Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best city to be a white person?
Boston 39 8.99%
Seattle 64 14.75%
Minneapolis 43 9.91%
Cleveland 4 0.92%
Denver 19 4.38%
Portland 76 17.51%
St Louis 5 1.15%
Tampa 9 2.07%
Pittsburgh 30 6.91%
Salt Lake City 124 28.57%
Other 21 4.84%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
That's why, they're expected to assimilate into American whiteness.
That may be the most confusing counterpoint I've ever experienced.....what's why? I just said they don't assimilate to (stereotypical) mainsteam white culture (maybe the key word there is "mainstream").

Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I don't consider either city as being "overly white" though, regardless of what some may say. And I agree with Cleverfield that you can't really avoid other races while living in Cleveland, and I personally have never lived in a city that feels as black as Cleveland does, but a big part of that is that I live on Cleveland's east side, which literally is 50% or more black, on average.
Ill just say it. Based on metro area statistics, I do not consider Cleveland nor Pittsburgh diverse. There are a lot of black people in Cleveland no doubt, but it takes more than that to me.

That doesnt mean I dont enjoy visiting both. Ive been to both and had good times in both with nothing bad to say of either, but they arent diverse.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM

12 posts, read 17,626 times
Anywhere, USA

Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Black and white are no longer diverse these days. Quite frankly, that's the norm in the South. When you begin to have at least 3 races with a somewhat high presence, that's when you can call yourself diverse.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Black and white are no longer diverse these days. Quite frankly, that's the norm in the South. When you begin to have at least 3 races with a somewhat high presence, that's when you can call yourself diverse.
I would define the minimum standard of diversity as this:

1) A metro area that is less than 60% non-Hispanic and non-Arabic white.
2) A metro area that is at least 10% of three racial groups
3) A metro area that has at least 5% of all major racial groups
4) A metro area that is at least 12% foreign born
5) A metro area with the largest two racial groups make up less than 80% of the total population

But hey, thats just me.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
A smart, ambitious and sophisticated white person is going to choose cities like Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, Buffalo, Louisville and Columbus over cities like New York, Chicago, Washington, San Francisco and Los Angeles?

Oh yeah, sure. I can see it now. ;-)

Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ill just say it. Based on metro area statistics, I do not consider Cleveland nor Pittsburgh diverse. There are a lot of black people in Cleveland no doubt, but it takes more than that to me.

That doesnt mean I dont enjoy visiting both. Ive been to both and had good times in both with nothing bad to say of either, but they arent diverse.
I agree and have always said that diversity goes well beyond race alone. I'm just saying that in terms of racial diversity, Cleveland isn't lacking -- at least on the East Side and the near-West Side.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I would define the minimum standard of diversity as this:

1) A metro area that is less than 60% non-Hispanic and non-Arabic white.
2) A metro area that is at least 10% of three racial groups
3) A metro area that has at least 5% of all major racial groups
4) A metro area that is at least 12% foreign born
5) A metro area with the largest two racial groups make up less than 80% of the total population

But hey, thats just me.
But aren't the "big three" Asian, Hispanic and Black/African? So why differentiate between #'s 2 and 3 above? Because I presume you mean >5%-10% for non-white racial groups, since either of those statistics is a slam-dunk in most places for white, non-Hispanic groups. I'm not aware of another racial group that is uniformally >5% of a metro population in most diverse cities (Native Americans? Pacific Islanders -- although aren't they technically "Asian"?).

Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM

302 posts, read 368,673 times
Touche on living in Boise ! Good for you , it's a nice place BUT how many times have you been to places in your state like a visitor ?
Coeur d' Alene? , River of no return? , Nez Perce Forest? , Hells' Gate? , Ketchum, Idaho ? ,Wallace, Idaho ? ( where Lana Turner was born ) .

My point is even though you may live in a place , you may not be aware of what is currently happening there or historically for that matter .
BTW I live in a major city and confess I'm not up to speed on things my visiting relatives pointed out to me on their recent trip here last summer . Like when was the last time I saw a B'way show ? - ummmm ? maybe 7 years and when the ?$%^ is the statue of liberty gonna fully open to the public ?

LOL I sure didn't know and I live here !

Just sayin .

Also , my mind is made up , it doesn't matter to me how White or non - White a town is .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I live in Boise lol. I've also lived in Utah and Oregon and researched info online before I posted what you quoted. Just because you have been to a state doesn't mean you know everything about that state.

Besides, you seem to have your mind made up and there is nothing wrong with how white a place is at the end of the day.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:

Obviously you didn't spend much time on the West Side. Cleveland has a pretty large Hispanic population (I believe 10% of the city's population is Hispanic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City