Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pedestrian life compared to Brooklyn?
Greater 7 10.29%
Same 4 5.88%
Less 57 83.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:19 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

How does the pedestrian activity in Central LA compare to Brooklyn's? Is it greater, about the same, or less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 AM

281 posts, read 712,652 times
Here's some highly relevant trivia: the Three Stooges where disappointed by the lack of pedestrian activity when they moved from Brooklyn to LA.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:14 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times
Not sure, I've only been to LA, but both are HUGE cities obviously. NYC as a whole has more people than LA, but I'm not sure about the specific population of Brooklyn it's self.

I would say the same, both have lots of people and crowded streets, both are hustle and bustle.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
This has to be a joke poll.

Where is the "much, much less" option?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Much less. ALL of New York sans Staten Island has busier areas and are denser over much larger areas than any other major U.S. city.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,641,982 times
The funny thing is that until yesterday, I would have said that Brooklyn has more pedestrian activity, no question. I'm not all that familiar with Brooklyn, but my grandmother was born and raised Sheepshead Bay and always spoke of how lively the neighborhood was. I always just assumed it had nearly but not quite as much pedestrian activity as Manhattan.

But then yesterday, a few of the forumers posting here (Grapico, MichiVegas, and BajanYankee) spent about 40 pages over on this thread trying to argue that Los Angeles isn't walkable and hardly has any pedestrian activity. To prove their point, they kept posting videos and streetviews of Brooklyn, and eventually created this poll to prove their point. Checking out the videos and streetviews, I was surprised to find that Brooklyn resembles Los Angeles in terms of density, number of pedestrians on the street, and overall layout (blvds with commercial strips surrounded by residential) far more than I thought it would. Its certainly more similar to Los Angeles than it is to Manhattan in terms of pedestrian activity, and I even think LA might have the edge.

So I want to thank you 3 guys for the education! I now have a better perspective on what Brooklyn is actually like thanks to you, although probably not in the way you intended.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:43 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
The funny thing is that until yesterday, I would have said that Brooklyn has more pedestrian activity, no question.
You have quite the imagination. Your whole posted narrative was just made up.

There were 40 pages of yourself and one or two other forumers claiming that strip malls and gas stations and parking lots were more walker friendly than apartment buildings and transit hubs and street-level retail.

There were even claims that these strip malls and gas stations were reminiscent of Manhattan and Cannes. So I'm sure we'll be treated to more of the same here.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 PM

303 posts, read 578,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
You have quite the imagination. Your whole posted narrative was just made up.

There were 40 pages of yourself and one or two other forumers claiming that strip malls and gas stations and parking lots were more walker friendly than apartment buildings and transit hubs and street-level retail.

There were even claims that these strip malls and gas stations were reminiscent of Manhattan and Cannes. So I'm sure we'll be treated to more of the same here.
Lol

Old 03-01-2014, 08:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
^^ Those videos posted weren't really reflective, at least of Williamsburg. I'll try to shoot some video next time I'm in the area. I shot some today in Manhattan showing what I thought was average activity in Herald Square, in "winter" and 35 degrees no less. I'll up it later probably, but the computer I'm using now takes too long to render and stabilize 1080p. Meh... nm not waiting this long for a street video...shaky it is.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 PM

437 posts, read 628,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
The funny thing is that until yesterday, I would have said that Brooklyn has more pedestrian activity, no question. I'm not all that familiar with Brooklyn, but my grandmother was born and raised Sheepshead Bay and always spoke of how lively the neighborhood was. I always just assumed it had nearly but not quite as much pedestrian activity as Manhattan.

But then yesterday, a few of the forumers posting here (Grapico, MichiVegas, and BajanYankee) spent about 40 pages over on this thread trying to argue that Los Angeles isn't walkable and hardly has any pedestrian activity. To prove their point, they kept posting videos and streetviews of Brooklyn, and eventually created this poll to prove their point. Checking out the videos and streetviews, I was surprised to find that Brooklyn resembles Los Angeles in terms of density, number of pedestrians on the street, and overall layout (blvds with commercial strips surrounded by residential) far more than I thought it would. Its certainly more similar to Los Angeles than it is to Manhattan in terms of pedestrian activity, and I even think LA might have the edge.

So I want to thank you 3 guys for the education! I now have a better perspective on what Brooklyn is actually like thanks to you, although probably not in the way you intended.
I wouldn't go that far, but for someone to try to disprove LA's walkability and pedestrian activity by comparing it to Brooklyn it says a lot about how far we've come from the days LA was being compared to the likes of Miami or Portland, funny thing is I take criticism from Grapico much more seriously than BY since the only visit he's ever had in LA was through Google streetview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City