Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,199,671 times

Advertisements

LA. LA is not perfect but it has better weather, better beaches, more beautiful, more laid-back, more diverse (as of 2011, according to a CNN poll), less people. Also, it's much cheaper, so you can save money for visiting places (including NYC) on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,199,671 times
LA:

The Entertainment Capital of the World...

Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,002,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Ok, wow...to the two previous posters. Im a damn WOMAN, and I GO to the gym. I also happen to live in WeHo and work in the movie business, ALL of LA worships at the altar of youth and beauty not just WeHo for gods sakes. I have alot of older gay male friends who are leaving LA. I was just sharing MY experiences and those of my gay older friends. Sheesh...way to be A@#holes you two.
Talk about giving people the typical bogus impression of LA. That may be how LA is to you on the a Westside and in the entertainment industry both of which compose maybe 25% max of the the entire city. If the OP is looking to be in that scene with a bunch of pop culture driven sarcastic one liner quipping yuppies straight out of a yuppie faux indie rom com then advising him to live in WeHo is understandable but if the guy is looking for a nice time he should look at the many other areas of town that are far more down to earth.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:26 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,185,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In terms of the lifestyle of 20 year old gays, it can't be all that great in a big city since.

LA is fantastically expensive. So is NY. So these young guys are living with lots of roommates. Unless you're making a certain amount of money, transportation is difficult.
I can't speak for people in my age range (20s) in LA, but I did visit some friends of mine who live in NYC and I would agree with this to an extent.

In order to afford their NYC lifestyle one needed to live in Harlem with multiple roommates, a couple lived in the outer boroughs and would commute into Manhattan to work/go out, and another commuted to work and to go out from a suburb. Only a couple of my friends' friends seemed to have an apartment in the middle of everything, and I later found out that they were able to live where they were because they had won a rent control lottery.

I had a great time visiting my friends, but seeing how some of them lived definitely gave me a new appreciation for my apartment in Boystown back in Chicago.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,002,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I can't speak for people in my age range (20s) in LA, but I did visit some friends of mine who live in NYC and I would agree with this to an extent.

In order to afford their NYC lifestyle one needed to live in Harlem with multiple roommates, a couple lived in the outer boroughs and would commute into Manhattan to work/go out, and another commuted to work and to go out from a suburb. Only a couple of my friends' friends seemed to have an apartment in the middle of everything, and I later found out that they were able to live where they were because they had won a rent control lottery.

I had a great time visiting my friends, but seeing how some of them lived definitely gave me a new appreciation for my apartment in Boystown back in Chicago.
Yeah living in an expensive town made for playboy moguls starts to look desperate when you can't afford the rent.

I thought I was cool in front of all my friends back home for living in LA but they don't see it that way. They think its foolish of me to pass up a nice life in Houston, the home of the 60k millionaire.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 AM

23,433 posts, read 44,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
WRONG! VERY WRONG!
I know, right?
Well, I'm 50 now. Guess I'll give up being gay.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
I like how the OP posted the initial question and hasn't been back. I'd assume based on the responses he isn't going near either city, haha.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 PM

596 posts, read 729,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think your problem is, you have not accepted the fact that being gay, is for the younger people.
Being able to hop from bed to bed, with whoever turns you on is strictly for the younger generation.
It has always been this way, and always will be.
We older gays don't have what it takes to impress others on a purely physical level,and isn't that what gay is all about?
We all reach that point when we no longer are able to attract the hot ones like we could when we were in our twenties.
We go to the same haunts, but the thrill of the hunt is gone, because we don't feel the same any more.
So friend, take it for what it's worth, moving from anywhere when you are 45 or older, is only running from something that will be with you for the rest of your life.
Perhaps it is time for you to move from a predominantly gay area, and look more to an area where the demographics are not so one sided.
It all boils down to accepting who you are, and dealing with it.
No need to leave Los Angeles, just a need to free yourself from the gay community.
I learned many years ago that gay was for the younger generation, and accepted that fact.
You might want to consider the same.
Bob.
Oh dear lord, please tell me you wrote this post in jest. Being gay is for young people and about impressing others on a purely physical level? So, do you not know of any gay people who are over the age of 45? Do you not know of any gay people who actually have committed relationships as opposed to hopping from bed to bed with random hot young people? Do you suggest that every gay person who turns 45 suddenly "decide" that they're no longer gay because it's a young person's game? It's not like a hobby that you give up because you're no longer in top physical condition. Your post reinforces the ridiculous and insulting idea that being gay is all about having sex with multiple partners, and that gay people aren't interested in having meaningful, substantive, monogamous, long lasting relationships. This post is so mind boggling, that I'm somewhat at a loss for words as to how to accurately describe how absurd it is.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,182,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador LP 700-4 View Post
New York is a superior more sophisticated city.

Hahaha! Oh wow!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 4,146 times
Sorry it was so vague, but we are really open to either experience. We are interested in an artistic environment, and naturally that can be found in both locations. The more welcoming climate of LA is a big draw, and we do prefer an urban environment. All of these replies have been very enlightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City