Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Sophisticated City in the South
Atlanta 98 25.32%
Charlotte 15 3.88%
Dallas 69 17.83%
Hampton Roads 6 1.55%
Houston 66 17.05%
Miami 40 10.34%
Nashville 19 4.91%
New Orleans 22 5.68%
The Research Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) 27 6.98%
Other 25 6.46%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:39 PM

63 posts, read 75,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, you made this ridiculous claim: "Atlanta's airport sees so much traffic because it is in a good spot to receive traffic, not because people are flying to go to the Atlanta metro. They're just passing through..."

Pure BS. Now, again - Atlanta's annual O&D numbers are around 35 million a year. Period.

It is on you to prove that number wrong. And yet again, you can't.
So what if it is even 1000 million. Whats your point. You actually proved my point when you brought up O&D numbers because that's a good metric to go by that shows that Atlanta's O&D numbers are much lower than they should be for the largest airport in the world. I linked a thread that shows numerous sources that say the same thing. Take a look.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/aviat...arkets-us.html

And i'm pretty sure it falls on the person making claims to prove them. Why would i have to prove you wrong even if Atlanta having 35 million O&D's a year mattered. Which it doesn't because like i "proved" it only matters what that 35 million compared to other metro areas. Not to mention the fact that number is so disproportionately low considering Atlanta is the largest airport in the world.

Now can we get back to the topic of the thread please of the most sophisticated city in the south which i'm guessing you are going to say Atlanta i'm hoping so i can "prove" you wrong.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer212 View Post
So what if it is even 1000 million. Whats your point. You actually proved my point when you brought up O&D numbers because that's a good metric to go by that shows that Atlanta's O&D numbers are much lower than they should be for the largest airport in the world. I linked a thread that shows numerous sources that say the same thing. Take a look.

And i'm pretty sure it falls on the person making claims to prove them. Why would i have to prove you wrong even if Atlanta having 35 million O&D's a year mattered. Which it doesn't because like i "proved" it only matters what that 35 million compared to other metro areas. Not to mention the fact that number is so disproportionately low considering Atlanta is the largest airport in the world.

Now can we get back to the topic of the thread please of the most sophisticated city in the south which i'm guessing you are going to say Atlanta i'm hoping so i can "prove" you wrong.
What a pathetic attempt at back-pedaling with a bunch of gibberish. You clearly don't understand the figures you're linking. I also stand by my claim that you are threatened by Atlanta, as you were compelled to join the site just to start this garbage.

Again, you stated this: "Atlanta's airport sees so much traffic because it is in a good spot to receive traffic, not because people are flying to go to the Atlanta metro. They're just passing through.."

It's a beyond delusional claim, and I gave you our O&D number. Prove it wrong, or shut up.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:05 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Alphabetical order: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:36 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:
I actually signed up just to reply to this message. You say Miami metros economy is nowhere near the power of Atlanta's but i'm not sure my which metric you are talking about. Miami's GDP was 299 billion in 2014 and Atlanta's was 324 billion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP

I hardly consider that "nowhere near the power of atlanta's". Also that doesn't even take into account all the wealthy retirees and international people and tourists whose money doesn't even factor into the GDP. This plus many other factors including density and brand image i would say Atlanta is nowhere near the power of Miami. I have lived in both cities and Atlanta doesn't even come close to the amount of wealth floating around Miami's metro, especially when you factor in the people who do not count toward the GDP since they have huge savings accounts or are tourists with vast wealth. It really doesn't compare.

And to the point about airports.. The Miami area has 3 large airports that if you were to add them up they would surpass both Houston and Dallas. Atlanta's airport sees so much traffic because it is in a good spot to receive traffic, not because people are flying to goto the Atlanta metro. They're just passing through..
Buh-loney.You don't have any facts to back up any of that but I do.
Miami median income is lower than all these cities.In fact its among the lowest of any major netro in the country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highes..._United_States

Not to mention the poverty rate is much higher in Miami due to the low paying service sector

Please tell me how over 100 million people fly into Atlanta,yet around 50 million visited the city if things were the way you say?
Atlanta is not a tourist mecca like Miami but it has a tourist economy that mini cities would love have.
It so ridiculous how Atlanta can have so many tourist attractions that get so many people and some of you still try ti insist like NO one comes to Atlanta for any reason accept to go through the airport.So dumb.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:52 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:

It can be either of these but not Miami.Not with a high poverty rate of 30% and and a lower educational attainment.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:51 PM

63 posts, read 75,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Buh-loney.You don't have any facts to back up any of that but I do.
Miami median income is lower than all these cities.In fact its among the lowest of any major netro in the country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highes..._United_States

Not to mention the poverty rate is much higher in Miami due to the low paying service sector

Please tell me how over 100 million people fly into Atlanta,yet around 50 million visited the city if things were the way you say?
Atlanta is not a tourist mecca like Miami but it has a tourist economy that mini cities would love have.
It so ridiculous how Atlanta can have so many tourist attractions that get so many people and some of you still try ti insist like NO one comes to Atlanta for any reason accept to go through the airport.So dumb.
That link does not put the Palm Beach County area into the same stats as the Miami area. Palm Beach County is the richest county in Florida that has a high population, of 1.3 million. The poverty rate you give is for only the city of Miami, which is a city of 400k in a metro of over 6 million people. I'm pretty sure it is widely known that the Miami metro area as a whole has a whole lot more wealth than the Atlanta metro. Ask anyone who they think has more total wealth. Just Palm Beach County and Broward County alone probably has more wealth then all of the Atlanta metro. I would say bank accounts are a major factor, that alone has to put it over the top.

This link shows South Florida has 3 out of 10 of the highest private jet routes in the entire WORLD. Taking ranks 2, 4, and 10. That's the whole world were talking about so having a pretty small population compared to many cities around the world has to say something..

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-m...e-world-2015-3

The next link is The Wealth Report 2016 by Knight Frank. If you look through it you can see the South Florida is constantly ranked at the top of most of the lists. It ranks higher than the LA metro in most of the lists also. So being the same population of Atlanta its pretty much not even a contest.

https://kfcontent.blob.core.windows....-2016-3579.pdf

It widely known as a playground for the rich. I've never heard the same thing about Atlanta except for maybe rappers and well off black people that thrive there. You have to factor in not only income but the wealth that retirees and tourists bring in their savings accounts that doesn't even count in these lists. The GDP of the Miami metro area in 2014 was 299 billion and Atlanta was 324 billion. They are around the same population so its only common sense that the Miami area has far more wealth than the Atlanta area. Imagine how many snowbirds and retirees have massive bank accounts not to mention all the tourists from around the world that have vast wealth also. The Miami area blows Atlanta out of the water when in comes to tourists. You don't think any of these things should count toward the overall wealth of Miami?? Just driving around you can see it just in the cars people drive compared to Atlanta. It really is a totally different world.

I have lived in Atlanta for over 3 years before in Sandy Springs. My mom and a lot of her family lives there. I have been there over 10 times in the past few years. It really is no comparison when talking about wealth.

I will provide links to all that i am saying in time but here is one to start you off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tricts_by_city

Notice that Miami metro has 15 and Atlanta Metro has 5. That just shows how much money there is. If you look at the LA metro it doesn't even have as many as South Florida with a population almost 3 times as much.

I would go out on a limb and say that Atlanta has the least amount of O&D airport numbers for having such a high passenger count out of any airport in the world. Ill post some links for you if this is really not enough.

Last edited by pointer212; 09-05-2016 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Good grief. Yet another thread has been ruined by the same inane Atlanta-DFW-Houston-Miami arguments. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City