U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:57 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,962,537 times

Advertisements

Which state holds up better without their main city/metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,582,918 times
Dead heat. In terms of CSAs, Huntsville, Mobile and Montgomery are actually larger than those of Savannah, Augusta, and Columbus.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:51 PM

215 posts, read 306,978 times
Without Atlanta GA is below Alabama, same culture/food IMO too.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:11 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,871,047 times
GA by light years.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,284 posts, read 12,294,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Dead heat. In terms of CSAs, Huntsville, Mobile and Montgomery are actually larger than those of Savannah, Augusta, and Columbus.
Augusta doesn't have a CSA... The only city with a larger metro and urban population in Alabama is Birmingham...

Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
GA by light years.
Based on what? Huntsville is a huge tech and research center that isn't matched by Augusta, Columbus, or Savannah. Mobile is a much larger port than Savannah. While Montgomery isn't my favorite town on the planet, it's pretty much in a dead heat with Augusta. And, in truth, if you go right down the line and match Tuscaloosa versus Macon, Florence vs. Valdosta, etc., you pretty much have a dead heat on your hands.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,284 posts, read 12,294,417 times
Quote:
Based on what? Huntsville is a huge tech and research center that isn't matched by Augusta, Columbus, or Savannah. Mobile is a much larger port than Savannah. While Montgomery isn't my favorite town on the planet, it's pretty much in a dead heat with Augusta. And, in truth, if you go right down the line and match Tuscaloosa versus Macon, Florence vs. Valdosta, etc., you pretty much have a dead heat on your hands.
The medical and energy sectors in Augusta isn't matched anywhere in those cities..

The city of Savannah is more dynamic than Mobile in every single way..

Please explain how Augusta and Montgomery are pretty much in a dead heat?? I think you need to come visit Augusta sometime.. Lots of construction and many national retailers including Michael Kors, Apple, Whole Foods, Cabelas, Sephora, H&M, PF Changs, Costco, a new outlet mall coming soon, etc..

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-18-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 04:02 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,871,047 times
Quote:

Where is Mobile??

Top 10 Busiest Ports in the United States

http://nreionline.com/public-infrast..._images-531171

Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The medical and energy sectors in Augusta isn't matched anywhere in those cities..

The city of Savannah is more dynamic than Mobile in every single way..

Please explain how Augusta and Montgomery are pretty much in a dead heat?? I think you need to come visit Augusta sometime.. Lots of construction and many national retailers including Michael Kors, Apple, Whole Foods, Cabelas, Sephora, H&M, PF Changs, Costco, a new outlet mall coming soon, etc..
As far as dynamic is concerned, neither Mobile nor Savannah could really qualify. But Mobile is bigger, ships a lot more in and out of its port and has done an excellent job attracting industry lately with Thyssen Krupp and Airbus.

I've been to Augusta plenty of times. I have a client over there. By dead heat, I guess I should clarify. Neither town has all that much going for it. And Huntsville smokes both with a who's who in aerospace and tech.

Look, if you want to be a homer and cherry pick facts about Georgia's 2nd tier cities, suit yourself. But for you to sit here and say those towns outdistance Alabama's 2nd tier cities by anything approaching a wide margin, then I would say you're smoking crack.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Funny you have the list of 10 busiest ports in the United States. Mobile comes in at 11th, while Savannah is trailing behind at 28th with half of Mobile's volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City