U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 PM

11,055 posts, read 12,790,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Well said. You'll often hear, too, that DC's "private sector" is flourishing, but this is basically just because of a long-running but massive shift of federal positions to contracting firms.

It's a depressing reality, but DC has basically become an oligarchical capital rather than one that truly governs and represents the entire nation. I find an increasing parallel to the "Hunger Games."

Washington area jobless rate dips to 4.9 percent even as job growth remains weak - The Washington Post

Don't let facts get in the way!

Sorry bud, anything we have done from 2012 on out is of our own doing. Step away from the ledge. The government isn't driving anything in D.C. and hasn't been for a while.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM

22,402 posts, read 35,017,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
LOL....how many jobs has the D.C. region added in the last three years with all the Federal government and contractor cuts?

And yet, D.C. is still booming. I can't wait to hear the excuses over the next three years as the D.C. boom without the Federal government continues. How many years do you think you will be able to say it's from the Federal government even though they along with contractors are shedding jobs and have been for three years?
according to the link I just posted - the Federal Govt slightly outpaced the job growth rates in DC- suggesting it only slightly contributed more to new job adds then did other non-govt sectors

Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Washington area jobless rate dips to 4.9 percent even as job growth remains weak - The Washington Post

Don't let facts get in the way!

Sorry bud, anything we have done from 2012 on out is of our own doing. Step away from the ledge. The government isn't driving anything in D.C. and hasn't been for a while.
You may just about the only person in America that could try to straight face this (what is a while - two months, a week?)

Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You may just about the only person in America that could try to straight face this (what is a while - two months, a week?)

D.C. hasn't had good job growth for going on three years.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
according to the link I just posted - the Federal Govt slightly outpaced the job growth rates in DC- suggesting it only slightly contributed more to new job adds then did other non-govt sectors

You just posted a link that shows D.C. was growing from 2009-2012 which everyone agrees on. D.C. hasn't had good job growth for going on three years now so anything after 2011 is awful. Wake up Kidphilly. And this year, D.C. is building more than it has in the last 100 years. Go figure...with no job growth at that.....

What is your response going to be now....I'm on pins and needles....

I remember when you told me the Wharf wasn't going to happen. I should go pull that thread back up...

Old 03-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Hey KidPhilly, it's always great to be able to look back to 2011 and see how good our prediction's were.

Time Machine back to 2011:

Read the first three pages:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...re-stocks.html

KidPhilly Year 2011 prediction for DC:

Increased unemployment (8=11%) and slowed population growth (12%) in the 24-36 horsizon with a 3-7 year bottom for DC

Again MD; please explain the organic growth of DC recently outside of defict spend relative to the 98.5% of the rest of America and why DC is somehow immune when it CLEARLY has not been but lagged econimic conditions in the US for more than 200 years (again I hope you are not basing this on the discovery channel, marriott, or govt funded healthcare facilities)

As an aside I worked on the growth and development plan for Titan largely based on war efforts (else the plan was 70% less on growth) by the way this piggybacked on Grummen, GD, and SAIC for the EXACT same reason as a support comapny

But again unless you can tell me you understand what happened in the 70s and 80s dont bother

Again why do you think DC is differnet outside of EXUBERANT Gov't spend? will you go on record with that?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????

O yeah

And based on this below, you just lost all your money. How much did you bet?

"12 months is difficult but I would wager on 24-36 months"

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-24-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hey KidPhilly, it's always great to be able to look back to 2011 and see how good our prediction's were.

Time Machine back to 2011:

Read the first three pages:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...re-stocks.html

Increased unemployment (8=11%) and slowed population growth (12%) in the 24-36 horsizon with a 3-7 year bottom for DC

Again MD; please explain the organic growth of DC recently outside of defict spend relative to the 98.5% of the rest of America and why DC is somehow immune when it CLEARLY has not been but lagged econimic conditions in the US for more than 200 years (again I hope you are not basing this on the discovery channel, marriott, or govt funded healthcare facilities)

As an aside I worked on the growth and development plan for Titan largely based on war efforts (else the plan was 70% less on growth) by the way this piggybacked on Grummen, GD, and SAIC for the EXACT same reason as a support comapny

But again unless you can tell me you understand what happened in the 70s and 80s dont bother

Again why do you think DC is differnet outside of EXUBERANT Gov't spend? will you go on record with that?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????
Govt spend never really slowed - just leveled (so maybe I was too early in my time window)

If you don't believe a reduction in Govt spend and jobs in DC would not have significant impacts be my guest

And on the other points - continued construction without proportional job adds are not a good thing - worse longer term if that doesn't correct.

Regardless one year trends in general are not all that valuable.

I am not wishing any harm to DC - I do want a reduction in Govt spend - DC may be hit harder than other places but my wish is not for DC to be impacted just for better spend controls - they are not the same.

And I still cant fathom how anyone can suggest the DC of today is not generated from the growth of Gov't recently -The one has fed the others.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 PM

6,627 posts, read 13,359,563 times
Quote:
And I still cant fathom how anyone can suggest the DC of today is not generated from the growth of Gov't recently -The one has fed the others.
Dude didn't you hear him earlier? The government is actually holding them back!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Govt spend never really slowed - just leveled (so maybe I was too early in my time window)

If you don't believe a reduction in Govt spend and jobs in DC would not have significant impacts be my guest

And on the other points - continued construction without proportional job adds are not a good thing - worse longer term if that doesn't correct.

Regardless one year trends in general are not all that valuable.

I am not wishing any harm to DC - I do want a reduction in Govt spend - DC may be hit harder than other places but my wish is not for DC to be impacted just for better spend controls - they are not the same.

Well for one, D.C. is actually not building that many housing units. They're building a lot of multi-family housing units. Major difference. We're actually about 10,000-20,000 under where we used to be in housing construction. The amount of multi-family is only striking because people around the region are used to suburban single family house construction which will never pick up again. Also, there is a retail and hotel boom driving much of the construction in the city. The D.C. region is out of land. New housing will be built around our transit network forever going forward. Urban and dense is where we are headed and developers know it. Glad we have our transit network!

As for government spending, the region could only add 20,000-30,000 people a year and D.C. would continue to boom. Why, because D.C. is absorbing a WAY larger amount of regional growth than it has in the last 50 years. The D.C. region grew for the last 50 years as D.C. shank. That time has passed and now D.C. is booming like most cities are booming. It's a new day for cities and D.C. is no different. Urban and dense. It's the way of the future. We just have better transit infrastructure than the rest of you to grow smarter.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:59 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,587,444 times
Quote:
Heh. Look, I understand your optimism for DC and its progress. It does indeed have a lot going for it, and there definitely is a segment of the DC economy that is independent of government. However, you have to ask yourself one question: if DC were not the nation's capital, how large would its economy be? I think the answer to this question is: pretty darn small.

DC was established and founded solely for the purpose of serving as the nation's seat of government. You have to consider that even the bulk of the private sector in the DC area (legal, real estate, hospitality, medicine, non-profit, retail, etc.) are ancillary to the federal government and its workers. The same goes for many, many private contracting firms.

The federal government is the foundation of DC's identity -- I don't know why that fact seems to make some people defensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City