U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,152,238 times

Advertisements

Just what it says in the title.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
I've been to every one of these cities and felt good in every single one of them. But I would say NYC.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,828,331 times
Very hard question to answer unless you've actually lived in all five cities.

I don't now which is best but would say that Chicago and Boston are the bottom two.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM

478 posts, read 847,753 times
I would say DC where you have some of the most econmically well off African Americans anywhere. I know that Boston is very segregated and would rate it least of all from my experiences there. I hear Chicago is pretty segregated as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Just throwing it out there...voluntary segregation (opposed to imposed segregation) doesn't necessarily equal poor race relations.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 AM

4,948 posts, read 6,869,998 times
I bet DC prob has one of the best race relations, followed by NYC? then perhaps Philly, Chicago and Boston

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
I hear Chicago is pretty segregated as well.
Segregation doesn't mean that people between races are going to be in conflict with one another. While the segregation in these cities were certainly racist-related many decades ago and have their origins in it, today there is a lot of voluntary segregation in numerous cities (i.e. ethnic enclaves, keeping with the history of the family, etc). There is no big city that has a true mass amount of true racist tactics when it comes to where you want to live. If you have the money to live wherever you want in these cities, you can do it without barrier.

With that said, IMO, NYC has the best of the five maybe.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 AM

317 posts, read 269,590 times
Chicago and Boston really are the worst of the cities. Anybody who has been there a significant amount of time and actually been to places can tell you that. Fanboys will tell you otherwise though. Yes, there is such a thing as self-segregation. But that's not the case for most of those two places. Whites in Chicago for example just like to stay separate from Black or Latinos (mostly Mexican there right?). Not to say there aren't interracial couples and especially friends in those places. But those exist just about everywhere. Doesn't change the fact that's quite far from a majority case.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Fanboys will tell you otherwise though.
Any fanboy to Chicago will tell you that Black-White relations are not that great, though they've definitely improved over the years. They are far from perfect but most people will agree with this. Go to the Chicago sub forum - there is a poster who is moving away and wrote his final thoughts. He's always been skeptical of the Black-White relations in Chicago as a Black man himself, but he even agrees it's gotten better, though far from perfect.

Quote:
Yes, there is such a thing as self-segregation. But that's not the case for most of those two places. Whites in Chicago for example just like to stay separate from Black or Latinos (mostly Mexican there right?). Not to say there aren't interracial couples and especially friends in those places. But those exist just about everywhere. Doesn't change the fact that's quite far from a majority case.
Actually, Latino-White relations in Chicago are mostly fine. There are actually many Mexican-Irish marriages in the Chicago area. For whatever reason, Irish guys love Latina and Mexican women. Three of the big hipster enclaves in town right now were and still are big time Hispanic population centers. Another one is near the same boat. There is no violence and not much awkward **** between the two groups.

As far as the Black neighborhood thing goes - it's not that they don't like them. It's the fact that there are many neighborhoods that are heavily black that are not safe. THAT is the deciding factor. However there are safer neighborhoods like Hyde Park that are well integrated between White and Black and have a big population of both.

If you want to see diversity by census tract in Chicago, I made an interactive heat map a few months ago. The greener something is, the more integrated. The redder, the more segregated. if you click on the tract, it will tell you the major racial groups percentages

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...l-8QQ#map:id=4

In the end, Chicago does not have the best race relations, I agree. Most of the worst of it is between Black and White, and Latin/Asian/White relations are fine for the most part. Not sure about Asian-Black, but I think Latin-Black relations are fine unless you're talking about rival gangs meeting. Luckily the Black/White relations have improved over the years but it's still lagging behind NYC and far from perfect. Hopefully it will continue its betterment.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-16-2014 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM

882 posts, read 922,468 times
New York City.

By far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or