U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which sunbelt pair has the most in common with each other?
Texas and Florida 34 53.97%
Texas and California 15 23.81%
Florida and California 14 22.22%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM
 
Location: LoS ScAnDaLoUs KiLLa CaLI
1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Reputation: 1179

Advertisements

Each state defines the sunbelt in a huge way, but each state's growth model, economy, climate, politics, demographics, and culture reflect distinctness in each state.
It is slated that these 3 states combined will make up 46% of the United States' population growth in the next 20 years.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ha...t_122858_7.pdf
California Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home

In fact, since 1970, all 3 states combined made up 46 million of the 103 million of the population increase.

However, which pair has the most in common with each other?

Criteria:

Growth
Economy
Politics
Climate
Demographics
Culture
Sports

IMO, I think Texas and Florida have the most in common simply because of being on the periphery of the US South, but as time moves on, I think Texas and CA have more and more in common as both TX and CA both have relatively well-rounded economies with a defined Asian/Hispanic immigration pattern.

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 03-21-2014 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 22,337,052 times
Reputation: 4890
Growth - Texas/California

Economy - Texas/California

Politics - Texas/Florida

Climate - Texas/Florida, Texas/California (because Texas is so vast its climatic regions vary between humid & dry)

Demographics - Texas/California

Culture - Texas/California

Sports - Texas/Florida


Texas & California win this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
1,576 posts, read 2,400,204 times
Reputation: 1095
Texas and California is more similar in demography and soon to be culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 PM
 
Location: LoS ScAnDaLoUs KiLLa CaLI
1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Growth - Texas/California

Economy - Texas/California

Politics - Texas/Florida

Climate - Texas/Florida, Texas/California (because Texas is so vast its climatic regions vary between humid & dry)

Demographics - Texas/California

Culture - Texas/California

Sports - Texas/Florida


Texas & California win this poll.
Aren't TX growth and politics closer to FL than CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 PM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Reputation: 4085
I see the criteria as leaning more towards TX/CA combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 11:07 PM
 
Location: LoS ScAnDaLoUs KiLLa CaLI
1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I see the criteria as leaning more towards TX/CA combo.
I don't think so really, and the poll as of now reflects that.

Any one of these combinations can make sense. Though IMO, CA/FL have the least in common. If CA was only coastal SoCal, I can see that. Demographics, economics, growth, and politics are all different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2014, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 22,337,052 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Aren't TX growth and politics closer to FL than CA?
Yes

Texas & Florida have both grown faster than California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 PM
 
Location: LoS ScAnDaLoUs KiLLa CaLI
1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yes

Texas & Florida have both grown faster than California.
Yes but you put growth under Texas/California so I was a bit confused

Just as I expected, this one is a draw. I love reading articles that paint the sunbelt as some monolithic place, when three of its largest entities are probably completely unlike each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 1,906,926 times
Reputation: 2487
As someone who has lived in California, Florida, and Texas, I can assure you that these three states are as different as night and day. Florida, especially, has nothing in common with either Texas or California.

Florida is a very transient state with hardly any natives, and most of its residents have very little state pride (e.g., most of the people who live there are prouder to be from somewhere else). Even after living in Florida for years, I wouldn't be able to pick out the state flag if you were holding a loaded gun to my head. In Texas and California, you know what the state flag looks by Day 2.

The transient nature of Florida fosters a general lack of community which, in turn, leads to lots of ineptness and apathy in daily interactions and transactions. Overall, things just seem very hectic and inefficient in Florida, especially compared to California and Texas, and people there are just so not on the ball.

Also, Florida has a much less robust, diversified economy than either Texas or California--it's not really a place for educated professionals or corporate ladder-climbers unless you work in health care or at a Latin American HQ or division of a major corporation in Miami. This is one of the main reasons why I moved out.

To be quite honest, I think Florida is more comparable to Arizona and Nevada than either California or Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 AM
 
Location: LoS ScAnDaLoUs KiLLa CaLI
1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
As someone who has lived in California, Florida, and Texas, I can assure you that these three states are as different as night and day. Florida, especially, has nothing in common with either Texas or California.

Florida is a very transient state with hardly any natives, and most of its residents have very little state pride (e.g., most of the people who live there are prouder to be from somewhere else). Even after living in Florida for years, I wouldn't be able to pick out the state flag if you were holding a loaded gun to my head. In Texas and California, you know what the state flag looks by Day 2.

The transient nature of Florida fosters a general lack of community which, in turn, leads to lots of ineptness and apathy in daily interactions and transactions. Overall, things just seem very hectic and inefficient in Florida, especially compared to California and Texas, and people there are just so not on the ball.

Also, Florida has a much less robust, diversified economy than either Texas or California--it's not really a place for educated professionals or corporate ladder-climbers unless you work in health care or at a Latin American HQ or division of a major corporation in Miami. This is one of the main reasons why I moved out.

To be quite honest, I think Florida is more comparable to Arizona and Nevada than either California or Texas.
Yeah I've also noticed the lack of general Florida pride as well. Usually, the kids of immigrants start adopting state pride since that's their first interaction with the United States is their state of residence. But even with them, even in FL, it seems that element is missing.

California was a transient state as well for most of it's history. Why has California fostered more state pride in it than Florida has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top