Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most desirable movie city
NYC 29 43.94%
LA 37 56.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:48 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I actually find it very distracting when they use DTLA as a stand-in for NYC. You're being told its NYC and all of the sudden you see ficus trees or a bright orange Metro bus or a red curb and you realize its Downtown LA. It pulls you out of the story for a moment and reminds you that its all a sham.

I don't think DTLA was an NYC stand-in in Inception? I thought they were supposed to be in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 05:30 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
That's an easy choice to me...

I'd rather not put up with the typical obnoxious New York attitudes, super cold winters, dirty streets, explosive atmosphere, dirty beaches and high prices...

I'd rather deal with LA's segregated neighborhoods, traffic, and danger of earthquakes and fires than live in NY.
Clearly you know nothing about New York's beaches. The top beach in the USA was in - you guessed it - New York.

America's Top 10 Beaches Of 2013 - Forbes

None were in California.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Quote:
Even when a movie is not set in Los Angeles, they tend to film in LA whenever they can to save money because all the studios are here. Downtown LA has a lot of architecture reminiscent of Manhattan so the filming here never really stops. Its not uncommon to walk around my neighborhood and see NYPD police cars and NY Taxi cabs. Sometimes they get really elaborate and put up fake NYC style street signs or even a fake subway entrance. The most recent occurrence I can think of was just 2 weeks ago when I walked outside my building and saw they were filming Brooklyn Nine Nine. Pretty ironic considering I literally live on Los Angeles Street

Another fun fact: Despite the fact that there are Mad Men tours in NYC where you can visit all the locations they are supposed to be at in the show, Mad Men is filmed entirely in Downtown LA.
Yes I know but the problem with this is that people who are familiar with LA or NYC will know. I will use one of my favorite movies as an example, Badder Santa the part of the movie that was supposed be on Miami Beach, you could clearly tell it was LA. No royal palms, wrong sand color, and the hotel scene had is car driving up a hill. I lived in South Florida for 9 years and the only hill in South Florida is mount dumpmore. I prefer movies that are actulally shot on location like Bad Boys 1&2, it makes the movie feel more authentic.

Last edited by ATUMRE75; 03-03-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Neither. I voted for Gotham.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Clearly you know nothing about New York's beaches. The top beach in the USA was in - you guessed it - New York.

America's Top 10 Beaches Of 2013 - Forbes

None were in California.
Forbes can do whatever rankings its wants. But I'll still take this over Long Island any day:

Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder if that picture was even taken in California.

lol

Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder if that picture was even taken in California.

lol
Watch out, we have a genius over here...

Big Sur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Even when a movie is not set in Los Angeles, they tend to film in LA whenever they can to save money because all the studios are here. Downtown LA has a lot of architecture reminiscent of Manhattan so the filming here never really stops. Its not uncommon to walk around my neighborhood and see NYPD police cars and NY Taxi cabs. Sometimes they get really elaborate and put up fake NYC style street signs or even a fake subway entrance. The most recent occurrence I can think of was just 2 weeks ago when I walked outside my building and saw they were filming Brooklyn Nine Nine. Pretty ironic considering I literally live on Los Angeles Street

Another fun fact: Despite the fact that there are Mad Men tours in NYC where you can visit all the locations they are supposed to be at in the show, Mad Men is filmed entirely in Downtown LA.
That's not necessarily the case anymore. Atlanta and New Orleans have stolen a lot of LA's movie mojo thanks to lucrative tax credits and thriving entertainment communities (re: talent) that are starting to rival those in South California.

The largest film studio in the country outside of California -- Pinewood Atlanta Studios -- is getting ready to open in Georgia, and Hollywood producers are lining up to do projects there. Film industry executives from both California and Europe who've toured the facility are already calling PINEWOOD ATLANTA the finest movie production facility in the nation, and perhaps the world.

ALSO: The highest-rated show in the history of cable television, "The Walking Dead," is filmed entirely in Georgia. So no, you do not have to be in New York or LA to make hit movies and TV shows. And the business is going to continue moving away from NYC and LA as they become more and more expensive to live and do business.

Further, several films and TV series that are set in LA and NYC are / were in fact filmed in Atlanta. Two that come immediately to mind are "Anchorman 2" and Lifetime's "Drop Dead Diva."

Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
That's not necessarily the case anymore. Atlanta and New Orleans have stolen a lot of LA's movie mojo thanks to lucrative tax credits and thriving entertainment communities (re: talent) that are starting to rival those in South California.

The largest film studio in the country outside of California -- Pinewood Atlanta Studios -- is getting ready to open in Georgia, and Hollywood producers are lining up to do projects there. Film industry executives from both California and Europe who've toured the facility are already calling PINEWOOD ATLANTA the finest movie production facility in the nation, and perhaps the world.

ALSO: The highest-rated show in the history of cable television, "The Walking Dead," is filmed entirely in Georgia. So no, you do not have to be in New York or LA to make hit movies and TV shows. And the business is going to continue moving away from NYC and LA as they become more and more expensive to live and do business.

Further, several films and TV series that are set in LA and NYC are / were in fact filmed in Atlanta. Two that come immediately to mind are "Anchorman 2" and Lifetime's "Drop Dead Diva."
Right but this thread happens to be about LA and NY. Whatever is being done in Dallas, Atlanta, and New Orleans is minuscule compared to NY let alone LA.
LA rules this thread.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Yes I know but the problem with this is that people who are familiar with LA or NYC will know. I will use one of my favorite movies as an example, Badder Santa the part of the movie that was supposed be on Miami Beach, you could clearly tell it was LA. No royal palms, wrong sand color, and the hotel scene had is car driving up a hill. I lived in South Florida for 9 years and the only hill in South Florida is mount dumpmore. I prefer movies that are actulally shot on location like Bad Boys 1&2, it makes the movie feel more authentic.
Two more: Seinfeld and Friends. Two shows that not only take place in New York but are focus quite a bit on New York apartment lifestyle...and they were both shot 100% in LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City