Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

When people talk about great nightlife are they talking about dance clubs playing dumb techno music till the wee hours with people not really socializing but texting each other. When I'm in Miami or Vegas they seem to be most like that. Or are they talking about an area with a combination of great pubs, bars, late night restaurants, cafes and coffee houses, jazz clubs and live music?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
When people talk about great nightlife are they talking about dance clubs playing dumb techno music till the wee hours with people not really socializing but texting each other. When I'm in Miami or Vegas they seem to be most like that. Or are they talking about an area with a combination of great pubs, bars, late night restaurants, cafes and coffee houses, jazz clubs and live music?
"Dumb techno music" shows your unfamiliarity with the music as a whole. Some is dumb though, I agree and chances are that the **** you've heard is that which is crappy pop electronica that hardly even counts in the realm of that type of music. There is AMAZING electronica out there that will take you to another place just by listening to it. Unfortunately, this stuff is not in the mainstream at all, probably for good reason, and takes a little bit of work to discover unless you are introduced to it by someone else.

When I talk about nightlife though, I mean it all - a variety of it from almost purely drinking to theater to live music.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-09-2014 at 12:43 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
You can find Latin-jazz clubs in Miami. Miami has all that. Late-night restaurants, coffee houses, bars, etc. Not really accurate to limit Miami to "dumb techno music" and texting. Are Jazz clubs really anymore make or break, than a Salsa club? Or hip-hop club? The more I'm on C-D, the more I feel folks don't really know Miami. Or anywhere besides where they live. No offense.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You can find Latin-jazz clubs in Miami. Miami has all that. Late-night restaurants, coffee houses, bars, etc. Not really accurate to limit Miami to "dumb techno music" and texting. Are Jazz clubs really anymore make or break, than a Salsa club? Or hip-hop club? The more I'm on C-D, the more I feel folks don't really know Miami. Or anywhere besides where they live. No offense.
Actually I found a couple of cool spots on my own the last time I was in Miami. The people who were taking us out actually lived in Miami. They were the ones taking us to these places. And yes jazz clubs do still exist around the world with many right here in North America. I love Miami but I knew these aquaintances were not the right ones to show us around.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:43 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
It looks and feels like a traditional downtown in every sense. It doesn't have the nightlife of the westside? Please tell me where all this westside nightlife is.
It looks and feels like a traditional Downtown of a much smaller city!

And Westside nightlife IS the king of LA.... period. The varieties of West Hollywood (I consider that West LA), Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Venice.... Amazing choices you can't find Downtown.... All these neighborhoods are a monster combined with Downtown. The nightlife in Pasadena, Silver Lake, and Long Beach is also a rival of DTLA. It's a rookie up and coming area.

All these DTLA people hating on the West Side and other areas... It is so lame.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Many say Le Diplomate is better than Parc by a wide margin. Don't shoot the messenger. Steven star said Philly is a discount restaurant city. It's not a place to get rich because they can't support it in his interview.
I don't think Parc is that great, the best part is their location on the square to be honest. Starr restaurants tend to be as much or more about the scene.

Stephen Starr Dishes on Le Diplomate, Future DC Plans - Spring Tracking - Eater DC

How Stephen Starr made Le Diplomate the hottest table in town - The Washington Post

Le Diplomate Archives | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 04-09-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
It looks and feels like a traditional Downtown of a much smaller city!

And Westside nightlife IS the king of LA.... period. The varieties of West Hollywood (I consider that West LA), Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Venice.... Amazing choices you can't find Downtown.... All these neighborhoods are a monster combined with Downtown. The nightlife in Pasadena, Silver Lake, and Long Beach is also a rival of DTLA. It's a rookie up and coming area.

All these DTLA people hating on the West Side and other areas... It is so lame.
This is past hilarious. First off West Hollywood is not the westside. Second, why on earth are you including an area that is probably 50 square miles or more to DTLA which is probably 5 square miles. The westside is a bedroom part of Lo Angeles. Westwood? Are you serious??? This is not the 80s. Westwood is having a problem right now with empty storefronts . Beverly Hills has some nice restaurants but it is far from a nightlife place. Venice? Santa Monica? They're ok. Still not nearly the nightlife options as DTLA. And no subway or lightrail options in all of those westside square miles. Like I said there is no area on the westsidside with the concentration of restaurants, nightlife, cultural amenities or even public transportation options as DTLA. Architecturally it looks like no other part of LA. Its not even that small considering the way the city is layed out.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I don't think Parc is that great, the best part is their location on the square to be honest. Starr restaurants tend to be as much or more about the scene.

Stephen Starr Dishes on Le Diplomate, Future DC Plans - Spring Tracking - Eater DC

How Stephen Starr made Le Diplomate the hottest table in town - The Washington Post

Le Diplomate Archives | Philadelphia Magazine

I wonder if the amount of money restaurants make in a city like DC is the reason so many chefs want a presence in DC all of a sudden. None of them could care less about DC a couple years ago. In your honest opinion Kidphilly, why are they all coming here now? It is kind of a slap in the face to the city's longtime residents. I guess it's like I said a couple pages ago.

DC didn't have a Latin American, European, or Asian population in the city for them to attach to like NYC, SF, Chicago, Philly, Boston, Seattle, Houston, New Orleans, Miami, or LA so maybe that's why they didn't care about DC.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I wonder if the amount of money restaurants make in a city like DC is the reason so many chefs want a presence in DC all of a sudden. None of them could care less about DC a couple years ago. In your honest opinion Kidphilly, why are they all coming here now? It is kind of a slap in the face to the city's longtime residents. I guess it's like I said a couple pages ago.

DC didn't have a Latin American, European, or Asian population in the city for them to attach to like NYC, SF, Chicago, Philly, Boston, Seattle, Houston, New Orleans, Miami, or LA so maybe that's why they didn't care about DC.
Money to be spent and unmet needs - these are sort or new to DC concepts that have existed in many other cities for years. So money to be spent and easy to differentiate from what has historically existed in DC

Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Money to be spent and unmet needs - these are sort or new to DC concepts that have existed in many other cities for years. So money to be spent and easy to differentiate from what has historically existed in DC
So you don't think race played any part of it? There were many upper class African American households in DC for years and they never came to the neighborhood. I think there is a major elephant in the room here. Money only plays a certain part in this. Look how many restaurants exist in poor areas in other cities. The requirement typically has to do with the race of that poor area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City