Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:29 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times

Advertisements

Later this year I have a conference that I have to go to in Urbana, IL and the next weekend, I'm going to a college friend's wedding in Frankfort, KY. Where should I spend the five days in between?

I love bike riding and exploring trains, museums, books stores, trying regional cuisines, meeting new people, and reading in coffee shops.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
I'd rather shoot down to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the five-day interim period than spend a day in any of those cities--just sayin'.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:16 AM

489 posts, read 910,725 times
Cincy. It's a pretty cool city. Has a very cool urban feel north of it's downtown, and some great museums. Not sure I could spend a week there for a vacation...

I've never been to Louisville, though.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:11 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I had a nice vacation last year in Louisville and Cincy. A whole week in Louisville is too much, IMO.

1 night in Indy, 1 night in Louisville, 3 nights in Cincy.

Could night # 3 be left open? You might want to spend another day in Louisville.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I had a nice vacation last year in Louisville and Cincy. A whole week in Louisville is too much, IMO.

Could night # 3 be left open? You might want to spend another day in Louisville.
That's a great suggestion.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Indy has the most going on from a tourism perspective, but quite frankly I wouldn't want to be a tourist in any of the cities for more than a couple days. Since they're all so close I say two days in Indy, two in Cincy, followed by a day in Louisville.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
That's a great suggestion.
Agreed. Assuming that you're not intimidated by driving from Urbana to Frankfort, why not explore all three cities mentioned? Needless to say, any Cincinnati booster (such as myself) could just as easily encourage you to spend five days in the Queen City--but why?

Unless, you have particular interests in any one city (for example, a potential career move, a love interest, friends, or scholastic studies), any midsized American city can be surveyed in less than five days. Even fabled midsized European cities such as Dublin, Edinburgh, Helsinki, etc., require no more than several days to get to know them. Therefore, I suggest you stick with creeksitter's recommendation: yes, do spend more time in Cincinnati, but also explore both Indianapolis and Louisville--and confine your exploration predominately to the cores of these three cities, rather than venturing out here and there into their much less rewarding suburbs.

Last edited by motorman; 03-24-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 AM

549 posts, read 848,133 times
I definitely agree with checking out all three. Indianapolis is a lot of fun, and probably has the most active downtown of the three, but there's not much to see in the neighborhoods. See some monuments, grab some lunch in Mass Ave, and maybe head up to Broad Ripple if you've got the time. A day there is plenty.

Louisville has fun stuff to see downtown, Old Louisville is worth a drive through, and Bardstown is a fun night out.

If you're interested at all in modern Architecture, you MUST make a pit stop in Columbus, Indiana when going between Indy and Louisville. The American Institue of Architects ranks it the 6th most important city in the nation in terms of architectural heritage, right after DC. It's pretty crazy to see so many significant architects in a town of 44,000.

Cincinnati is my favorite of the three. You can spend a little more time here because there are more neighborhoods to visit. Over-the-Rhine and Mt Adams are must-sees. Mainstrasse, Hyde Park, Northside, and Clifton are worth visiting if you've got the time. The problem with Cincy is it's not very tourist oriented. It's an old city with a lot of history, but it's all hidden in random places.

Last edited by ProkNo5; 03-24-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 AM

416 posts, read 700,838 times
I just don't find Indianapolis that worthy of even a full day. Check out their mostly chainy downtown, then head up to Broad Ripple (nothing to write home about, but certainly the most interesting neighborhood in that city.)

Louisville and Cincinnati have more to see IMO. Check out Louisville's downtown/riverfront and Bardstown.

In Cincinnati there are a plethora of neighborhoods to check out. From the riverfront through downtown. Go up into the hills and check out Columbia-Tusculum and Hyde Park in the eastern neighborhoods of the city. Also, check out the cultural institutions in and around Mount Adams.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 AM

367 posts, read 696,759 times
I would split my time up. Depending on what time of year you are going I would check and see what each city has going on that week. 1st week of May Louisville for the Derby. State fair In late August Louisville. Cincinnati has outdoor concerts all summer and fall at Riverbend.The Highlands in Louisville have a lot of little trendy shops and coffee shops. Just don't spend all your time in Frankfort it is very boring there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City