Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most culturally unified
San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland) 15 37.50%
Dallas-Fort Worth (Dallas, Fort Worth) 16 40.00%
South Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach) 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,591,792 times

Advertisements

Each of these areas has more than one major city in the area that has some national recognition

San Francisco Bay
San Francisco
Oakland
San Jose

Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
Dallas
Fort Worth

South Florida
Miami
Ft. Lauderdale
West Palm Beach

Each major city in the area has a flavor of its own, but still is part of a greater region.

Which one of these three regions is the most connected to each other as a distinct cultural entity? To an extent, each area can be broken up into distinct regions, but which one of the three acts most like a singular entity?

I'd say Dallas-Fort Worth. Even though Dallas and Fort Worth have relatively distinct histories, with FW being known more for its cattle-driving nature and Dallas being the railroad logistic center of the area, the area connecting the two seem to be relatively uniform. However, this isn't to say that Dallas and Fort Worth aren't distinct.

Miami seems a world away from Fort Lauderdale, which is vastly different than West Palm Beach. On a spectrum, West Palm Beach would be the most Anglo-American out of the three, with a sliding scale of being more and more Caribbean/South American oriented the more south you go until you hit Miami.

San Francisco Bay seems to be, IMO between the two. While SF/OAK/SJ are all different in the way they are built, with SF being the urban city, SJ the suburban city, and OAK somewhere in between, the difference in cultures does not seem to be as stark as South Florida, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 29,868 times
Dfw hands down

Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,284,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Each of these areas has more than one major city in the area that has some national recognition

San Francisco Bay
San Francisco
Oakland
San Jose

Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
Dallas
Fort Worth

South Florida
Miami
Ft. Lauderdale
West Palm Beach

Each major city in the area has a flavor of its own, but still is part of a greater region.

Which one of these three regions is the most connected to each other as a distinct cultural entity? To an extent, each area can be broken up into distinct regions, but which one of the three acts most like a singular entity?

I'd say Dallas-Fort Worth. Even though Dallas and Fort Worth have relatively distinct histories, with FW being known more for its cattle-driving nature and Dallas being the railroad logistic center of the area, the area connecting the two seem to be relatively uniform. However, this isn't to say that Dallas and Fort Worth aren't distinct.

Miami seems a world away from Fort Lauderdale, which is vastly different than West Palm Beach. On a spectrum, West Palm Beach would be the most Anglo-American out of the three, with a sliding scale of being more and more Caribbean/South American oriented the more south you go until you hit Miami.

San Francisco Bay seems to be, IMO between the two. While SF/OAK/SJ are all different in the way they are built, with SF being the urban city, SJ the suburban city, and OAK somewhere in between, the difference in cultures does not seem to be as stark as South Florida, IMO.
It's an interesting question re: the Bay Area. I will say the culture in places like Palo Alto and Mountain (i.e. the nicer parts of Silicon Valley) is quite different than, say, Concord or Pleasant Hill (i.e. WASP-y suburban land). Even the culture between SF and Oakland is quite different. The Bay Area is definitely a cohesive urban area, but culturally is actually quite diverse..

Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,897,782 times
I would say it's a tie between the Miami metro and DFW area.

The Bay Area is far less unified IMHO when comes to culture. San Jose is nothing like San Francisco or Oakland and even has a difference in climate. Micro-climates and the difference between architect in the Bay Area cities makes each area feel different more different than any other metro IMO. I'm not saying the other metros don't have differences but the Bay Area seems more define in my personal experience.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong DFW residents, but I feel that the major split in the area is between the Dallas and Fort Worth city propers vs. the newer suburban areas.

South Florida is more or less an area defined by a continuum. IMO, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale and Miami are all pretty different. Heck, even taking Dade County, there's a world of difference between Brickell and Miami Beach to a place like Hialeah culturally.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,284,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
It's an interesting question re: the Bay Area. I will say the culture in places like Palo Alto and Mountain (i.e. the nicer parts of Silicon Valley) is quite different than, say, Concord or Pleasant Hill (i.e. WASP-y suburban land). Even the culture between SF and Oakland is quite different. The Bay Area is definitely a cohesive urban area, but culturally is actually quite diverse..
And the socio-economic diversity is really high (lots of very rich and very poor), which obviously creates very different cultures

Old 03-09-2014, 09:12 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,082,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I would say it's a tie between the Miami metro and DFW area.

The Bay Area is far less unified IMHO when comes to culture. San Jose is nothing like San Francisco or Oakland and even has a difference in climate. Micro-climates and the difference between architect in the Bay Area cities makes each area feel different more different than any other metro IMO. I'm not saying the other metros don't have differences but the Bay Area seems more define in my personal experience.
Right. From what I understand, North Cali is the land micro-climates along with micro-cultures. I know very little about South Florida, so I voted for DFW. I grew up not far from the area and its so similar that most people think its pretty much one city, hence the "DFW" moniker.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,886,339 times
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong DFW residents, but I feel that the major split in the area is between the Dallas and Fort Worth city propers vs. the newer suburban areas.
Dallas and Fort Worth has a bit of a split between each other because of history and all. Arlington is a Tarrant County suburb, but claims Dallas when it's best convenient for them. The rest of the suburbs are just... there.

But out of those areas, yeah, I'd say we're the most "culturally unified".

Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 PM

I do see lots of Bay Area and DFW Metroplex common identifiers in real life, but not that many for South Florida. Miami seems to be a world away from Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, though I hear the common moniker "SoFla" pretty often.

Interestingly, in the cases of Bay Area and DFW, they both have an in-state rival to identify against. SoFla, not so much. Central Florida (Tampa and Orlando) aren't enough of a unified entity to go against at this juncture.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,135,849 times
Quote:
Miami doesn't seem like a world away from Ft Lauderdale but it does seem like a world away from West Palm Beach. Ft Lauderdale also is much more connected to Miami than it is to West Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City