Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has/will see the most Gentrification in America
Brooklyn/New York etc 79 31.73%
Chicago 22 8.84%
Washington DC 58 23.29%
Philadelphia 14 5.62%
Boston 13 5.22%
Atlanta 17 6.83%
San Francisco 34 13.65%
Los Angeles 12 4.82%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

'Manhattanizing' Philadelphia could help make Camden the next Brooklyn

when (and if) this day comes Philly has truly turned the corner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Seriously? Washington D.C. There are plenty of stories on it and how its affecting the city's residents.

Sorry New York, but you didn't go from murder capital of the world in the 1990's to one of the safest large cities in the country in 20 years mostly because of the efforts of gentrification.
Agree. Gentrification has a really positive impact on home values, reduced crime, and so much more.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 PM

465 posts, read 658,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Maybe then include some facts, so we know what you're talking about?

There is no Census metric defining gentrification, so I don't know what sorts of facts you could even cite.
I would say that the metric that defines gentrification is income.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM

465 posts, read 658,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
This is hilarious. Your own link (1st link) does not put Atlanta ahead of SF, NYC, DC, or any other city mentioned. In fact, to quote your own link!:

Here's what else is interesting. The Cleveland Fed considered a census tract that could gentrify as one whose median housing cost was below the median for the entire MSA (because we all know the median for the city is going to be higher, so lower than MSA median would be very low).

Of the top 15 cities on the list, Atlanta had the 3rd highest percentage of census tracts with median housing prices below the MSA median (which by the way is only $137,600 right now), with 59% of all census tracts below the entire metro median housing price. That means 59% of all City of Atlanta census tracts have median housing prices of less than $137,600. Contrast that with SF, which had only 33% of its census tracts with median housing prices below that of the median for the MSA (currently $642,400). So Atlanta starts with far far far more opportunity to gentrify, because as I did state before, most of the city is pretty darn ghetto (I guess numbers don't lie!). SF had far less opportunity to gentrify since city housing prices are so high already, and higher than the MSA median over 67% of the city's census tracts.

Anyway, long story short, Atlanta gentrified a higher percentage of census tracts, though a smaller percentage of census tracts that could be gentrified in the first place.

Also, here is the study's definition of gentrification (you will see that this study is already a moot point since it looked at the time period 2000-2007, which was Atlanta's largest boom period and fastest growth period, and SF's was average at best during that period since it was still recovering from the Dot Com bust...it STILL gentrified more than Atlanta according to the study)

You're totally missing my point. I'm only referring to your comments about DC. If you believe that DC is gentrifying rapidly then based on the numbers in the first link you'd have to believe that ATL was doing the same. Hell there is barely anything to gentrify in San Francisco so I could care less about it.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:48 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
SO Basically your just talking about NELA. There is much more space left. Call me when Westlake/McArthur Park get gentrified
It begins. Might want to keep that phone number handy:

Quote:
HBO Writers Moving Into Westlake's Historic Hayworth Theatre
Thursday, March 13, 2014, by Bianca Barragan

It seems like the gentrification of Westlake/MacArthur Park may be led by the theaters: last fall we heard about a proposed rehab and new hipster owners for the Playhouse Theatre, and now here's a TV-funded reboot of the historic 1926 Hayworth Theatre on Wilshire, just east of the MacArthur Park lake (known formerly as the Vagabond movie theater and more recently a live theater). Jenji Kohan, creator of Weeds and Orange is the New Black bought the building that houses the theater and the recently shuttered La Fonda restaurant in November for $4 million and is planning to move her staff in, says the LA Times.

Kohan's plans could bring major changes to the area: She's turning the Hayworth's second floor into a production office for her writers and editors (on all her shows, which include a new HBO pilot set during the Salem witch trials), while maintaining the first floor as a theater for performances. There are also two smaller stages upstairs, but it's unclear what will happen with those. "We want to bring the building back to its former glory. It was pretty beat up," Kohan's husband/business partner says about the Spanish colonial-style theater, designed by the renowned Stiles O. Clements, architect of the El Capitan. There's talk of a new restaurant in the old La Fonda space, too. Is this the beginning of the full-force gentrification for MacArthur Park?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Seems to me that gentrification is not the word to use for DC. Almost all of DC's development has been new construction on vacant lots. People aren't get priced out. People are making a killing and moving out with their million payday on a house they paid $100,000 for. DC is the complete opposite of other cities when it comes to this. Renters can't be gentrified since they don't own their homes. If that was gentrification, ever apartment complex in every city, town, college town, and outpost would have gentrification since they always raise the rent.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Seems to me that gentrification is not the word to use for DC. Almost all of DC's development has been new construction on vacant lots. People aren't get priced out. People are making a killing and moving out with their million payday on a house they paid $100,000 for. DC is the complete opposite of other cities when it comes to this. Renters can't be gentrified since they don't own their homes. If that was gentrification, ever apartment complex in every city, town, college town, and outpost would have gentrification since they always raise the rent.

I think it's pretty hard to make the argument that people are not being priced out of DC...

Old 03-17-2014, 05:28 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
'Manhattanizing' Philadelphia could help make Camden the next Brooklyn

when (and if) this day comes Philly has truly turned the corner
I don't see this happening. There are many, many neighborhoods which can be developed/gentrified within Philadelphia's city limits without making anyone but the city's poorest consider Camden an option. I do see the area right around the aquarium being ripe for a condo development or two, to appeal to downtown workers who desire a quick commute across the bridge.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't see this happening. There are many, many neighborhoods which can be developed/gentrified within Philadelphia's city limits without making anyone but the city's poorest consider Camden an option. I do see the area right around the aquarium being ripe for a condo development or two, to appeal to downtown workers who desire a quick commute across the bridge.
agreed - think I was more sarcastic than anything with the link

Would agree that the area around the aquarium and closer to Rutgers Camden could see limited development - its a 10 minute subway ride to CC from there

North Broad and South Broad will continue to see more gentrification along the Broad Street Subway Line below Washington (maybe all the way to the stadiums) and Above Spring Garden up to Temple

That said Philly will have vast swaths of wasteland for years

Old 03-17-2014, 05:48 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
It begins. Might want to keep that phone number handy:

HA!....I somewhat take that back, but it does have a long way to go before you start seeing white babies in strollers around McArthur Park Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City