Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Huh? The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor has census tracts in the 40k-50k people per square mile range and that will only increase with what is being built there. So does Silver Spring Md. In 20 years, all metro lines will be like that. Have you seen what is being built around the DC metro station. Almost all growth will be funneled to metro stations by law here in the region. That's how Arlington Va got that way.
What part is directly contradictory here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What part is directly contradictory here?
What do you mean?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Huh? The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor has census tracts in the 40k-50k people per square mile range and that will only increase with what is being built there. So does Silver Spring Md. In 20 years, all metro lines will be like that. Have you seen what is being built around the DC metro stations? Almost all growth will be funneled to metro stations by law here in the region. That's how Arlington Va got that way. Row house neighborhoods don't reach 40k-50k density unless they have high-rises mixed in which means they aren't rowhouse neighborhoods.
40-50K where

they range between 7 and 20K (max) and within less 1/2 a mile drop sometimes below 3K

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map?ref=us

Places like Reston today are averaging in the areas closer to the Silver line are closer to 3-6K and drop below that just outside; even if based on your link they add the 30K by 2050 (that was the long range plan based on your link earlier) they would be on average like 10-12K at a small peak - that gives way to less dense very quickly in 40 years

edit : my bad I did find a 52K and 44K ppsm that has about 5K people living in them and represent .2 sq miles combined; the area averages far closer to 8-11K and drops off really fast to 4K or less - they were the outliers - and represent .1% of the metro population.

Now again I think the plan and development is good but the numbers and sheer densities you discuss are outliers as best and don't portray any large portion of the area - that is my issue - not the development itself but how you describe it incorrectly

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-14-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Huh? The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor has census tracts in the 40k-50k people per square mile range and that will only increase with what is being built there. So does Silver Spring Md. In 20 years, all metro lines will be like that. Have you seen what is being built around the DC metro stations? Almost all growth will be funneled to metro stations by law here in the region. That's how Arlington Va got that way. Row house neighborhoods don't reach 40k-50k density unless they have high-rises mixed in which means they aren't rowhouse neighborhoods.
ever been to South Philly or Queens?

they both achieve these level with rowhouse neighborhoods (South Philly has very few high rises) - with higher concentrations than Ballston or Rosslyn for sure - though most is closer to 30K including my neighborhood in Bella Vista and these are rowhouse neighborhoods in fact there may not be better examples of rowhouse neighborhoods in the country to be honest - but maybe you will one 6 story building somewhere and call it a high rise neighborhood I supoose

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-14-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
40-50K where

they range between 7 and 20K (max) and within less 1.2 a mile drop sometimes below 3K

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map?ref=us

Places like Reston today are averaging in the areas closer to the Silver line are closer to 3-6K and drop below that just outside; even if based on your link they add the 30K by 2050 (that was the long range plan based on your link earlier) they would be on average like 10-12K at a small peak - that gives way to less dense very quickly in 40 years

edit : my bad I did find a 52K and 44K ppsm that has about 5K people living in them and represent .2 sq miles combined; the area averages far closer to 8-11K and drops off really fast to 4K or less - they were the outliers - and represent .1% of the metro population.

Now again I think the plan and development is good but the numbers and sheer densities you discuss are outliers as best and don't portray any large portion of the area - that is my issue - not the development itself but how you describe it incorrectly

We will see how much of an outlier those are in the 2020 census. I will leave it at that.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
We will see how much of an outlier those are in the 2020 census. I will leave it at that.
to fill that corridor at 40-50K ppsm you need multiple 100's of thousands of people - this is basic math MD

And another thing is just because something is zoned for something does not make it be...

also it seems at least as much absolute growth to begin with is in SFH homes in places like Loudon

I like the development but your numbers well, just don't add up

Old 04-14-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
to fill that corridor at 40-50K ppsm you need multiple 100's of thousands of people - this is basic math MD

And another thing is just because something is zoned for something does not make it be...

also it seems at least as much absolute growth to begin with is in SFH homes in places like Loudon

I like the development but your numbers well, just don't add up
Ok. Hey Kidphilly, what kind of density do the Philly suburbs have since we're talking about suburbs? What kind of density with they have in 2020?

Old 04-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Ok. Hey Kidphilly, what kind of density do the Philly suburbs have since we're talking about suburbs? What kind of density with they have in 2020?
highly varied from <3k to 20-30K depending on the suburb probably will not change much between now and 2020

Old 04-14-2014, 05:25 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So would you consider L.A. to be a more centralized metro than Chicago?
No, but DTLA is more centrally located within its region. The Chicago Loop is on a lakefront.
Quote:
Isn't it zips (edge of the zip not the geographic mid point of say Century city) within 10 miles of the main zip (edge of that zip)

looked to me that westwood and burbank would make that cut by a mile or so (meaning the closest zip borders are less than the 10 mile distance so all the zips qualify

either way is an impressive number, but just loosely adding add up job centers without those it appeared the 1.6 number was way high with them it seemed spot on - I think they are actually included actually based on some quick math
Ok. I could see how Century City and Burbank sneak in that way. Still not sure about Westwood--the geographic heart is a good 13 miles from DTLA. Regardless, it's a boatload of jobs and humanity. I would love to do a job count of just Central LA and the Westside.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Quote:
highly varied from <3k to 20-30K depending on the suburb probably will not change much between now and 2020
Remind me which Philadelphia suburbs have densities of 20-30K? That's average SF city limits density...probably average Philly city limits density over much of the city. It's pretty undisputable that overall, CA suburbs are the most dense on average. SF's suburbs range from 5K (mostly around the Valley and in to Santa Clara County where San Jose is) to 11,000 ppsm (Berkeley) to 13,000 ppsm (Daly City) down to 3,200 ppsm (Walnut Creek way out in the East Bay). Having family in the Philly burbs, I find it very very hard to comprehend that they are any denser than the most dense suburban cities of the Bay Area, which don't really top 13,000 ppsm and rarely exceed 10,000 ppsm. Camden, NJ is less than 9,000 ppsm and is probably the most dense Philly suburb I can think of (it is essentially right across the river).

NYC has a lot of dense suburbs, but overall in its expansive MSA land area definitions, has a ton of super low density suburbs, as well (very typical for most of the country, especially the NE). The only 3 metro areas that actually maintain high density by American standards are the Bay Area, Los Angeles, and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City