Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 09:33 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,149,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
DTLA is well above Downtown Dallas in pretty much any criteria you can think of.
Thanks for providing so much specific information. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,355,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Thanks for providing so much specific information. LOL.
Because you dove into specifics, correct?

Quote:
If you were just comparing the downtown areas, Dallas would easily match LA. However, the access to the ocean and mountains does exist in LA and then they still have the thriving west side areas...Westwood, Wilshire, Miracle Mile, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc. There are also some nice places in other LA regions like Pasadena to the northeast. The summers are not as miserable except for some cities at the LA region's eastern edge that are basically in the desert. Dallas does have an NFL football team, though. LA does not. Dallas also has a lower COL than LA. Overall, LA may have an edge, but it is not so significant that anyone should realistically brag about it.

All I see is an opinion. A bad one. DTLA has a population of 52k, with close over 5000k units under construction right now. it should hit 100k by the end of the decade. Safe to say it is considerably more vibrant.

Dallas has a downtown population of 6000.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:51 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTex View Post
Nope. Jerry Jones decided to put the team in Arlington, which is why the Final Four was said to be in "North Texas". Huge loss for Dallas, 30+ year mistake. People here give Jerry a pass and blame the then mayor, but it was his decision and he could have waited a couple years for the next mayor if he wanted. They say he got a better deal; yeah the rent is lower in the low rent district go figure. People don't want to fly to Dallas only to have a long commute to Arlington for an event and then straight back to Dallas for the after party because there is no reason for a tourist to hang in Arlington. People from out of town have not been happy about their Superbowl, Final Four, etc. experience. Conversely if the stadium has been put in west Dallas where the new bridge leads it could have really had an impact on that area like the American Airlines Center has had, or even Fair Park as many have suggested, but west Dallas would have been better. And a lot more people would be willing to do a weekend trip for an event.
Speaking as a Fort Worthian, I strongly disagree with that...

Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 AM

215 posts, read 471,504 times
Quote:
You are living in Pacific Palisades, so I can understand that comment. That may be the most affluent area outside Beverly Hills/Malibu in the LA area. It is also on a beautiful part of the coast. If you were in South Central LA, you would beg for the Star Trek "beam me to Dallas" machine in a nano second. Not even debatable.
I grew up in south central LA and know it like the back up my hand. It's a very big area and actually has many different types of neighborhoods. I would still choose to live in south central over Dallas, and so would probably most people who live in it. The weather is better, the housing stock is better than any of the hoods I've seen in south Dallas, or west Dallas. Also crime is no worse, and perhaps even safer in South Central LA.

To me South Dallas looks like some rural backwater very poor southern community. I remember the first time I visited Dallas my cousin drove me through the hood and I seen people sitting on the banks either a small river or stream fishing in this nasty looking water in the middle of south Dallas. You will never see anything of the such in south central LA, or Boyle Heights/East LA. Dallas maybe clean in some areas, but it also has some slums and poor areas far worst than anything I've ever seen in Los Angeles.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:01 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I grew up in south central LA and know it like the back up my hand. It's a very big area and actually has many different types of neighborhoods. I would still choose to live in south central over Dallas, and so would probably most people who live in it. The weather is better, the housing stock is better than any of the hoods I've seen in south Dallas, or west Dallas. Also crime is no worse, and perhaps even safer in South Central LA.
So many gorgeous Craftsman bungalows in South LA. Some great Victorians close to USC too. I'm slowly trying to warm my wife up to the idea that we should sell our DTLA condo in 5 years or so and scoop up a craftsman in West Adams or Jefferson Park, close to an Expo Line station.

Jefferson Park Craftsman Homes

Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Because you dove into specifics, correct?

All I see is an opinion. A bad one. DTLA has a population of 52k, with close over 5000k units under construction right now. it should hit 100k by the end of the decade. Safe to say it is considerably more vibrant.

Dallas has a downtown population of 6000.
Is there still a large homeless/destitute population in DTLA that constitute a large part of that number? I know it is getting better. Quality counts too and smaller cities will have smaller numbers in every neighborhood including downtown (believe Dallas proper is about 1 million overall; LA proper about 3 million).

Defining "better" is always subjective and reasonable people will disagree. Dallas has an arts district called Deep Ellum and both downtowns have pro sports teams that play there (for LA the Clippers, Lakers and Kings; for Dallas the Mavericks and Stars). There are still posts from people that spend time in DTLA and are not impressed yet. When these stop occurring, I can gladly change my mind. I will probably go there myself just to make up my own mind next time down there.

Meanwhile, glad to hear things appear to be getting better in DTLA, but there are still those that prefer to spend time elsewhere in the LA area for the time being.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-21-2014 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Added a phrase.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
LOL, no offense, but Los Angeles and Dallas are nothing alike. I've lived in both, and I hated Dallas.
Both are centers for fashion.

Both are superficial & pretentious.

Both have some of the country's wealthiest zip codes.

Both are sprawling metropolises with lots of suburbs.

Both are built around the freeway.

Both have awesome night time skylines.

That's where the similarities end.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:47 PM

437 posts, read 625,166 times
Houston and Dallas are like twins

Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers all day View Post
Dallas is not a mini L.A, yeah both cities have smog, they're both swarmed with Hispanics and both are business and commercial cities, dallas isn't at L.A's level. L.A looks way better with the palm trees everywhere and mountains, and the building and houses generally look better. weather wise they're kinda close, L.A is is just a mild dallas climate in summer dallas can go a week straight with highs in the 100's and winters with lows in the 30's and L.A summers days ranging from the 90's to the 70's on average and winters ranging from the 70's to the 50's while dallas can be snowing. Both cities do have great sports atmosphere tho. L.A tho is just... Different, I can't explain why but apart from the physical looks from the city it's like dallas but at the same time nothing like dallas at all
^ This

Dallas' topography & weather is WAY different than LA's. Its exactly like Oklahoma, Kansas, & the rest of those Great Plains states.

If any city in Texas is similar to LA it would be Houston. Freeways, skylines, palm trees, coastal, diversity, etc.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post

To me South Dallas looks like some rural backwater very poor southern community. I remember the first time I visited Dallas my cousin drove me through the hood and I seen people sitting on the banks either a small river or stream fishing in this nasty looking water in the middle of south Dallas. You will never see anything of the such in south central LA, or Boyle Heights/East LA. Dallas maybe clean in some areas, but it also has some slums and poor areas far worst than anything I've ever seen in Los Angeles.
Anywhere in LA including south central will have better weather than Dallas. Definitely agree on that point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City