Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has/will see the most Gentrification in America
Brooklyn/New York etc 79 31.73%
Chicago 22 8.84%
Washington DC 58 23.29%
Philadelphia 14 5.62%
Boston 13 5.22%
Atlanta 17 6.83%
San Francisco 34 13.65%
Los Angeles 12 4.82%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:32 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Seems like things are in overdrive in Brooklyn as of recently:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/29...?referer=&_r=0

Also here's an interesting article about the spread of gentrification across DC and the city's maintaining of its AA music culture.

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/ind...entrifying-dc/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 PM

641 posts, read 801,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Spike Lee recently went off about the Gentrification levels in Brooklyn. He likened it to Christopher Columbus, and the killing of Natives in Brazil. So my question plain and simple which city has seen the highest levels of gentrification or where is it more apparent in the U.S.?

Spike Lee Gets Real About Brooklyn's Gentrification | Colorlines
Lol. And whose fought is that?

To answer ur question: I voted dc. Nyc and atl will too. NO is in the process as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, gentrification of black areas will continue as long as the majority of blacks continue to have a liberal ideology of relying on someone or something to do for them. It is not sustainable in the long run.

What does spike lee expect when the masses let personal accountability take a backseat to over reliance on govt. That mindset gives up too much control. Blacks were positioned very well in inner cities. Pretty much Over populating the core of huge cities. Instead of having personal responsibility and really maintaining controls as best as we could, we complain complain complain for someone to make it better for us. I don't know why we start thinking people were kind enough to care. You cant fool me w tht democrats are for black ppl bs.

Eventually, we got tired of the consequences of being in an area filled w ppl who don't prioritize personal responsibility and we moved to the suburbs into white areas where things were better. Now, white flight is causing them to move back into the inner cities where there is better infrastucture and gentrify historic black areas in inner cities. Blacks will be stuck in suburbs,, complaining complaining complaining for someone else to make it better but this time, moving into the city will be too expensive. We got played. The only alternative is to move to some rural town where im sure rednecks and clan members will welcome us with open arms.

Wake up people

Old 11-29-2015, 11:43 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Dc
nyc
sf

Old 11-30-2015, 10:59 AM

218 posts, read 342,230 times
New York City hands down , gentrification happens there like wildfire, almost like its normal. Neighborhoods that were predominantly black and/or hispanic with tiny white populations less then 2% in the 90s, are now like 20% white in 2015. Some prime exaples of this is Harlem, as well as Bed Stuy and Bushwick in Brooklyn, to name a few. The gentrification in NYC got many black and hispanics moving to other neighborhoods further away from manhattan, some are even moving to NJ, PA, upstate NY, or down south.

Other cities i think will experience major gentrification is DC, Boston, San Francisco, and LA. Just not too the extant of NY

Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Surprised by Boston having the lowest score on this poll.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:20 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Boston doesn't have to gentrify much though.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 AM

233 posts, read 368,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Boston doesn't have to gentrify much though.
To answer the OP Boston has gentrified enormously over the past few decades and is continuing to do so rapidly in outer neighborhoods like Alston, South Boston and Charlestown. Roxbury, and Dorchester are seeing gentrification as are surrounding sites like Quincy, Sommerville, Malden, Medford and Revere. The population of Boston is projected to exceed 700k by 2020 (in 48sqmi) and all those new people need housing.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:18 PM

401 posts, read 551,553 times
New York/Brooklyn has been massively gentrified. When my parents moved here in the 80s, Manhattan was definitely affordable. They were able to afford the area but didn't because they found ideal jobs in Queens. Apartments were going for $500 a month for a family of 3-4 in downtown area. Now those type of apartments go for probably $5000 a month.

From what I've heard from people who used to work in 80s/90s Brooklyn, a lot has changed. It has become much safer than it was before.

Queens has seen changes too. The Bronx isn't nearly as bad as it was in the 80s/90s.

The price has skyrocketed in Manhattan over the past 30 years.

D.C. got gentrified to an extent.

Philly rent is still cheap. Finding an apartment for $400-$500 is definitely doable in Philly. Granted, it may not be a really safe area but nonetheless, housing is way cheaper there. I've seen people split a house in West Philly's rent (very good condition, with high ceilings and 4-5 bedrooms) for only $3000 between 6 people.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Seems like things are in overdrive in Brooklyn as of recently:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/29...?referer=&_r=0

Also here's an interesting article about the spread of gentrification across DC and the city's maintaining of its AA music culture.

Keeping Go-Go Music Going in a Gentrifying D.C. - The Atlantic - The Atlantic
GoGo is still alive and booming in DC. I was at this W.H.A.T. Band show and it was at capacity packed to the brim at the Howard Theater. That crazy, hype, and electric atmosphere GoGo is known for is on full display at 16:00 of this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWp_UgsifU

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-06-2015 at 11:58 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 10:39 AM

181 posts, read 205,872 times
Gentrification is an interesting topic because it seems to be the reversal of urban decay that was an issue decades ago in many big cities, with higher income residents flocking to the homogenous suburbs (and away from minority groups). In many cities across the US, living in the suburbs was considered part of the "American dream."

Gentrification seems to be the result of supply/demand, and socioeconomic disparity. At one time higher income populations wanted to live in the suburbs, and now they are flocking into cities and lower income residents are being displaced. If the trend reversed and higher income residents wanted to live in the suburbs, there would be a similar issue, and there has been an issue with large ghettos forming in big cities in the past due to that.

Gentrification in NYC is prevalent, but this is not anything new and has seemed to be going on since the 1990s. I think that NYC might see the most gentrification, but it does not seem as bad as people claim if you take into account the overall demographics of the boroughs. It is not like minorities are leaving the city in droves but they are being displaced into different neighborhoods. NYC still has some of the largest minority populations in the USA and the median income is still around 50,000. I think this is more the result of supply/demand...it is a place that many people want to live and those who cannot afford to live in the desirable areas are forced to go somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City