Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
New York City and Minneapolis have the best.
Phoenix, Los Angeles, and San Diego have the worst (it tastes like swimming pool water).
I agree with this. Phoenix water is absolute garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 08:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Water out west has to contend with all the minerals that it has come into contact with the rocks. Cyanide is a big problem out West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
My theory is that NY/NJ makes damn sure to filter their water because they know it can be heavily polluted.
New York still has the PCBs in the Hudson after all these years. Plus the old infrastructure on the East Coast in general such as lead pipes in water mains and even lead welds in domestic piping.

Houston does not have to worry about lead. There was a big push to rebuild water/sewer lines in the '90s and '00s and you could see the huge PVC/concrete pipes they were about to bury.

The worst that could happen is that your galvanized steel pipes are beginning to reach the end of their lives and starting to rust within. That was featured on a local TV news story a month ago. Most of those houses are the older houses built in the 1960's-1980's, which are mostly clustered around Beltway 8 in West Houston. The builder of my house in the exurbs mentioned the copper piping in the features sheet.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:29 PM

165 posts, read 206,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
This data is almost 15 years old. Things could have changed significantly since 2001. These ratings seem to fluctuate year-to-year. According to this study, Seattle received a grade of poor for 2000. But they were upgraded to fair for 2001.
Thanks.

History of Seattle's water supply and the protected land it comes from.

How clean is Seattle's drinking water?
So how does Seattle keep its water clean? The answer starts more than 35 miles away at the Cedar River Watershed and the Tolt River Watershed, where an unspoiled wilderness sits in the Cascade Mountains.
The city owns almost 91,000 acres of land around the Cedar River Watershed, more than 99.6 percent of the hydrographic boundary that feeds the river. By owning the land, the city protects the source of the water. That's nearly twice the 50,000 acres of the city itself. The same's true for the Tolt.
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...ter-888354.php

last 7 yrs water quality annual reports for seattle
http://www.seattle.gov/util/MyServic...lity/index.htm

Last edited by Data Donut; 08-29-2015 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-30-2015, 10:35 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
As gross as this sounds, I remember when I lived in Tucson (similar water sourcing minus SRP in favor of recycled groundwater) is that I was forced to drink tap 1x and I was full afterwards? Like I had eaten something. It was purely disgusting.

Arizona in general has ridiculously hard water.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
This sight list many cities and water results by the NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council) for 2001 on ......
--Water Quality and Compliance
--Right to Know Reports
--Source Water Protection

Chicago was the ONLY city listed as EXCELLENT WATER QUALITY, from Lake Michigan.
NRDC: What's On Tap?

Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
New York still has the PCBs in the Hudson after all these years. Plus the old infrastructure on the East Coast in general such as lead pipes in water mains and even lead welds in domestic piping.
New York doesn't get water from the Hudson... wtf. NYC tap water is pretty much wild mountain water, we get it from upstate and its piped through two giant tunnels. They even bottle NYC tap water to sell it in stores.
NYC has enough mountain water reserves for like 100+ million people or something crazy... no need to use the Hudson.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:36 PM

242 posts, read 759,164 times
Best tap water from my experience: NYC, parts of NJ, and Long Island (except far out east which is gross and chemical-lay).

Mediocre tap water: Washington, D.C. Area, Richmond, VA area, Miami (Florida has terrible water in general but it is pretty good at least in Miami Beach).

Not-so-good tap water: Hoboken, NJ (really gross taste), Los Angeles, Jacksonville, FL (hands down worst water I've ever had or showered in), Orlando, FL (a close second to Jacksonville), all of Florida in general has extremely hard water, and Savvanah, GA.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:11 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Why Seattle

Quote:
Our water tastes good because it comes fresh from the Cascades: natural, minimally treated—no herbicides, pesticides or chemicals—clean, tasty water. It’s not like the water from the Mississippi River or Lake Michigan, which is heavily filtered and processed (because it’s been through thousands of kidneys) and kind of tastes flat. Our protected watershed is a fundamentally different kind of system. We get the first use of this water, and everything in here is natural.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:19 PM

182 posts, read 718,876 times
San Mateo and Pacifica and maybe sf have very good Yosemite water but too much fluoride. West oahu and Santa Cruz have horrible water

Old 10-22-2016, 06:20 PM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Providence water is great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City