Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are more similar
LA/SD 33 21.71%
Portland/Seattle 86 56.58%
Neither 33 21.71%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,207,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
But in the end, money and power talks, like anywhere else, so the Chicano bangers, immigrant dishwashers and black project-dwellers are not going to matter much to the city's "identity".
Talk like that equals "Coastal Snob". White San Franciscans would never speak those words in mixed company, or put them in print.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,976,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
NYC and inferiority complex in the same sentence in regards to SF. . . LOL
From the article Montclair posted:
You're too kind Stue linking me to the article and all. Can I call you Stu? I think I will call you Stu.

I disagree with Mont's article. I am from near NYC so I know the state and I don't want SF Bay Area to be anything like NYC. I want us to be better than NYC at everything New Yorkers care about. Because we are better, we are blessed with weather, scenery, culture, and location and if there was anything we ever lacked to NYC it was power and money but now we're the richest and most powerful economy in the free world. Sink into that for a moment Stu, say it out loud, let the whole Brooklyn villa you live in hear you son. An economy more dynamic than even China! Get your Caribbean dancers and throw some parades in the Brooklyn streets sonny.

You don't even have us beat in sports anymore. I want to be the one to remind them that it is SF Bay Area's Giants that won 2 of the last 5, the Warriors dredge a schrew into your Brooklyn and Knickerbocker hearts, the 49ers have a bullet proof future and the NYG go the wayside, the Sharks and Earthquakes compete for a championship every year, and the A's are the new kids on the block. NYC's sports history is just history just like Wall Streets going to be when all the brain, power, and money leaves it for SV.

Its ok Stu, NYC and San Francisco will see each other on more dinner dates. NYC wont be paying or picking the location anymore, San Francisco can afford any tab in the world and San Franciscans have a better gauge at top quality.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,442,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
You're too kind Stue linking me to the article and all. Can I call you Stu? I think I will call you Stu.

I disagree with Mont's article. I am from near NYC so I know the state and I don't want SF Bay Area to be anything like NYC. I want us to be better than NYC at everything New Yorkers care about. Because we are better, we are blessed with weather, scenery, culture, and location and if there was anything we ever lacked to NYC it was power and money but now we're the richest and most powerful economy in the free world. Sink into that for a moment Stu, say it out loud, let the whole Brooklyn villa you live in hear you son. An economy more dynamic than even China! Get your Caribbean dancers and throw some parades in the Brooklyn streets sonny.

You don't even have us beat in sports anymore. I want to be the one to remind them that it is SF Bay Area's Giants that won 2 of the last 5, the Warriors dredge a schrew into your Brooklyn and Knickerbocker hearts, the 49ers have a bullet proof future and the NYG go the wayside, the Sharks and Earthquakes compete for a championship every year, and the A's are the new kids on the block. NYC's sports history is just history just like Wall Streets going to be when all the brain, power, and money leaves it for SV.

Its ok Stu, NYC and San Francisco will see each other on more dinner dates. NYC wont be paying or picking the location anymore, San Francisco can afford any tab in the world and San Franciscans have a better gauge at top quality.
I honestly wish you could've heard how loud I just laughed at this. Seriously, I don't think I've ever laughed and cried at the same time so much from any post on here. You just made history. Lol good one.

Let me know when San Francisco, Oakland OR San Jose surpasses Los Angeles in at least population (lol). Until then no one will take you serious when talking about cities as separate entities. Hence City vs City not Metro Area. Save your ". . .but we have about the same population", for someone who's interested.

Oh and it's funny you mention sports. Maybe you should check the NBA store. Under popular NBA snapbacks Brooklyn is second only to the Heat and the Knicks are also apart of the top ten, and I'm sure we sell more apparel and merchandise. I don't see your Bay Area team though. But you guys are popular. . . . right? lolz. Furthermore, the Brooklyn Nets (and the Knicks, who I don't really care for) are more valuable than your team. We also beat your little Warriors here in Brooklyn. Maybe you missed that but it was a win for us. Also when your Giants (ironic that you guys started in NEW YORK? LOL) win at least as many as your hometown team in Boston, then people will start to notice. Until then you can't sit with us. And P.S: the Yankees are worth over $2 Billion, meanwhile your Little Giants.. . . 700. . . Million. Again, cute.

