Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM

27 posts, read 48,176 times

Advertisements

1. New York City
9. Indianapolis

5. San Diego
4. Minneapolis/St. Paul
--------------------
3. Atlanta
6. Portland

7. San Antonio
2. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
------------------------------------------
1. Los Angeles
8. Las Vegas

5. Tampa/St. Peters
4. Seattle
--------------------
3. Boston
6. Charlotte

10. Milwaukee
2. Washington DC
1. Chicago
9. Austin

5. St. Louis
4. Detroit
--------------------
14. Honolulu
6. Pittsburgh

10. Providence
2. Philadelphia
1. Dallas/Ft. Worth
9. Nashville

12. New Orleans
13. Grand Rapids
--------------------
3. Phoenix
6. Denver

7. Cincinnati
2. Houston

Next round: Character
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 04:12 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Anymore questions?
Nah, no more questions... I can see who I'm voting for now.

Definitely Atlanta and Houston. From what you list, I think Houston has more to offer than Cincy, and Atlanta has more to offer than Portland.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
1. New York City
9. Indianapolis

5. San Diego
4. Minneapolis/St. Paul
--------------------
3. Atlanta
6. Portland

7. San Antonio
2. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
1. Los Angeles
8. Las Vegas

5. Tampa/St. Peters
4. Seattle
--------------------
3. Boston
6. Charlotte

10. Milwaukee
2. Washington DC
1. Chicago
9. Austin

5. St. Louis
4. Detroit
--------------------
14. Honolulu
6. Pittsburgh

10. Providence
2. Philadelphia
1. Dallas/Ft. Worth
9. Nashville

12. New Orleans
13. Grand Rapids
--------------------
3. Phoenix
6. Denver

7. Cincinnati
2. Houston

NEXT ROUND: Beauty

Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

Definitely Atlanta and Houston. From what you list, I think Houston has more to offer than Cincy, and Atlanta has more to offer than Portland.
Houston and Atlanta aren't urban cities though. Houston in particular doesn't have an urban neighborhood at all and it's infrastructure is pathetic when it comes to transit. All around transit, even the lack of bus rapid transit (it just has a bus system, not a rapid transit bus system). It's finally getting bus rapid transit, hello, thank you Houston for getting with the program and getting with the times. Finally.

Cincinnati's Downtown and Over-the-Rhine neighborhoods are things Houston doesn't have and never will have. Simply because they don't make cities like that anymore, the nonsense being built today is "new urbanism".

Portland to Atlanta, again, Portland will easily have a very neat little core, very walkable and very friendly environment for pedestrians. The transit system is lauded (correctly) for it's size and is one of the best for a medium sized city in this country. In general, Portland's sprawl containment and new urbanism tactics have worked very well for it.

Houston is a manageable place, like other maligned cities on this forum (Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Baltimore) it has it's perks. Afterall, it's a big city, it covers more ground for more people. It's just that you cant divorce your car when it comes to living in Houston yet, I mean sure some of the smaller neighborhoods you wont need any but that can be said of anywhere.

Houston and Atlanta and Miami and Dallas, their advantages are in their amenities. Being larger places, they have a lot to offer. Philadelphia's is in it's urban design and city build, it too has the amenities to match a metropolis of 7 million people, just cosmopolitanism is its weakness. I don't have ill feelings for any of these places, and apologize if I've come across that way to anyone, but they aren't cities for everyone. No where is.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-08-2014 at 07:59 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
1. New York City
5. San Diego
3. Atlanta
2. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
1. Los Angeles
4. Seattle
3. Boston
2. Washington DC
1. Chicago
5. St. Louis
14. Honolulu
2. Philadelphia
1. Dallas/Ft. Worth
12. New Orleans
3. Phoenix
2. Houston

Next: Character

Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Houston and Atlanta aren't urban cities though..
Then you've missed the point of the whole tournament. We're not voting on which city has a more urban core. Nor are we voting on which "urban core" has better food. If that were the case, the tournament becomes invalid because cities like Grand Rapids and Riverside (which are not urban core cities) have absolutely no point in being in the tournament... Urban core is not a factor.

FOOD is the question. In this round, in which city (urban or not) has a better food scene?

From what I know, Atlanta has a very good food scene that gets underrated. I'm only leaning towards Houston because I don't like Cincinnati chili. I'm not impressed with food in Cincinnati personally. Portland as far as food is..... Eh.... at best. Nice city, yes. But that doesn't make it a great place for food.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Then you've missed the point of the whole tournament. We're not voting on which city has a more urban core. Nor are we voting on which "urban core" has better food. If that were the case, the tournament becomes invalid because cities like Grand Rapids and Riverside (which are not urban core cities) have absolutely no point in being in the tournament... Urban core is not a factor.

FOOD is the question. In this round, in which city (urban or not) has a better food scene?

From what I know, Atlanta has a very good food scene that gets underrated. I'm only leaning towards Houston because I don't like Cincinnati chili. I'm not impressed with food in Cincinnati personally. Portland as far as food is..... Eh.... at best. Nice city, yes. But that doesn't make it a great place for food.
You're right, my apologies. I stand corrected.
Quote:

I didn't realize you were talking about only food here. Thought you meant just overall, which is why I threw out that Portland and Cincinnati would offer a more urban environment for those that only want that. Didn't realize you were talking strictly food.

Yes, you're right, when it comes to food then it's easily over Cincinnati and Atlanta is most probably over Portland.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 PM

People, please don't go and disregard the voting criteria and start voting on which city is more urban. That would be completely beside the point of the match-ups...

Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
You're right, my apologies. I stand corrected.

I didn't realize you were talking about only food here. Thought you meant just overall, which is why I threw out that Portland and Cincinnati would offer a more urban environment for those that only want that. Didn't realize you were talking strictly food.

Yes, you're right, when it comes to food then it's easily over Cincinnati and Atlanta is most probably over Portland.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No worries.

And I'm not mad at anyone who says Cincy over Houston. I just personally didn't enjoy my Cincy food experience, so I'm going Houston by default. Portland doesn't impress me though.
I think most people assume Portland just cause it's a much nice little urban city than Atlanta, but that has nothing to do with how good the food experience is there.

I'm glad to see people voting for DC.

C'mon Phoenix!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
1. New York City
9. Indianapolis

5. San Diego
4. Minneapolis/St. Paul
--------------------
3. Atlanta
6. Portland

7. San Antonio
2. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
1. Los Angeles
8. Las Vegas

5. Tampa/St. Peters
4. Seattle
--------------------
3. Boston
6. Charlotte

10. Milwaukee
2. Washington DC
1. Chicago
9. Austin

5. St. Louis
4. Detroit
--------------------
14. Honolulu
6. Pittsburgh

10. Providence
2. Philadelphia
1. Dallas/Ft. Worth
9. Nashville

12. New Orleans
13. Grand Rapids
--------------------
3. Phoenix
6. Denver

7. Cincinnati
2. Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City