Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That's true. So I wonder what the 55% was.
55% is percentage of jobs in the MSA - both are correct stats just different metrics

So out of the 2 Million jobs in the DC MSA 1.1 million are within a 10 mile radius of the core

the ~28% is the number of absolute jobs in the DC 10 mile radius core as a percentage of the same job volume in NYC

According to Ray's data these were the absolute counts at 10 miles

New York - 3,482,472
Los Angeles - 1,554,495
Chicago - 1,167,738
Washington DC - 1,011,162
Boston - 989,319
Philadelphia - 909,026
Houston - 892,579
San Francisco - 805,829
Seattle - 619,589
Miami - 522,722
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
55% is percentage of jobs in the MSA - both are correct stats just different metrics

So out of the 2 Million jobs in the DC MSA 1.1 million are within a 10 mile radius of the core

the ~28% is the number of absolute jobs in the DC 10 mile radius core as a percentage of the same job volume in NYC

According to Ray's data these were the absolute counts at 10 miles

New York - 3,482,472
Los Angeles - 1,554,495
Chicago - 1,167,738
Washington DC - 1,011,162
Boston - 989,319
Philadelphia - 909,026
Houston - 892,579
San Francisco - 805,829
Seattle - 619,589
Miami - 522,722

Why would D.C. have more jobs than NYC which has 23 million people? You can only make comparisons by percentage for metro area's that different. Really, NYC should be left out of these comparisons considering how much larger it is than D.C., Philly, Boston, San Fran, Chicago, etc. etc. etc. None of these cities are peer cities with NYC's size.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM

Employer Access to Labor by Transit: Profiles | Brookings Institution

Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Why would D.C. have more jobs than NYC which has 23 million people? You can only make comparisons by percentage for metro area's that different. Really, NYC should be left out of the considering how much larger it is then D.C., Philly, Boston, San Fran, Chicago, etc. etc. etc. None of these cities are peer cities with NYC's size.
agree - comparing the others is likely a better comparator as they are more similarly sized

Point to me is DC and some others are pretty core focused - NYC is just a monster

The others are are all more similar give or take

Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 AM

Is this rail only? My interest is for rail rapid transit at the 3-6 minute headway level during peak times. I'm trying to make a comparison for speed and convenience. I think that is just public transportation which is pointless for the comparison I want to see. I was trying to see what the difference between NYC and D.C. would be for going to work waiting only 3-6 minutes at most from arriving at the rail station, getting to work fast on rapid rail transit, and being only 1 mile from your job when you get to the station closest to your job.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Is this rail only?
dont believe it is, no not sure that exists

People use all forms of transit - not sure you could solely look only at rail

In DC when the street car is built and people move from bus to rail should they only count then?

And many buses are at these headways

what about an 8 minute headway? Honestly MD you continually make your requirements to meet what DC does with no regard to anything else.

How about we just say best Federal Capital cities; basically is similar to how you like to apply your criteria

DC does a good job on many levels - there are more than one type of transit and even peak 15 minute headways work well in many many places - but if you want make a statement that the DC has the best DC transit coverage in the country then ok...

Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
dont believe it is, no not sure that exists

People use all forms of transit - not sure you could solely look only at rail

In DC when the street car is built and people move from bus to rail should they only count then?

My interest is for rail rapid transit at the 3-6 minute headway level during peak times. I'm trying to make a comparison for speed and convenience. I think that is just public transportation which is pointless for the comparison I want to see.

I was trying to see what the difference between NYC and D.C. would be for going to work waiting only 3-6 minutes at most from arriving at the rail station, getting to work fast on rapid rail transit, and being only 1 mile from your job when you get to the station closest to your job.

The D.C. streetcar will not have peak headways at 3-6 minutes and will not be rapid rail transit.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:

what about an 8 minute headway? Honestly MD you continually make your requirements to meet what DC does with no regard to anything else.

How about we just say best Federal Capital cities; basically is similar to how you like to apply your criteria

DC does a good job on many levels - there are more than one type of transit and even peak 15 minute headways work well in many many places - but if you want make a statement that the DC has the best DC transit coverage in the country then ok...

What? Why do you always try to make me out to be such a bad person? The point I was making is if I'm going to work in the suburbs, how long will it take me to get there and what would the headways be? Also, how far would the rail station be from my job? Are you going to ride a streetcar 20 mile's from your house? No! I was looking at how long it takes and how close it will be to your job and what the headways would be.

Why is that a bad thing to want to know?

How would you get to work in the suburbs? A bus? How long is that going to take you? How close is it going to be to your job?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
My interest is for rail rapid transit at the 3-6 minute headway level during peak times. I'm trying to make a comparison for speed and convenience. I think that is just public transportation which is pointless for the comparison I want to see.

I was trying to see what the difference between NYC and D.C. would be for going to work waiting only 3-6 minutes at most from arriving at the rail station, getting to work fast on rapid rail transit, and being only 1 mile from your job when you get to the station closest to your job.

The D.C. streetcar will not have peak headways at 3-6 minutes and will not be rapid rail transit.
ok - but 1 mile is a pretty long walk - manageable but takes what another 25 minutes or so

So a 15 minute headway bus that drops someone off on the block could actually be more efficient in some ways

I just don't think solely looking at a specific form without any other perspective is a real story

Its hard to compare transit between cities perfectly as the systems are are different

Is a 12 mile regional rail line with 10 minute rush headways that drops you off at an employer in 25 minutes all that different from an heavy rail line with six minute headways that drops you 8 blocks away in 25 minutes? or even at the employer

I just don't see the relevance of the pure comparison - also to me many forms of light rail operate very efficient - look at the green lines in Boston etc.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
ok - but 1 mile is a pretty long walk - manageable but takes what another 25 minutes or so

So a 15 minute headway bus that drops someone off on the block could actually be more efficient in some ways

I just don't think solely looking at a specific form without any other perspective is a real story

Its hard to compare transit between cities perfectly as the systems are are different

Is a 12 mile regional rail line with 10 minute rush headways that drops you off at an employer in 25 minutes all that different from an heavy rail line with six minute headways that drops you 8 blocks away in 25 minutes? or even at the employer

I just don't see the relevance of the pure comparison - also to me many forms of light rail operate very efficient - look at the green lines in Boston etc.

Well

First, I wasn't comparing D.C. to the whole country, I said NYC and D.C. only and if you go back to the original post, you will see that.

Two, I was trying to make a comparison to which region has a more convenient way of getting to more jobs by percentage in their region which is a spin off on the discussion we were having. That's why I wondered about headways. I was trying to look at city center convenience around the region. Make it 1/2 mile for all I care.

Having said all that. Whatever, just forget I asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City