Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I think Orlando is pretty underrated. Especially since their local economy is booming right now.

EDIT I said Raleigh before (definitely overrated) but IMHO the most overrated city in the Southeast is Charleston, SC.
Charleston may be overrated in a few respects, but it's far from being the most overrated in the Southeast.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:34 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,507,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charleston may be overrated in a few respects, but it's far from being the most overrated in the Southeast.
I thought when I visited it was a let down compared to say Savannah which I drove through the day earlier. The downtown area was all preppy stores, boutiques, and expensive restaurants. Once you got off the beaten path it quickly became sketch. It was a very small tourist city -- not of any real importance for the culture of the Southeast.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I thought when I visited it was a let down compared to say Savannah which I drove through the day earlier. The downtown area was all preppy stores, boutiques, and expensive restaurants. Once you got off the beaten path it quickly became sketch. It was a very small tourist city -- not of any real importance for the culture of the Southeast.
So you came to this conclusion based on nothing more than a quick drive down one or two streets downtown? And you did the same for Savannah...and this is what you're using as a basis of comparison????? I can't even begin to tell you how off you are in your assessment.

And saying that Charleston is "not of any real importance for the culture of the Southeast" reflects an extremely profound ignorance of the city's history and culture on your part.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,356,010 times
I far prefer Savannah over Charleston. Charleston has the battery which is stunning, but Savannah feels so much bigger and urban, much bigger core than Charleston.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
I don't think anyone should go to Savannah or Charleston looking for big city action. That's what New Orleans is for.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I far prefer Savannah over Charleston. Charleston has the battery which is stunning, but Savannah feels so much bigger and urban, much bigger core than Charleston.
Savannah feels so much bigger and urban? Not at all. As a metro, Charleston feels a good bit larger because it is. In the historic core, they feel similarly sized. Charleston's waterfront is more recreational with the Battery and Waterfront Park, while Savannah's waterfront feels busier with River Street lining it. Charleston's main commercial drag, King Street, is significantly busier than Broughton. Savannah's downtown feels more urban from a planning perspective with the grid system and the beautiful squares, while Charleston's feels more urban from an organic perspective with the tighter streets.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,356,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Savannah feels so much bigger and urban? Not at all. As a metro, Charleston feels a good bit larger because it is. In the historic core, they feel similarly sized. Charleston's waterfront is more recreational with the Battery and Waterfront Park, while Savannah's waterfront feels busier with River Street lining it. Charleston's main commercial drag, King Street, is significantly busier than Broughton. Savannah's downtown feels more urban from a planning perspective with the grid system and the beautiful squares, while Charleston's feels more urban from an organic perspective with the tighter streets.

OMG, you're too much. Savannah feels more urban than Charleston. In my opinion. Savannah has an extremely dense core that is larger than Charleston's on the peninsula. Organic or not.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
South, its different strokes for different folks. It depends on what they want out of life. Places like NC, SC, Houston and other bustling booming southern cities are much more practical for practical people who simply want to get a nice job, a decent size home and a big car. I mean there's a reason why these cities especially Dallas and Houston are called the land of the 60k millionaire. They're wonderful cities to love out the traditional American dream because they offer city grade amenities at relatively low costs. For that I'm glad they're there.

For cities like NYC, Miami, SF, LA, DC and Chicago the point is to be where the relevant action is. It's to move to a city with a greater connection to what's going on in the world. It's also a chance to really make it big. They're not very practical cities by comparison because once you arrive, your standard of living drops as things get pricier. You learn to adapt to account for it and enjoy the big world class big city amenities.

What I find strange is how so many in southern cities think that city is just a city? How y'all can't understand why we would want to move all the way out to X city if supposedly everything is already here in Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. Well....it's not the same.

A McMansion in a large master planned community outside of the city with a large amusement park entrance called something tacky like "Cross Creek Ranch", and a new pick up may seem like heaven to a lot of people, it's not to others. Heck even doing the nice loft young urban professional in downtown Charlotte doesn't even strike me as worth it.
Dude this is why people get so darned riled up.Everyone that does not live in the North is not somehow settling.
Nor is the South any less connected to "the world" than anywhere else.

Are you seriously saying that you cannot "make it big" in any other cities than those you mentioned?

WTF is this notion that everyone lives in a McMansion in the South?
Do you really think thereare not huge subdivisons of Mc Mansions in the suburbs of D.C.,Boston,or Philly?Do you actually think everybody who moves South or lives in the South live in the suburbs?
Geez.Give it a rest!You don't know what you are talking about!

There is almost NOTHING I can'd do in Atlanta that I can not do in those cities you hold in such highe regard.

Many people find working hard to come home to a rat infested apartment the size of a closet witha monthly rent of $1800 a month just to live in Boston,D.C.etc. is not living.

Another thing.Charlotte is not the same size as Atlanta or Houston so would it make sense for me to mention Stanford CT in the same breath as Boston or Philly as if they are the same?NO.

I havelived in NYC,Philly,and D.C. and i can tell you that it is not that great at all for everybody.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
OMG, you're too much. Savannah feels more urban than Charleston. In my opinion. Savannah has an extremely dense core that is larger than Charleston's on the peninsula. Organic or not.
If Savannah's core is extremely dense, then so is Charleston's. As a matter of fact, Charleston's is probably more dense since more of Savannah's core is dedicated to open spaces. Savannah's designated historic district is larger than Charleston's, but the cores of both cities extend beyond their historic districts and are very similarly sized. In terms of the entirety of the metro, it's no contest as Charleston wins that hands down and is overall more livable with a larger, more well-rounded economy; it's also growing faster. You're just being a homer, like always.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,070,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
South, its different strokes for different folks. It depends on what they want out of life. Places like NC, SC, Houston and other bustling booming southern cities are much more practical for practical people who simply want to get a nice job, a decent size home and a big car. I mean there's a reason why these cities especially Dallas and Houston are called the land of the 60k millionaire. They're wonderful cities to love out the traditional American dream because they offer city grade amenities at relatively low costs. For that I'm glad they're there.

For cities like NYC, Miami, SF, LA, DC and Chicago the point is to be where the relevant action is. It's to move to a city with a greater connection to what's going on in the world. It's also a chance to really make it big. They're not very practical cities by comparison because once you arrive, your standard of living drops as things get pricier. You learn to adapt to account for it and enjoy the big world class big city amenities.

What I find strange is how so many in southern cities think that city is just a city? How y'all can't understand why we would want to move all the way out to X city if supposedly everything is already here in Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. Well....it's not the same.

A McMansion in a large master planned community outside of the city with a large amusement park entrance called something tacky like "Cross Creek Ranch", and a new pick up may seem like heaven to a lot of people, it's not to others. Heck even doing the nice loft young urban professional in downtown Charlotte doesn't even strike me as worth it.
Maybe if a 3-4 bedroom apartment in NYC wasn't 3-4k+ a month, more families would live in the city instead of the suburbs where you can get the same for 1.5k-2k in the sunbelt cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City