

I commuted to SF and was there frequently on weekends also. But to your point and which is quite laughable, yes Sonoma County is one of the least diverse places, probably like 99% white in parts, and the other would be hispanic, anything else can probably forget about it. You could go weeks without seeing a black person for example.

I'm talking about the flagship store, to be clear. There is definitely not one in Chicago, and the asian presence is pretty weak there compared to SF or NYC. It's inside a Mitsuwa in the burbs. So is the one in San Jose. The one in SF is in Japantown. My point was there is a very large one in NYC and it's in a prime (non asian) area.

Like I said, I'm not doubting Hawaii could be better. I just get the vibe (not from you) but from others that they are somehow just confined and not really living their lives in NYC.

I guess the best anecdotal evidence we can get is for an Asian who has lived in both NYC and Hawaii...

Last edited by grapico; 02-20-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I commuted to SF and was there frequently on weekends also. But to your point and which is quite laughable, yes Sonoma County is one of the least diverse places, probably like 99% white in parts, and the other would be hispanic, anything else can probably forget about it. You could go weeks without seeing a black person for example.

I'm talking about the flagship store, to be clear. There is definitely not one in Chicago, and the asian presence is pretty weak there compared to SF or NYC. It's inside a Mitsuwa in the burbs. So is the one in San Jose. The one in SF is in Japantown. My point was there is a very large one in NYC and it's in a prime (non asian) area.

Like I said, I'm not doubting Hawaii could be better. I just get the vibe (not from you) but from others that they are somehow just confined and not really living their lives in NYC.
Well that area is probably the least diverse part of the Bay Area. Go one county over to Solano County and it's pretty much the opposite. But I would guess some of the counties on the fringes of the NYC metro are pretty white too no?

Well the ironic thing is that it's people boasting NYC that are the one's that keep talking about all of the large, Asian enclaves as a reason it's better when imo that is part of the reason it's not.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM

I agree the enclaves would be a reason it is NOT, b/c many of those areas have the "fresh off the boat" feel and are operating in an insular fashion. At the same time they are also catered to, probably by localization departments of companies. I.E. you might see a flyer or add from a prominent health insurance, but it will be in all chinese. If I happen to be in this area, and maybe it caught my attention, I am SOL in reading it. It is better for "authenticity" maybe. I was just making a point that is not like that allover and asians are indeed in many other neighborhoods, but probably not to the extent of Hawaii. I'm sure many NY burbs have a white feel.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM

136 posts, read 329,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
I have a few Asian friends, some speak Chinese, some Korean, but its clear that they came from a predominantly Asian community, and going "outside their community" didn't really happen for them until they went to college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Asians don't permeate every aspect of society and culture in NYC to the extent they do in Hawaii. It's obvious to anyone whose been to both places the difference in Asian culture between the places.

The fact that you feel everyone is a "minority" in NYC even exemplifies how Asians are so much more dominant in Hawaii. They aren't a minority, they are the MAJORITY and it's obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well the ironic thing is that it's people boasting NYC that are the one's that keep talking about all of the large, Asian enclaves as a reason it's better when imo that is part of the reason it's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I agree the enclaves would be a reason it is NOT, b/c many of those areas have the "fresh off the boat" feel and are operating in an insular fashion.
Exactly. In NYC, Asian culture is nothing more than a subculture that will have a relatively weak influence on those who don't actively seek it out. In Hawaii, Asian culture is not a subculture because it is part of the dominant culture and Asian influences are everywhere and affect everyone regardless of race. That results in Asians being very normalized in Hawaii, while they are still minorities in NYC.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Exactly. In NYC, Asian culture is nothing more than a subculture that will have a relatively weak influence on those who don't actively seek it out. In Hawaii, Asian culture is not a subculture because it is part of the dominant culture and Asian influences are everywhere and affect everyone regardless of race. That results in Asians being very normalized in Hawaii, while they are still minorities in NYC.
How about South Asians? Where would they fit in all this?

Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 AM

136 posts, read 329,825 times
I'm mainly talking about East Asians and Filipinos in Hawaii. There are very few South Asians in Hawaii, so they are minorities in Hawaii and NYC. But as a percentage of population, Hawaii has more Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Filipinos than NYC and together those groups are the majority (if you include those of multiple races) or the plurality (counting only those who are full Asian).

Last edited by Jonny08; 02-23-2014 at 02:08 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 04:09 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,636 times
Hawaii. Most of the state is Asian majority.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
I'm not Asian, but I have lived in Asia for 15 years. So, when I lived in NYC, I really seeked out the Asian communities.

A 'weak' influence is about right. There are plenty of Asians in NYC, but there are plenty of everyone. I was really seeking Asian stuff out, and it's around, but it's more confined to its own little areas. Flushing will give the Asian vibe, but it also gives a heavy Spanish vibe too. There are little commercial Chinatowns and Koreatowns, but not much to them either, as far as community or anything.

Hawaii, on the other hand, Asian culture permeates everywhere. It's in the food, it's in the culture, it's in the values, it's in the blood. But, its definitely more of a Japanese, Filipino, Chinese type of influences.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 AM

Are you sure you were in the right area of Flushing chinatown and not Elmhurst? I've walked around that area several times and it seemed 100% asian and would not call it a small area. It's much much bigger than Koreatown in Manhattan for example.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,218 times
New York City Metro wins easily for many reasons including:
Proximity to many nearby metro areas
Huge job market
Significant Asian population
Easy access to goods/services etc just by being in the largest us city
Top schools
Top professional class to network with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City