Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most culturally unified
San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland) 15 37.50%
Dallas-Fort Worth (Dallas, Fort Worth) 16 40.00%
South Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach) 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Wait, so judging from the poll right now, the Bay Area is the most culturally unified despite most of the posts in here saying that they aren't culturally unified?

I'm confused
Thats a City Data thing. When you add a poll, most people don't do as much as even read the question or criteria before voting for the city they think is "best". People don't read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Have you even been to the Bay Area?
Oakland and San Jose are far more than bi-racial cities, although San Francisco is, for the most part, Asian and white. If OP wanted a list of the least diverse and most racially homogenous cities then it'd be a tie between Miami metro and DFW. This thread is about cultural unification, so while the Bay Area is one of the most diverse regions in the nation its population is very well integrated.
I disagree. Not all that homogeneous.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Well, with Palm Beach County, it wasn't even part of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale metro area until 1997. Palm Beach was it's own micro area. You can still see the diffirences between Palm Beach and Broward/Dade County. Fort Lauderdale and Broward have always been culturally somewhat connected to Miami-Dade County. Til this day, Broward County shares a TV Market with Dade County. Broward County residents get most of their local news channels from Miami stations, and the Miami news stations and The Herald will report crimes that happen in Broward County. West Palm Beach/Palm Beach County has it's own TV Market to this day.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Have you even been to the Bay Area?
Oakland and San Jose are far more than bi-racial cities, although San Francisco is, for the most part, Asian and white. If OP wanted a list of the least diverse and most racially homogenous cities then it'd be a tie between Miami metro and DFW. This thread is about cultural unification, so while the Bay Area is one of the most diverse regions in the nation its population is very well integrated.
Sure have.

My aunt used to live at The Presidio. Her ex-husband was an Army doctor.

I've got friends in San Jose.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, with Palm Beach County, it wasn't even part of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale metro area until 1997. Palm Beach was it's own micro area. You can still see the diffirences between Palm Beach and Broward/Dade County. Fort Lauderdale and Broward have always been culturally somewhat connected to Miami-Dade County. Til this day, Broward County shares a TV Market with Dade County. Broward County residents get most of their local news channels from Miami stations, and the Miami news stations and The Herald will report crimes that happen in Broward County. West Palm Beach/Palm Beach County has it's own TV Market to this day.
Yeah, unlike San Francisco Bay or DFW, South Florida is broken up into two different media markets. That could reflect the fact that SoFla is built up as a long strip of developed land.

I always thought Broward was pretty distinct from Dade County. Even in terms of immigrants, Broward gets more people from the English speaking Caribbean (Jamaica, Trinidad, etc.) than Dade County. Also, Ft. Lauderdale seems to operate on a different sort of speed than anywhere in Dade County.

West Palm Beach obviously is the most distinct. IMO, it feels the most "Florida" place if that makes sense. You could stick West Palm Beach where Daytona Beach is and no one would know the difference.

Quote:
Thats a City Data thing. When you add a poll, most people don't do as much as even read the question or criteria before voting for the city they think is "best". People don't read.
I don't even think there's a normative judgment to be made here. Being more or less culturally unified doesn't make one area better than another IMO

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 03-10-2014 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Yeah, unlike San Francisco Bay or DFW, South Florida is broken up into two different media markets. That could reflect the fact that SoFla is built up as a long strip of developed land.

I always thought Broward was pretty distinct from Dade County. Even in terms of immigrants, Broward gets more people from the English speaking Caribbean (Jamaica, Trinidad, etc.) than Dade County. Also, Ft. Lauderdale seems to operate on a different sort of speed than anywhere in Dade County.

West Palm Beach obviously is the most distinct. IMO, it feels the most "Florida" place if that makes sense. You could stick West Palm Beach where Daytona Beach is and no one would know the difference.