But if it's any consolation (and on topic with the thread) I actually think San Francisco was pretty cool when I went last month. In comparison to L.A. it reminded me of the East but it was still distinctly West Coast. The hills were beautiful and the scenery was really nice. I could definitely see myself living there for a few months to a year, eventually.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:06 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,866,673 times
SF is more similar to Baltimore/Cincinnati/St. Louis in appearance and architecture than any of the cities listed.

LA doesn't have the consistent uninterrupted street-wall that SF has. LA is detached apartments with more Mediterranean (and ugly dingbat) stucco apartments. That, and ALOT more detached single family bungalows with back and front yards. Appearance wise, not really like SF.

San Diego is a less dense, more suburban LA.

Seattle has dense Craftsman architecture along rolling hills. However, both Seattle and SF experienced a great fire around the same time. Whereas SF continued to construct row houses, Seattle opted for detached houses for safety reasons (that being said, houses in Seattle are detached by about just a little more than a foot). SF has Victorian architecture whereas Seattle has mostly Craftsman and Queen Anne. Seattle has more front yards with lush vegetation whereas SF is denser by not including front yards. Appearance wise, they are similar in that they're both dense and built on steep hills. They differ in that Seattle has lush front yards whereas SF is denser with no yards and most concrete.

Portland is like a more rural Seattle.

So all in all, SF is more like Seattle but with no front yards and houses aren't detached. Climate wise, it's a pretty equal balance between LA and Portland.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I honestly wish you could've heard how loud I just laughed at this. Seriously, I don't think I've ever laughed and cried at the same time so much from any post on here. You just made history. Lol good one.
Redo it and record it on video and upload on Youtube for me. Then link me to it. Please?
Quote:
Let me know when San Francisco, Oakland OR San Jose surpasses Los Angeles in at least population (lol). Until then no one will take you serious when talking about cities as separate entities. Hence City vs City not Metro Area. Save your ". . .but we have about the same population", for someone who's interested.
LOL let me know when Brooklyn becomes a city in the top 10 population. San Jose is and San Francisco is 12th. Sorry mate, SF Bay Area's reverence for unique identities of SF, SJ, and Oakland operate their own is priceless. Brooklyn was annexed in as a Manhattan bedroom, a stepping stool for bigger and better things if you will. Oakland and San Jose are self respecting cities.
Quote:
Oh and it's funny you mention sports. Maybe you should check the NBA store. Under popular NBA snapbacks Brooklyn is second only to the Heat and the Knicks are also apart of the top ten, and I'm sure we sell more apparel and merchandise. I don't see your Bay Area team though. But you guys are popular. . . . right? lolz. Furthermore, the Brooklyn Nets (and the Knicks, who I don't really care for) are more valuable than your team. We also beat your little Warriors here in Brooklyn. Maybe you missed that but it was a win for us. Also when your Giants (ironic that you guys started in NEW YORK? LOL) win at least as many as your hometown team in Boston, then people will start to notice. Until then you can't sit with us. And P.S: the Yankees are worth over $2 Billion, meanwhile your Little Giants.. . . 700. . . Million. Again, cute.
Stu, none of your teams have anything we want. Why would we want a declining Eli Manning? John Conner and Kris Adams? Pffft. You wish you were the 49ers, our success today is exciting. LOL Nets and Knicks are inferior teams, they're floormats for the Pacers and Heat. LOL dont go there with the Islanders and Devils...

We took the Giants from you just like we're taking Wall Street and your dignity away from you. Your city is relieved of its financial duties those belong to SF Bay Area. We turned the Giants into winners, RECENT WINNERS mind you. Just like former WS execs will turn into winners on their new VC philanthropies out in the wild west than in NYC.
Quote:
But if it's any consolation (and on topic with the thread) I actually think San Francisco was pretty cool when I went last month. In comparison to L.A. it reminded me of the East but it was still distinctly West Coast. The hills were beautiful and the scenery was really nice. I could definitely see myself living there for a few months to a year, eventually.
NYC is the 2nd best city in the world (Paris #1!). Shocked that I'm saying this? I'm not delusional. NYC will always be the city folks go to have fun and its an urban paradise IMO.

