Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 02:12 AM

437 posts, read 547,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Geesh, you went everywhere EXCEPT the places you should have. Pittsburgh and Mechanicsville? Unless you wanted to wander around the surrounding neighborhood after a Braves game or got lost, what were you doing there? As far as things to do, there's tons. Of course there's the touristy area around Centennial Park with the aquarium, CNN Center, etc., but you completely missed Midtown (huge omission on your part), Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, Little Five Points, Inman Park, Grant Park, East Atlanta Village, Edgewood, etc.

Not sure how long ago you went, but in recent years downtown in particular has turned a major corner. Lots of new investment going on after the new urban park and minor league ballpark were built a few years ago.

Seems like you missed the riverfront which is truly the jewel of their downtown. And then there are the natural amenities in the area like Lookout Mountain, Racoon Mountain, Ruby Falls, etc.

It helps to do research when visiting places for the first time; you can miss a lot by just driving through aimlessly not knowing where to go.

I spent most of my time in atlanta downtown. I said that i drove through pittsburgh and machanicsville to let people know i've also seen some of the hood side of atlanta. I'll look up all those places you mentioned soon to educate myself if it's needed..

I was in Birmingham in 2009 and Chattanooga in 2011. I didn't spend a lot of time in either. I was just mostly driving around but from what I saw they weren't that great. I know you can sometimes miss a lot when you visit cities so quickly like this but when you do places like Nashville and Charleston the same way you can see they have greatness just by driving through.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times
Overrated: Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa

Underrated: New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville, San Antonio, Houston

Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I spent most of my time in atlanta downtown. I said that i drove through pittsburgh and machanicsville to let people know i've also seen some of the hood side of atlanta. I'll look up all those places you mentioned soon to educate myself if it's needed..
Yeah you definitely saw some of the hood side when you went to Pittsburgh and Mechanicsville, LOL. But at least they have gotten some new development in recent years. As far as downtown goes, outside of the Centennial Olympic Park area and the touristy stretch of Peachtree, there's not much there that would appeal to tourists. You've definitely gotta hit Midtown next time and check out Piedmont Park, the botanical gardens, Fox Theater, High Museum, etc. Grant Park has the zoo and Cyclorama. The other neighborhoods I mentioned have active, walkable commercial districts that are pretty lively.

Quote:
I was in Birmingham in 2009 and Chattanooga in 2011. I didn't spend a lot of time in either. I was just mostly driving around but from what I saw they weren't that great. I know you can sometimes miss a lot when you visit cities so quickly like this but when you do places like Nashville and Charleston the same way you can see they have greatness just by driving through.
Yeah the new stuff wasn't in Birmingham yet; Railroad Park was built in 2010. In Chattanooga, a lot of the attractions are clustered at the riverfront, away from the traditional downtown which is more or less your normal downtown (but with more historic buildings than you'd probably expect).

Old 04-11-2014, 03:27 AM

437 posts, read 547,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah you definitely saw some of the hood side when you went to Pittsburgh and Mechanicsville, LOL. But at least they have gotten some new development in recent years. As far as downtown goes, outside of the Centennial Olympic Park area and the touristy stretch of Peachtree, there's not much there that would appeal to tourists. You've definitely gotta hit Midtown next time and check out Piedmont Park, the botanical gardens, Fox Theater, High Museum, etc. Grant Park has the zoo and Cyclorama. The other neighborhoods I mentioned have active, walkable commercial districts that are pretty lively.

Yeah the new stuff wasn't in Birmingham yet; Railroad Park was built in 2010. In Chattanooga, a lot of the attractions are clustered at the riverfront, away from the traditional downtown which is more or less your normal downtown (but with more historic buildings than you'd probably expect).

True..guess I'll have to check this post next time I'm near those cities. I guess it's just harder to find the action in those cities unless you look a little harder.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yes Cocaine runs the economy. Stay out, unless you want to die. Florida isn't for the weak, or those who are easily scared of thugs, and killers. Best stay in Atlanta.
Don't get mad at me because your favorite city is built on drug money. #fact

And you're right, I was born and raised in Tallahasee and I left for Georgia for a reason. Furthermore, I've never regretted doing so.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
overrated: ATLANTA...nothing to do...felt dangerous as hell even in the day time. i would hate to see it at night time. nothing to do. drove around most of it and it didnt look like much. Saw buckhead, lennox square, downtown, pittsburgh, machnaicsville, and I also drove up north to the Sandy Springs area and it looked like the worst example of suburban boringness.

overrated: Birmingham. Now I know people don't hype up B-ham that much but people act like it's nicer than it is. I was their one night and it looked like a southern version of Detroit minus the burned down houses.l..deader than dead and absolutely nothing to do other than look at some statues in a downtown park.

overrated: Chatt-town...I kept hearing how nice it is and how it's "not a tourist trap like nashville and memphis" and how it's a hidden gem and all that...I drove through the entire city one time and it looked like there was no identity at all and nothing to do ...sure there was a downtown i guess and places to eat but nothing stood out at all in the entire place and it seemed too small physically.

underrated: Orlando...lots of things to do (too much), good shopping everywhere the eye can look as well as cheap options everywhere, food everywhere, decent downtown, good suburbs like winter park that are fun too, theme parks everywhere that you can get good deals on year round prices, nice parks east of downtown

underrated: Fort Myers...fun beach area, nice malls, good looking girls everywhere, cheap

underrated: tampa...i always see people slamming tampa but I don't get why? You can do literally anything you want in the area.

underrated: lexington

I would add nashville, charleston and myrtle beach to underrated but i think they're rated well enough
Atlanta is fabulous with or without your skewed opinion. Have fun riding the go-karts at Disney World until the wheels melt and you have a heat stroke.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Overrated: Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa

Underrated: New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville, San Antonio, Houston
How is Dallas overrated yet Atlanta underrated? They're pretty similar yet most people who've never been to either think Atlanta is amazing and Dallas sucks.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
How is Dallas overrated yet Atlanta underrated? They're pretty similar yet most people who've never been to either think Atlanta is amazing and Dallas sucks.
Which isn't true in the least bit. Because I too find it hard to like one and not the other, unless geography plays a part. Which in that case, I prefer Atlanta to Dallas as well.

One thing I've never said that I wanted to say is that LOVE the Park Cities area. I mean just TOO awesome. I would so buy a second home there if I could afford to.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Atlanta only seems over rated when people compare it to Philly, Chicago and New York City. For us normal people, Atlanta lives up to its reputation.

Nashville is very overrated. Not interesting at all unless you are into live music. The scenery is nice. It isn't as sophisticated and as balanced as many would want others to believe.

I would agree with Raleigh being under rated. The area has so much of what other cities wish they had. A little expensive other hand a pretty good qol.

Louisville is also a very cool city with a lot of culture and history with no recognition.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Buckhead's skyline alone is awesome. You should post this in the Atlanta thread because naysayers don't want to see the beast that is Atlanta in true form.
Who are the naysayers?

I love Atlanta's skyline. Midtown I don't care for. Too many crowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City