I don't even think there's a normative judgment to be made here. Being more or less culturally unified doesn't make one area better than another IMO
Yep. Broward has a very high English-speaking West Indian population. Now that I think about it, Broward could possibly have the 4th highest number of West Indians in a single county, behind 3 of the 5 boroughs of NYC. As far as Palm Beach feeling like the rest of Florida, I'd have to disagree. Palm Beach County has one of the highest Haitian, and Jamaican populations in the US, along with a large Central American population. While there are parts of Palm Beach County that seem "rednecky" and although Palm Beach does feel diffirent from Broward County, I still think that West Palm Beach would stick out like a sore thumb in North Florida. Unless Daytona Beach received an influx of Haitians recently.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Sure have.

My aunt used to live at The Presidio. Her ex-husband was an Army doctor.

I've got friends in San Jose.
Didn't you say you had been to San Jose once, and only "drove through" San Francisco? I don't believe that counts.

In any case, you don't write like you have much of a grasp of the Bay Area. Your opinions of it are often quite naive and seem based on stereotypes, particularly those that run rampant on CD and AM Radio.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:04 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Hmmm interesting question. I've only lived in one metro area (Bay Area), spent a lot of time in another (SoFla), and "been to" DFW twice (stayed in DT, Uptown, Oak Lawn, and Park cities).

One poster said that the Bay Area's cultural unity stems from acceptance of the major differences between the different areas. I get that sense, too. I see major major differences between each little area of the Bay, not one being like another, however, I have a strong sense that all of us Bay Area residents are "in it together". Even as far south as Santa Cruz (thinking back to when those two cops were shot down there and the whole Bay Area mourned).

I feel like there are less blatant differences between Dade and Palm Beach counties, and people in SoFla probably think much less about the differences, however, I don't think people in Dade give two ****s about PBC and vice versa. Sometimes they'll travel up to party or visit a friend, or probably more often vice versa (travel down to Broward or Miami). But I never got a sense that there is a single South Florida world like I get the sense that we all share a common bond here in the Bay Area.

Don't know much about DFW, though I've heard the two cities hate each other and that the west truly starts in FW.

FWIW, the Bay Area "shares" sports teams in all 3 major sections. The Niners after all will be playing in SJ next season. The Bay Area also has better transit connections, shares a TV market, and has LA to hate on (as another poster said, only DFW and Bay Area/NorCal have state rivalries, though Orlando is becoming something of a rival sibling to Miami, much less so than HOuston vs Dallas or SF vs LA).

Old 07-08-2018, 02:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
I would argue DFW. I haven't been to the Bay Area but San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose are well known as distinct cities with different identities to most Americans. San Francisco alone is a unique incomparable city, along the lines of New Orleans or DC.

I have lived in DFW and Miami area and DFW feels more culturally connected. I mean, you got Dallas and you got Fort Worth. And then you got the suburbs which mostly feel similar. Miami would be in the same category had it not been for demographic segregation with Miami being overwhelmingly Hispanic compared to cities north of it. Also you can tell what part of Miami you are in a lot of times, like Coral Gables has a different vibe from Hialeah which is different from Miami Beach. The Kendall and Doral area feel a little indistinct to me, though.

With DFW, Garland didn't feel much different than Frisco or Arlington to me. Denton feels distinct cuz its slightly more remote and a college town.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I would argue DFW. I haven't been to the Bay Area but San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose are well known as distinct cities with different identities to most Americans. San Francisco alone is a unique incomparable city, along the lines of New Orleans or DC.

I have lived in DFW and Miami area and DFW feels more culturally connected. I mean, you got Dallas and you got Fort Worth. And then you got the suburbs which mostly feel similar. Miami would be in the same category had it not been for demographic segregation with Miami being overwhelmingly Hispanic compared to cities north of it. Also you can tell what part of Miami you are in a lot of times, like Coral Gables has a different vibe from Hialeah which is different from Miami Beach. The Kendall and Doral area feel a little indistinct to me, though.

With DFW, Garland didn't feel much different than Frisco or Arlington to me. Denton feels distinct cuz its slightly more remote and a college town.
I can't speak well for the other cities, but yeah the DFW suburbs just seem like one giant strip mall/parking lot. It just blends well together. You sometimes don't know which burb you're in, to me Denton was just another stop off the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City