You're not richer than us and you're economy is lackluster compared to the most impressive economy in the free world. We are owners here in the SF Bay Area, we own things. NYC is one of those things now.

Own it, lick your wounds, and carry on

Old 03-16-2014, 05:59 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,591,283 times
The majority of people, obviously don't take the time to read the OP.

Vibe and Day to Day Culture, are the determining factors here. Not density, population, economy or fortune 500 rich people statistics.

As I said earlier, Portland and Seattle lack the diverse vibe/culture of SF. LA and San Diego are much closer in this respect.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM

18,970 posts, read 32,501,967 times
Quote:
We turned the Giants into winners, RECENT WINNERS mind you.
Yeah and it only took a half century to do so lol. The Giants were much more successful team in NYC lol.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah and it only took a half century to do so lol. The Giants were much more successful team in NYC lol.
True but we were winners nonetheless. Our recent sports history has been great sans the Raiders.

I can see the Warriors winning one, just wish the Sharks could win one. ;(

Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,442,692 times
Quote:
Redo it and record it on video and upload on Youtube for me. Then link me to it. Please?

LOL let me know when Brooklyn becomes a city in the top 10 population. San Jose is and San Francisco is 12th. Sorry mate, SF Bay Area's reverence for unique identities of SF, SJ, and Oakland operate their own is priceless. Brooklyn was annexed in as a Manhattan bedroom, a stepping stool for bigger and better things if you will. Oakland and San Jose are self respecting cities.

Stu, none of your teams have anything we want. Why would we want a declining Eli Manning? John Conner and Kris Adams? Pffft. You wish you were the 49ers, our success today is exciting. LOL Nets and Knicks are inferior teams, they're floormats for the Pacers and Heat. LOL dont go there with the Islanders and Devils...

We took the Giants from you just like we're taking Wall Street and your dignity away from you. Your city is relieved of its financial duties those belong to SF Bay Area. We turned the Giants into winners, RECENT WINNERS mind you. Just like former WS execs will turn into winners on their new VC philanthropies out in the wild west than in NYC.

NYC is the 2nd best city in the world (Paris #1!). Shocked that I'm saying this? I'm not delusional. NYC will always be the city folks go to have fun and its an urban paradise IMO.

You're not richer than us and you're economy is lackluster compared to the most impressive economy in the free world. We are owners here in the SF Bay Area, we own things. NYC is one of those things now.

Own it, lick your wounds, and carry on
While seeing as though Brooklyn is apart of the Number 1 city in America, unless we secede (which the city will never agree on) Brooklyn will be counted within the total population for the city. Which sits nicely at 8 Million+. When will your Bay Area have individual cities that have at least half of that? I'll wait. =)

Furthermore Brooklyn (Kings County) is apart of the Top Ten counties by population, I don't see any of your Bay Area cities though, sorry. =/

Also saying things like Brooklyn is a bedroom community is hilarious, mainly because after Manhattan, Brooklyn is the SECOND most densest place (county) in America. So using your logic, if Brooklyn is a bedroom community, everywhere else is the suburbs. Another point for Brooklyn. You're losing again. =/

You "took" the Giants meanwhile they were extremely better over here in New York 5 titles here, 2 over in the Bay. Let me know when you guys exceed the NY record. Ok, thanks!

You've clearly never heard of New Yorkers being arrogant it seems. No one (especially someone from the Bay, or Boston rather) can take away our dignity. You can take Wall Street - we'll emerge in another industry and take the throne eventually because that's what we do. From fashion, to film (we're coming back - #2 for now), music, advertising/publishing, Technology (not on the same scale as the Bay Area but it's growing aren't we like Top 3?) etc. The list goes on. Pretty much we don't just rely on ONE industry and act like we're Kings or can compete with the Worldly Top dogs (San Francisco). We dominate in multiple industries and that's why we're on top.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,656,867 times
It's the perfect mix of both. A little closer to Portland/Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City