Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 02:06 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,390 times

Advertisements

I found Denver to be the most overrated place I have ever been to in America. As someone who doesn't smoke marijuana and who is repulsed by the smell of it, I seriously do not understand what all the hype is about.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I found Denver to be the most overrated place I have ever been to in America. As someone who doesn't smoke marijuana and who is repulsed by the smell of it, I seriously do not understand what all the hype is about.
It's the "big city" for many people that have nothing else around them.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:25 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Seattle is a nice city, but to me it just seems kinda smallish, becomes dead early, and the hustle and bustle is not really there. It has some "cute" areas but that's about it, now on the nature side of the coin is where the Puget Sound really shines imo.
I'll have to disagree, being that I live in a neighborhood adjacent to downtown and see first-hand the lively pedestrian activity outside day and night. I'm curious, have you lived in Downtown Seattle before? What are you basing your comment on?

Old 09-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I'll have to disagree, being that I live in a neighborhood adjacent to downtown and see first-hand the lively pedestrian activity outside day and night. I'm curious, have you lived in Downtown Seattle before? What are you basing your comment on?
I live in west Seattle and my gf lives in Capitol Hill, everything I'm saying is from experience, been living out here for 4 years, how long have you been here?

Old 09-20-2015, 06:15 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
I live in west Seattle and my gf lives in Capitol Hill, everything I'm saying is from experience, been living out here for 4 years, how long have you been here?
I've been in Cap Hill for two years and walk to work downtown. I wouldn't discredit the bustle of the Pike/Pine district no matter the time of day. I don't think I've ever seen a sleepy pedestrian scene in this district. Even in the CBD, you see very crowded streets most days, with an obvious emphasis in the retail core.

You could say pedestrian activity dwindles off in the Denny Triangle/SLU after office hours, but with the amount of residential towers in development, these neighborhoods are more in transition if anything.

I do acknowledge your perspective, though, with certain blocks around downtown, and especially with our lame waterfront. But I do have a lot of optimism given that our entire urban core is a big construction zone currently.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I've been in Cap Hill for two years and walk to work downtown. I wouldn't discredit the bustle of the Pike/Pine district no matter the time of day. I don't think I've ever seen a sleepy pedestrian scene in this district. Even in the CBD, you see very crowded streets most days, with an obvious emphasis in the retail core.

You could say pedestrian activity dwindles off in the Denny Triangle/SLU after office hours, but with the amount of residential towers in development, these neighborhoods are more in transition if anything.

I do acknowledge your perspective, though, with certain blocks around downtown, and especially with our lame waterfront. But I do have a lot of optimism given that our entire urban core is a big construction zone currently.
I guess it depends on what someone considers "crowded" and or lively, only place that has ever looked somewhat crowded to is around pikes place market, and perhaps further up on 1st, but it has always been on weekends with nice weather, otherwise I wouldn't call Seattle lively at all. Anyone who comes on a Tuesday or Thursday night to Seattle or Capitol Hill expecting a lively environment will be sorely disappointed IMO.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:52 PM

213 posts, read 278,044 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on what someone considers "crowded" and or lively, only place that has ever looked somewhat crowded to is around pikes place market, and perhaps further up on 1st, but it has always been on weekends with nice weather, otherwise I wouldn't call Seattle lively at all. Anyone who comes on a Tuesday or Thursday night to Seattle or Capitol Hill expecting a lively environment will be sorely disappointed IMO.
That's just not accurate - on a Thursday night Belltown, Capitol Hill, Ballard, Fremont and several other areas (even Pioneer Squate lately) are pretty lively from my experience.

And that's from the perspective of someone who has lived in San Francisco and Japan and has visited many lively places around the country and the world. Id put Seattle in the top 7 or 8 in terms of liveliness in the US.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
That's just not accurate - on a Thursday night Belltown, Capitol Hill, Ballard, Fremont and several other areas (even Pioneer Squate lately) are pretty lively from my experience.

And that's from the perspective of someone who has lived in San Francisco and Japan and has visited many lively places around the country and the world. Id put Seattle in the top 7 or 8 in terms of liveliness in the US.
Well we can agree to disagree, I really don't see it, this is from someone who has lived in LA, Boston, and visited Sao Paulo numerous times.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Aren't you the same person that asked if Denver was part of the North?

First off, Denver isn't defined by Marijuana. Will people please quit associating...ugh. Literally it seems like nothing has changed (other than dispensaries everywhere) since the legalization. You won't just come here and be walking through clouds of smoke. Like, you don't see Seattle getting crap....

Can you explain what you thought was overrated though? Literally no one even cares about Denver unless they're moving here.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Overrated: San Francisco
Underrated: Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City