Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most appealing as a place to live, work, and play?
Denver, CO 35 26.52%
Minneapolis, MN 42 31.82%
Seattle, WA 55 41.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,856,152 times

Advertisements

The O.P. clearly listed trails, lakes, snow, and cold as priorities. Seattle is a great city, but I don't know why anyone would vote it over Minneapolis based on the criteria.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,814,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
People voting Seattle because it's the most famous of the three basically and they're not reading your post, I'm assuming. Politically, Denver is actually probably the best fit, but Minneapolis wins for everything else you mentioned.
Lol really your saying that Minneapolis has better museums , parks , universities, Seattle has University Of Washington, And North Eastern University just opened a new campus downtown also. Seattle has more world class museums than Minneapolis . Seattle is close to three National Parks has a booming economy. It could be despite no snow in Seattle maybe some people think having a mountain 30 mins away is sufficent. I really dont think people are boosting Seattle Serious everytime a city is not voted best they blame it on boosters .

Old 03-08-2014, 08:30 PM

[quote=Bslette;33799166]The O.P. clearly listed trails, lakes, snow, and cold as priorities. Seattle is a great city, but I don't know why anyone would vote it over Minneapolis based on the criteria.[/qu

Maybe because Seattle has bigger lakes in city and many trails . Seattle has better beaches Alki.the only thing Minneapolis has going for it is the cold weather .

Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 PM

19 posts, read 44,520 times
I read all responses. It seems that both Minneapolis and Seattle are tied with Denver being in the second place.

There are both pros and cons of each city.

Denver

Pros - It suits me politically. Downtown is very vibrant. I can't speak for its museums though.

Cons - Mountains are pretty; however, I didn't see much trees & lakes and the landscape was mostly brown. Even buildings were mostly beige and brown, especially out in suburbs near the airport. I didn't think Denver residents were friendly; no one said hello to me at stores, buses, and even at Mall & 16th St. light rail. The weather is mostly dry with thin air so humidity is very low.

Minneapolis

Pros - I think the city has everything I want except the politics may be a little more left than I am used to. I loved the lakes and Minnehaha Falls and the charming town of Stillwater. People were nice and friendly. MN is also closer to Arkansas for visiting family.

Cons - Winters are very cold but I believe my body will get adjusted to it. I happen to be concerned about "Minnesota Nice." The city is mostly Lutheran and Catholic so I don't know how they feel southern people with Assembly of God faith.

Seattle

Pros - Based on pictures, scenery is stunning with Mt. Rainer nearby and the Puget Sound. The weather is in 60's most of the time with little humidity.

Cons - It's the most expensive of all plus it's extremely liberal. Pacific Northwest has been known to be the least religious region. I have never visited the city so I don't know how people are there. I will have to fly every time to visit my family. Although I do like rain, I am not sure if I can handle constant rain. I have heard of Seattle snobbery like you see in Frasier and "Seattle Freeze."

Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,522,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Lol really your saying that Minneapolis has better museums , parks , universities, Seattle has University Of Washington, And North Eastern University just opened a new campus downtown also. Seattle has more world class museums than Minneapolis . Seattle is close to three National Parks has a booming economy. It could be despite no snow in Seattle maybe some people think having a mountain 30 mins away is sufficent. I really dont think people are boosting Seattle Serious everytime a city is not voted best they blame it on boosters .
UW and the U of M - Twin Cities are, arguably, on the same level. It is hard to objectively tell which one is 'better.' Both cities have have great colleges scattered across the metro. I shouldn't have to provide counterpoints to your opinions. Why don't you show me that Seattle has better museums, with facts.

I love Seattle, but most of the criteria in the OP say Minneapolis.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:58 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,428,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Yes I really am saying that Minneapolis is a better fit and I'm very confident in saying that. I would also say that there is very little Seattle offers that Minneapolis doesn't or can't match in some other way.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
UW and the U of M - Twin Cities are, arguably, on the same level. It is hard to objectively tell which one is 'better.' Both cities have have great colleges scattered across the metro. I shouldn't have to provide counterpoints to your opinions. Why don't you show me that Seattle has better museums, with facts.

I love Seattle, but most of the criteria in the OP say Minneapolis.
Ok Hmm lets see the largest car Museum in the world , One of the largest Air and space Museums in the world, The Bruce Lee family is raising money to open the Bruce lee Action Museum in Seattle . Seattle has the Space Shuttle Trainer . The Seattle Aquarium Is going through a 250 million dollar expansion its going to be one of the largest Aquariums in the world. Seattle has the largest Dale Chihuly glass museum in the world. And the Museum of glass in Tacoma . Paul Allens E.M.P Museum is also in Seattle one of the top pop culture Museums in the world .

Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,906,184 times
If you want snow, probably Minneapolis. For everything else, Seattle. You can't beat the water/hiking element...truly, no comparison. If you like big bodies of water, the Straits of Juan de Fuca will take you right on out to the Pacific Ocean. You can take the Victoria Clipper up to Victoria, and then a ferry up to Vancouver. The fact that Vancouver is only two hours away is a plus, and the Grouse Mountains there, offer a lot of outdoor opportunities, in addition to what the Seattle metro offers.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,167,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
If you want snow, probably Minneapolis. For everything else, Seattle. You can't beat the water/hiking element...truly, no comparison. If you like big bodies of water, the Straits of Juan de Fuca will take you right on out to the Pacific Ocean. You can take the Victoria Clipper up to Victoria, and then a ferry up to Vancouver. The fact that Vancouver is only two hours away is a plus, and the Grouse Mountains there, offer a lot of outdoor opportunities, in addition to what the Seattle metro offers.
I know St. Paul probably can't go head to head with Vancouver city wise, but it is just across the river and its downtown is just ten miles from Minneapolis. The best neighborhoods of St. Paul are very close to Minneapolis (talking Summit/Grand and Cathedral Hill) and have good scenic hiking/walking areas especially during the beautiful autumn season. Vancouver is about 150 miles from Seattle. Unless one leaves early in the morning, a hotel room stay would most likely be needed.

Minneapolis is also just 140 miles from Lake Superior and its beautiful north shore drive that starts at Duluth. essentially our continent's largest "inland sea". It is the world's largest lake. Both Seattle and Minneapolis have great access to water oriented scenery. Don't forget also about the might Mississippi River in Minneapolis.

Denver is a distant third when it comes to being near any significant water scenery.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:08 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,797,012 times
If you are looking for lakes and water than Seattle and Minneapolis are the way better choices, ; if you are looking for some fairly routine sunny, warmer spring like days even in the middle of dead winter..Denver is by far the best option. NO CONTEST. Politically despite some paid GOP bloggers posts on this site used as a sorry attempt to sway the vote in Colorado..Denver is solidly liberal and has been since the late 60's..surrounding suburbs vary. Growing up in Colorado it's no suprise to me it's the first legal rec. weed state..it was always the king 420 , bastion under the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City