Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Yeah, I think some of the lines on the Transport Politic map may be a little further out than 10 years, but they all seem to be on the drawing board.

Think about it: In 2 years the Expo Phase 2 and Gold Line extensions will be complete. They will be working on the Purple Line, the Downtown Connector, and the Crenshaw Line (hopefully along with the People Mover to the airport). What will the begin to work on in the next 2-3 years?

It seems like the 405 corridor is gaining traction as the next major project simply because the Sepulveda Pass is pretty much a catastrophe (and no I don't think 1 carpool lane is going to help). It may be public/private partnership, which will help expedite construction. I also think the Santa Ana branch and Eastside Gold line extension may get expedited, with or without another tax vote. In my ideal world the extension of the Crenshaw Line up to the Purple Line at La Brea/Fairfax/or La Cienega would move to the top of the list.
Being able to get from LAX to the Miracle Mile in once seat and the Westside and DTLA with just one transfer (which is what that Crenshaw extension would do) would be a complete game changed in the way visitors perceive LA.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:29 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Being able to get from LAX to the Miracle Mile in once seat and the Westside and DTLA with just one transfer (which is what that Crenshaw extension would do) would be a complete game changed in the way visitors perceive LA.
Well they'll be able to get to the Westside and Downtown with one transfer even with phase 1 (by connecting to Expo). But yeah, bringing it up to Wilshire (and then, crossing fingers) all the way up to WeHo & Hollywood would be tremendous.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Well they'll be able to get to the Westside and Downtown with one transfer even with phase 1 (by connecting to Expo). But yeah, bringing it up to Wilshire (and then, crossing fingers) all the way up to WeHo & Hollywood would be tremendous.
Yeah I guess I was thinking more Westwood / Century City / Beverly Hills when I said Westside. But you are right, Santa Monica, Culver City, West LA are all within one transfer, and DTLA definitely is. I wonder what will end up being faster, taking the Crenshaw Line further north to the Purple Line into DTLA or taking a short trip on the Crenshaw to the Expo into DTLA. I would think the former because it will be more underground routing and less at-grade.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM

30 posts, read 32,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
20 years is way too far out. I have 15-20 years of experience in the transportation industry and 10 years is about as far out as you can go with any real accuracy. Most projects beyond that are pipe dreams and lots of "studies".

Having said that, here in the Baltimore/DC area, there is a good chance that two large scale light rail lines will be built and open within the next 10 years, maybe even as soon as six years.

Purple line which is a suburb to suburb line in DC. And the Red line which is an east/west line through the center of Baltimore.

Of course this is in addition to the extension of the heavy rail Silver Line from DC to beyond Dulles Airport and many other BRT and Streetcar lines that should open in the region within the next ten years.

Maryland Light Rail Projects

Virginia Metro Extension (Silver Line)

This will be D.C.'s transit map by 2024. These are not proposals, they're being implemented currently:

Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
20 years is way too far out. I have 15-20 years of experience in the transportation industry and 10 years is about as far out as you can go with any real accuracy. Most projects beyond that are pipe dreams and lots of "studies".

Having said that, here in the Baltimore/DC area, there is a good chance that two large scale light rail lines will be built and open within the next 10 years, maybe even as soon as six years.

Purple line which is a suburb to suburb line in DC. And the Red line which is an east/west line through the center of Baltimore.

Of course this is in addition to the extension of the heavy rail Silver Line from DC to beyond Dulles Airport and many other BRT and Streetcar lines that should open in the region within the next ten years.

Maryland Light Rail Projects

Virginia Metro Extension (Silver Line)

D.C.'s (Montgomery Counties) Gold Standard BRT Transit System and Map by 2024. It will be the largest BRT system in America and the only Gold Standard System in America at 105 mile's:

- 3 Minute Peak Headways
- Dedicated Lanes for 95% of the System
- Offboard Fare Collection
- BRT Transit Station's

Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
BRT is bus, this thread is about rail.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I wonder what will end up being faster, taking the Crenshaw Line further north to the Purple Line into DTLA or taking a short trip on the Crenshaw to the Expo into DTLA. I would think the former because it will be more underground routing and less at-grade.
Probably Expo line will be fastest to downtown from the airport, because even with Expo's (slow) street running near downtown, the Crenshaw extension will likely jog to the West (away from downtown) if it ends up meeting the Purple line at La Cienega or Fairfax.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
BRT is bus, this thread is about rail.

I thought the OP said rail and Gold Standard BRT. Montgomery County is building the only Gold Standard System in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This should be a fun thread that hasn't been done on here before I think. It seems like we're entering into the golden age for transit expansion plans with new cities without transit and cities with transit all trying to improve their networks or build brand new networks to improve transportation across the nation. It seems like every city is trying to build some form of rail or bus rapid transit to move people in a faster more efficient way as density increases in cities across the nation.

Please rank each CSA's expansion plans over the next 20 years based on the following:

Heavy Rail Train Expansion plans: 5 points X miles

Light Rail Train Expansion plans: 3 points X miles

Commuter Rail Train Expansion plans: 1 point X miles

Streetcar Expansion Plans: 1 point X miles

Gold Standard Bus Rapid Transit Expansion plans: 1 point X miles
(**Example of Gold Standard Bus Rapid Transit = The US has only 5 true BRT systems, and none are "gold" - Greater Greater Washington **)

Here is an example:

(fictional) Rappahannock City Light Rail Line: 23 mile's

23 miles X 3 points (for light rail) = 69

Total Points: 69 points

I was thinking this would give us a better idea of which CSA region's actually have the most things in the pipeline. I hope it's not too complicated. Enjoy and have some fun with it. I will try to keep a running tally based on points. Let the games begin!

If you don't feel like doing the math, just post the plans and mile's and I will do it for you as I update the rank for the CSA's across the nation.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:17 PM

The Penn Line in MD has weekend service to Baltimore now.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:20 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitAdvocate View Post
I thought the OP said rail and Gold Standard BRT. Montgomery County is building the only Gold Standard System in America.
Oh so in other words, the OP postured the thread to favor DC as much as possible? Haha surprise surprise:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City