Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best seafood?
East Coast 45 32.61%
Gulf Coast 43 31.16%
West Coast 50 36.23%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

West coast
East coast

Gulf coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Bluefin and yellowfin
Red Drum
Red Snapper (the REAL Red Snapper) broiled or grilled
Maine Lobster stuffed with fresh Garlic/butter/olive oil/parsley off the grill
Oyster fritters
Fresh Bay Oyster shooters
Stuffed Chesapeake Bay Crab balls
Fried crab (hardshell)
Fried softshell crab (Chesapeake bay)

OLD BAY Seasoning ...etc... etc.
East Coast baby!!! My mouth is already starting to water! Can't beat that Old Bay! Add some beer in the pot with them crabs! That's how we do around here

Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

A little biased being in Maryland but with Fukishima's real effects on the Pacific and oil spills in the gulf, Im going to the Atlantic

Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,113,588 times
I didn't know we had this many Maryland residents on the forum! Y'all come out of the woodwork for a seafood debate.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
How did it taste? I'm interested in trying out gator someday whenever I travel back to Florida.
Honestly, it was like chicken. I had "alligator bites", kind of like popcorn chicken, at a seafood place (don't remember what it was called). I only ate one because I was so weirded out and I forced myself to eat it to try something new, something unique to Florida, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. It was seriously a lot like chicken. Still, though, I couldn't eat more than one because the fact that I was eating alligator was kind of freaky to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
A little biased being in Maryland but with Fukishima's real effects on the Pacific and oil spills in the gulf, Im going to the Atlantic
Yeah, I'm thinking despite what they're telling us, Pacific seafood MUST be contaminated, at least some. There's no way everything is safe. I don't trust it and I'm trying to stay away from West Coast fish - which is a shame.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 04-01-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
I had gator sausage once in New Orleans. It was pretty tasty. But it did taste a little like chicken.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:24 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
The East Coast hands down. Then I'd say West Coast. Then Gulf Coast. I prefer shrimp caught off of GA's coast to any shrimp I've had from the west coast...of the 4 main varieties, the shrimp are likely to be the variety I prefer off the coast of GA. I also don't trust seafood as much from the Gulf. Everywhere is dirty, but not every is that warm/dirty/still. The cool ocean currents in the Atlantic and Pacific give me greater comfort of the quality of the seafood I am eating.

West coast crab can give Mid-Atlantic crab a run for its money. But good lobster, young fresh tail on the relative cheap, can only be found in New England. Yum!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:04 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I didn't know we had this many Maryland residents on the forum! Y'all come out of the woodwork for a seafood debate.
It's so embedded in our culture that it's practically a way of life IIRC, the Blue Crab is the state animal (Or was it the Chesapeake Bay Retriever?) .

Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
East. Where to start?

Lobster
steamed crabs
fried soft crab
crab cakes
scallops
clams (steamed, raw)
oysters (raw, fried, oyster stew)
FL stone crab claws
cracked conch
shrimp (steamed, boiled, fried, w/grits)
Asst chowders and soups up and down the coast such as new england clam chowder, MD crab, oyster stew, MD cream of crab/she crab, conch chowder, etc...etc...
etc...
etc...
Then there is the many species of fish and the many ways it's prepared up and down the coast such as broiled stuffed with crab meat, fried, grilled and more.

large numbers of yellowfin and bluefin tuna off the mid atlantic and North east, and dolphin (mahi for you west coasters and ones who are thinking flipper) up and down the coast make these palagics fresh and available all year.

Plenty of deep water fish such as tile, grouper and snapper as well.

Rockfish (striped bass), sea bass, sea trout (specks and grey), flounder, and more.

Many varieties of assorted panfish up and down the coast.

Plenty more as well as up and down the coast from FL's Indian River Lagoon, NC's sounds, MD/VA's Chesapeake and all the coastal bays behind the string of barrier islands up and down the coast make incredable breeding grounds for all sorts of tasty, coastal critters. And our warm waters brought well north from the gulf stream give practically the whole east coast some kind of year round fishing for assorted tasty creatures of the deep.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No. Just stop. Please.
Yeah, we're talking about someone who never had an Apalachicola oyster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City