Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:21 PM

84 posts, read 111,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Exactly! Anybody who says OKC has a better food scene has automatically lost all credibility. If you live in the Woodlands or any other generic suburb, then most of what you have to choose from are chain restaurants. The Woodlands is not Houston. And did they really just compare our museum district(one of the best in the country) to OKC and Norman? Lol!

https://www.google.com/#q=houston+re...scene&start=20

Houston restaurant scene hailed in New York Times - Cook's Tour

A Restaurant Renaissance in Houston - Articles - Departures
If you don't want fine dining, but want local flavor, I've found that OKC is better. Houston (and yes I work in the city) is choc-a-bock full of chain restaurants. Fine dining, sure, Houston has it beat, but nothing can compare to Irma's Burgers, Big Truck Tacos, Mutts, Red Prime, et cetera.

Norman has a festival of some sort or another every week. It is family friendly and has many things to do, and yes, there are smaller museums in the OKC metro than Houston, but there are more of them, ergo more things to do. The best part is, you don't spend an hour and a half getting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 01:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dogsnokids View Post
If you don't want fine dining, but want local flavor, I've found that OKC is better. Houston (and yes I work in the city) is choc-a-bock full of chain restaurants. Fine dining, sure, Houston has it beat, but nothing can compare to Irma's Burgers, Big Truck Tacos, Mutts, Red Prime, et cetera.
I did just see you say that Oklahoma has better tacos than a city with one of the largest Mexican populations in the US...

Houston covers all bases from fine dining to food trucks. There is absolutely nothing that Oklahoma City does better. There is an endless sea of local restaurants in Houston that you obviously haven't bothered trying out. How often do you actually leave the freeway from your job to your house?

Quote:
Norman has a festival of some sort or another every week. It is family friendly and has many things to do, and yes, there are smaller museums in the OKC metro than Houston, but there are more of them, ergo more things to do. The best part is, you don't spend an hour and a half getting there.
You spend and hour and a half trying to get there because you chose to live in a far flung suburb. I can walk to our museums because I live in the city.

Oklahoma City does not have more museums. You're clearly just more familiar with them.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:08 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
So much talk about food! Perhaps that's why obesity is such a problem.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:51 PM

93 posts, read 179,367 times
somebody said in this thread that democrats aren't welcome in houston.

or as he put it, "people with nancy pelosi tattoos"

I wonder if he checked City-Data's records and sees that houston is basically 50/50.

Obama slightly edged out Mccain, and Romney slightly edged out Obama.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:26 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I did just see you say that Oklahoma has better tacos than a city with one of the largest Mexican populations in the US...

Houston covers all bases from fine dining to food trucks. There is absolutely nothing that Oklahoma City does better.
So you are telling us that everything is bigger and better in Texas

Never heard that before.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrebel View Post
somebody said in this thread that democrats aren't welcome in houston.

or as he put it, "people with nancy pelosi tattoos"

I wonder if he checked City-Data's records and sees that houston is basically 50/50.

Obama slightly edged out Mccain, and Romney slightly edged out Obama.
Obama won Harris County in both elections.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So you are telling us that everything is bigger and better in Texas

Never heard that before.
No, but most things are bigger and better in Houston. The metro is like six times larger and it's also one of the most diverse places in North America. It's illogical to suggest that the only edge it would have over OKC is chains and fine dining.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Moving from one to the other is a culture shock regardless of where you move. OKC is not a bad place to live, but it is not Houston or Texas. I think you'll do just fine because OK is a becautiful state with many places to explore and things to see.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:42 AM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No, but most things are bigger and better in Houston. The metro is like six times larger and it's also one of the most diverse places in North America. It's illogical to suggest that the only edge it would have over OKC is chains and fine dining.
Agreed, I think it's also important to point out that of the 50,000 mexican people that live in Oklahoma, not a one of them can slap a taco together like the ones who live in Houston. Nooooosirrrreeeeee.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
People ask daily if their life would be better in Houston, and the answer in most cases is yes.

Now if you lack employable skills, have multiple children out of wedlock, or have a Nancy Pelosi tattoo I don't think it will work for you here.
Seriously, a moderator is trolling like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City