Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Well, you should have said that rather than coming in here windmilling at me for pointing out what you don't see.

And I do like you and your opinions, you know that. I just get sick of being attacked on this site.
Windmilling????? All I did was state my disagreement and the reason for such. I NEVER attacked you, not even close dude.

I'm scratching my head on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
I don't really know if you can fairly criticize the list for not including enough towns from the "Deep South" and then turn around and criticize a poster for trying to categorize the towns by subregion. The Deep South is a subregion of the South.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I don't really know if you can fairly criticize the list for not including enough towns from the "Deep South" and then turn around and criticize a poster for trying to categorize the towns by subregion. The Deep South is a subregion of the South.
The only reason why I said that is because I knew folks were going to consider Virginia the South.

I don't care how much influence southern influence VA has (or KY for that matter), North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas (reluctantly), Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida comprises the south. To me, the Deep South and The Southeastern United States are the SAME. And that is the ONLY South. This is my opinion.

Houston is a southern metro culturally, but Texas is not a southern state.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Windmilling????? All I did was state my disagreement and the reason for such. I NEVER attacked you, not even close dude.

I'm scratching my head on this one.
We won't worry about it.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:37 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
I AM VERY VERY ANGRY ABOUT THIS UTTERLY MEANINGLESS LIST

Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
The only reason why I said that is because I knew folks were going to consider Virginia the South.
That's because it IS the South.

You're getting mad because you've got arbitrary rules about what is and what's not Southern that the vast majority of people don't agree with. Sorry, but that's not reasonable in the least.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
That's because it IS the South.

You're getting mad because you've got arbitrary rules about what is and what's not Southern that the vast majority of people don't agree with. Sorry, but that's not reasonable in the least.
Ok. If Virginia is Southern, why not Indiana? Heck, why not Oklahoma? You know what, there is signs of southern influence in Maryland too... my rules are arbitrary? Nonsense, they're geographical. The Southeast is the South, and that's all. Culturally, only North Florida is consistent with "Southern Culture" but Florida is a part of the south; even with Miami and its ZERO similarities to Tallahassee or Jacksonville.

Which part of either (this one, or the one I posted earlier today) of my post don't you understand?

*edit*

And furthermore, you're the one with 100,000 different sub-regions within main regions but want to call me out on arbitrary definitions. Ok.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Ok. If Virginia is Southern, why not Indiana? Heck, why not Oklahoma? You know what, there is signs of southern influence in Maryland too... my rules are arbitrary? Nonsense, they're geographical. The Southeast is the South, and that's all. Culturally, only North Florida is consistent with "Southern Culture" but Florida is a part of the south; even with Miami and its ZERO similarities to Tallahassee or Jacksonville.

Which part of either (this one, or the one I posted earlier today) of my post don't you understand?

*edit*

And furthermore, you're the one with 100,000 different sub-regions within main regions but want to call me out on arbitrary definitions. Ok.
This is foolishness. You know very little about VA if you think it's not Southern. History, geography, and culture place it firmly within the region, despite the modern cultural anomaly that is NOVA.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
This is foolishness. You know very little about VA if you think it's not Southern. History, geography, and culture place it firmly within the region, despite the modern cultural anomaly that is NOVA.
Except EVERYONE that's from VA that I've met doesn't see themselves as southerners. And I haven't been to Virginia since 08. Last time I was there my friend's family joked: To New Yorkers, we're rednecks but to Georgians, were Yamkees. Virginia is a unique situation.

With that being said, I admitted the southern culture overtones in certain parts... I'm still trying to remember if I've EVER met someone from VA that said they were Southern.

No, I haven't. Not even my family in Richmond (of all places).

So yeah, we won't be agreeing on this one. No worries.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Except EVERYONE that's from VA that I've met doesn't see themselves as southerners. And I haven't been to Virginia since 08. Last time I was there my friend's family joked: To New Yorkers, we're rednecks but to Georgians, were Yamkees. Virginia is a unique situation.

With that being said, I admitted the southern culture overtones in certain parts... I'm still trying to remember if I've EVER met someone from VA that said they were Southern.

No, I haven't. Not even my family in Richmond (of all places).

So yeah, we won't be agreeing on this one. No worries.
OK, so you REALLY think that writers at the DC-based Smithsonian magazine share your opinion (which is more uncommon than not) and, with that in mind, sought to malign the South in creating this list??????? Is that your argument??? Most folks in DC proper consider Virginia on the whole to be in the South; they embrace NOVA as part of the mid-Atlantic but consider the rest of the state to be in a different region.

Your rationale just really makes little sense. There's just no agenda in play here at all and no other Southerner in this thread has agreed with you. That should tell you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City