Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best seafood?
East Coast 45 32.61%
Gulf Coast 43 31.16%
West Coast 50 36.23%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 AM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I wonder how's the shark on the three coasts......

Never tasted shark before, but I'm interested in trying some.
I do like Mako. Swordfish is probably the best thing to compare it to, but I find Mako to be a little easier to work with when cooking (Swordfish dries out fairly easily). I like to pan sear it and serve it over spinach with a squirt of lemon and a light mango salsa. It's really good. The issue with shark (they say, anyway) is that it's high in mercury content. It's a once in a while meal. If we're talking fresh fish, I really REALLY like fresh striped bass. it's definitely one of my favorite foods. A nice tuna steak seared rare is a little slice of heaven too, but even the "fresh" stuff from the fishmonger was flash frozen at sea. My fish guy puts the sushi grade tuna out in a massive block and I can pick the size and location of the cut. I typically go with the fattier, darker meat. It's less appealing to many people than the deep purple sections, but the flavor is out of this world.

Oh, and speaking of shark, there are a few restaurants in the area now that do a pretty good job with spiny dogfish. Really tasty when prepared well and I had always considered it sort of a throw away fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,243,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Oh, and speaking of shark, there are a few restaurants in the area now that do a pretty good job with spiny dogfish. Really tasty when prepared well and I had always considered it sort of a throw away fish.
Admittedly I never tried Dogfish until Andrew Zimmern the Bizarre Foods guy filmed an episode in Boston and featured them. Now I have to admit it really is delicious and wouldn't have even paid it any mind unless I watched that show.

By the way, just out of curiosity who is your Fishmonger locally? I go to New Deal in Cambridge personally.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:50 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Which coast has the best seafood?
im a bit bias'd but the east coast has maine lobster, and this is my fav food!!
we also have steamer clams,,,which are awesome steamed, or fried
and
we have delicate sea scallops- scallops wrapped in bacon are ...one of my fav appetizers..

and

as the native Indians did, you can cook the lobsters and clams in seaweed, giving it a smokey flavor that is heavenly!! we call it a clambake or lobsterbake

and

we have the rugged maine women that will help dig the clams, they aren't the dainty California ewww & ick girls

Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,092,633 times
Yup California totally has 19 million women who are all exactly the same in this regard.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:08 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,773,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

we have the rugged maine women that will help dig the clams, they aren't the dainty California ewww & ick girls
How ignorant and stereotypical of you.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:16 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,147,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Admittedly I never tried Dogfish until Andrew Zimmern the Bizarre Foods guy filmed an episode in Boston and featured them. Now I have to admit it really is delicious and wouldn't have even paid it any mind unless I watched that show.

By the way, just out of curiosity who is your Fishmonger locally? I go to New Deal in Cambridge personally.
Andrew Zimmern also focused on snakeheads when he was doing an episode in the DC area. I honestly didn't know you can eat them nor did I realized that there are actually quite a few restaurants that have snakehead on the menu.....A clever and Eco-friendly way to deal with their invasive presence in the Chesapeake Bay and the various other watersheds throughout the DMV and the Delmarva. Might give it a try one day!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,147,186 times
Quote:
and
we have delicate sea scallops- scallops wrapped in bacon are ...one of my fav appetizers..

and

as the native Indians did, you can cook the lobsters and clams in seaweed, giving it a smokey flavor that is heavenly!! we call it a clambake or lobsterbake

and

East Coast seafood is one of the best comfort foods ever!! Btw, the rep I gave you was for your IP status It had me CTFU! Love it!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,210,535 times
Quote:
and

and

and

It's the truth, have yeah ever been to maine?? And not the touristy places.

California and Maine have as much in common as a Lobsta with claws and a warm water one with none..

The northeast all the way in regards to seafood. Cold water Lobsta (the best) clams, haddock, cod, tuna...

Quahog's and Oysters..

A diversity of seafood and find cold water fish the best. The pacific has it's own qualities too, but i think the NE is more diverse and tasty when it comes to seafood. Ah the scallops...i forget those!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,092,633 times
EDIT: wrong thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
It's the truth, have yeah ever been to maine?? And not the touristy places.

California and Maine have as much in common as a Lobsta with claws and a warm water one with none..

The northeast all the way in regards to seafood. Cold water Lobsta (the best) clams, haddock, cod, tuna...

Quahog's and Oysters..

A diversity of seafood and find cold water fish the best. The pacific has it's own qualities too, but i think the NE is more diverse and tasty when it comes to seafood. Ah the scallops...i forget those!
bri...good post!!

I have to agree

I grew up in a small fishing village, we dug clams, fished, picked mussels, dragged for scallops, and went lobstering - hard work, but some mornings when you head out and see the sun rising,it is absolutely beautiful,,,maine is unspoiled, 93 % trees and a long coastline, =fresh air
as kids we spent most of our formative years smelling like bait- but so did the other kids,,lol

and im always jokin bout the maine women-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City