Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta (ITP) vs Oakland
Atlanta(ITP) 18 56.25%
Oakland 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times

Advertisements

Oakland by far.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Oakland by far.
We would expect no less from. You are as dependable as an atomic clock.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:09 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Here is a list of places I've eaten/been to in Atlanta just in the last 3 years, not a complete list ... Yes Oakland is better, sorry.

porter
antico
ormsby's
star provisions (stuff to go)
takorea
joy cafe
octane coffee
dr bombay coffee
grant park coffee
goldberg's
west egg
sevanada (stuff to go)
savage pizza
fellinis pizza
buford international market (sushi + korean)
farmburger
dba bbq
canton cooks
mike's hot dogs
hankook
apres diem
home grown
mary mac's
neighbors
fogo de chao
the earl
dark horse
sway
fat matt's
fox brothers
grind house
ria's bluebird
diesel
heirloom market
the highlander
pho dai loi
the village corner
little 5 corner tavern
home grown
So you say.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,365 times
I don't see why Hartsfield airport being so far from downtown Atlanta is a problem. If you look at most U.S. cities, the international airport is build several miles from the central area. So why is that a minus for Atlanta?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:16 PM

639 posts, read 821,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I don't see why Hartsfield airport being so far from downtown Atlanta is a problem. If you look at most U.S. cities, the international airport is build several miles from the central area. So why is that a minus for Atlanta?
This is true because every airport I have been too New Orleans, San Antonio, D.C., Baltimore, Atlanta have all been a good ways from the core of the city.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
I don't think anyone ever said it was a problem. Someone said that they love how they can drive to a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
huge airport which allows me to fly clear over Oakland and land in San Francisco for a vacation whenever I'd like.
Then there was an airport discussion. In the airport discussion, convenience was brought up. Hartsfield is far away from all of the places in the Atlanta area you would want to live, which is nice for daily living/noise/pollution, though it's not a hassle free short car trip unless you get lucky and hit no traffic (I used to take MARTA there which is a plus, though BART hits both Oakland's and SFO). Oakland's airport is away from residential areas since it's on the waterfront, but is much more convenient to residents of that city than most airports are to any city. SFO is as far from Oakland as Hartsfield is from Atlanta, even though Hartsfield is technically ITP. Goes to show the geography difference we're talking here and the way routes are set up.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So you say.
yes I say, people actually travel. Do you want me to post pics? I will post a whole documentary on that city so everybody can see how fickle the Atlanta boosters are. - your favorite poster, as you call me, "crapico"

stop being defensive over precious atlanta.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,774 times
I would pick Oakland as a place to live - hey, it's near S.F. and the Pacific coast. But Atlanta wins most of the categories.

Not sure how this thread became focused on food

Old 03-14-2014, 04:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
I'm not so sure why everyone thinks Atlanta's economy is so much better, though, either.

Using BLS's statistics, the Oakland-Hayward-Fremont (1.3 million person civilian labor force) area had a 6.3% unemployment rate as of Dec-13 while the Atlanta metro (2.7 million person civilian labor force) had a 6.8% unemployment rate.

Oakland city limits itself has 1 F500 company (Clorox) while surrounding suburbs have 4 more (Chevron, Synntex, Safeway, and ROSS Stores). Additionally, for young innovators and folks looking for interesting companies to work for, the following names we all know are from Oakland and immediate area (i.e. Berkeley, Emeryille, Alameda, Hayward).

JanSport
The North Face

Kaiser Permanente

Logitech

Pandora
Pixar

Annie's Homegrown
Clif Bar
Dreyer's Ice Cream
Ghirardelli Chocolates (based in San Leandro even though the famous Ghirardelli Square tourist trap/shopping place is in SF)
Haagen Dazs
Jamba Juice
Otis Spunkmeyer
Peet's Coffee
PowerBar

Ask.com
MobiTV

Cost Plus World Market

I know Atlanta has more F500 companies HQ'd there (let's not even bring the rest of the Bay Area in to Oakland's F500 discussion because then Atlanta becomes totally irrelevant, LoL), however, lots of those F500 companies are based in the metro area suburbs. I count 5 F500 companies actually HQ'd ITP, and that includes 2 Coca Cola companies and Delta, which is based down at Hartsfield on the edge of the perimeter.

Atlanta city has more people with bachelor's degrees than Oakland (46% to 38%), however, having lived there you really need that degree if you want to have a job and be happy there. Oakland seems like it has a ton of opportunity for those without college degrees. Also, we're comparing the urban center of a 6 million person metro and the economic hub of an entire region of the country to a troubled 3rd tier city 4th tier job center in a single metro area, and yet Oakland's doing just fine on the economic front.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You guys aren't reading correctly he said they had better SOUTHERN food than Atlanta, not better food scenes. Nobody is talking about pizza and sandwiches either when we are talking about food scenes. We are talking about restaurants in general. Not sure why you would think Oakland excels at pizza though?
LMAO...Comprehension is key buddy.....I never said anything about Oakland and pizza....perhaps you may want to think a little deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City