Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 18,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Very hilarious under-appreciation of Chicago!

San Francisco is much more expensive. OP, what would be your household budget for living if you and your wife move to SF? I'm asking because I would highly recommend SF and the Bay Area over Chicago, but only if you can afford it. If you cannot, life will become quite difficult.
Enough to to put food on the table and pay all the bills. The question is which is the less of the 2 evils. I want my kids to grow up in a place with a huge emphasis on acceptance on homosexuality/transgender folk and exposure to minorities and different cultures. I don't feel comfortable surrounding my kids near a bunch of bible thumping, small minded midwest simpletons who would rather watch a stupid football game then a broadway musical or an art gallery etc.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:50 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandProgressive85 View Post
Enough to to put food on the table and pay all the bills. The question is which is the less of the 2 evils. I want my kids to grow up in a place with a huge emphasis on acceptance on homosexuality/transgender folk and exposure to minorities and different cultures. I don't feel comfortable surrounding my kids near a bunch of bible thumping, small minded midwest simpletons who would rather watch a stupid football game then a broadway musical or an art gallery etc.
If the OP wasn't a troll, I would point out that metro Chicago has a very large foreign-born and minority population. Chicago is also widely known by cultural elitists to have a very large theater and restaurant scene, both of which far out-class anything Boston has to offer.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
It seems like the trolls have finally learned how to troll.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
If the OP wasn't a troll, I would point out that metro Chicago has a very large foreign-born and minority population. Chicago is also widely known by cultural elitists to have a very large theater and restaurant scene, both of which far out-class anything Boston has to offer.
And Chicago is regarded as the most segregated city in the United States. You people just aren't ready to accept change and are still way behind the times. Maybe if you small town folk would put more emphasis on diversity I would have less doubts. My yoga instructer had a blast in Chicago, but she told me it's located smack dab in fly over country, and therefore, can't even be put in the same sentance as Boston, Seattle, New York, LA when dicussing the full package of the true progressive, urban American cities. Chicago has a small town feel to it and much less emphasis on important things like white privilege, recycling, and other movements like allowing gays in boyscouts like my fellow east coasters.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago is not the bible belt and is a cultured, sophisticated, urbane and very desirable location for people of all walks of life.

There are some conservative suburban areas I'm sure, but all in all people in general are more open minded about sexuality and Im sure Chicagoland is as well.

Actually I think you should go to Chicago with those low expectations just so you'll be blown away by how wrong you were.
I would agree with this post.

Quote:
And Chicago is regarded as the most segregated city in the United States. You people just aren't ready to accept change and are still way behind the times. Maybe if you small town folk would put more emphasis on diversity I would have less doubts. My yoga instructer had a blast in Chicago, but she told me it's located smack dab in fly over country, and therefore, can't even be put in the same sentance as Boston, Seattle, New York, LA when dicussing the full package of the true progressive, urban American cities. Chicago has a small town feel to it and much less emphasis on important things like white privilege, recycling, and other movements like allowing gays in boyscouts like my fellow east coasters.
If white privilege is really what is important to you, you may want to stay clear of Chicago.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
I would have imagined that someone as evolved and sophisticated as you would be able to spell simple words like sentence, instructor or input. Perhaps you should spend more time reading instead of attending yoga classes and watching Mamma Mia!, which you for some reason seem to consider an intellectually superior form of entertainment.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
An awful lot of worry about gays in the prospective cities. Maybe the OP is closeted, and fears Chicago's BoysTown isn't as big as San Francisco's Castro District.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 03-06-2014 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 06:07 PM

332 posts, read 525,092 times
Surely someone as evolved and sophisticated and knowledgeable and concerned about LGBT issues as the OP would already know that Boystown is the first legally recognized LGBT district in the country. And that House music had its origins in the gay African American community of Chicago.

Oh wait, let me google something for you: https://www.google.com/#q=chicago+lgbt+history&start=0

Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
I would have imagined that someone as evolved and sophisticated as you would be able to spell simple words like sentence, instructor or input. Perhaps you should spend more time reading instead of attending yoga classes and watching Mamma Mia!, which you for some reason seem to consider an intellectually superior form of entertainment.
That's the mentality I'm talking about. While I'm at my yoga class you hicks are drinking beer and watching a stupid football game because you don't have the intellectual ability to appreciate the art of theater or the spiritual healing benefits of yoga. Ask my liberal arts college professor how sophisticated I am after getting an A on my final exam writing a 10 page report on how it's sexist for men to pay for dinner on dates. I understand as a Midwesterner you probably pay for her dinner too. Does your wife do the dishes too? Being a few decades behind and all.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I would agree with this post.

If white privilege is really what is important to you, you may want to stay clear of Chicago.
White privilege is more of a threat to society then terrorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City